Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pros and Cons of Marriage

Thanks
    Thanked 18,107 Times in 5,911 Posts

Default Re: Pros and Cons of Marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    Always remember this simple phrase: "Women forgive, but never forget; Men forget but never forgive." Consider that before you cheat on your spouse, whomever they are.
    Ah, yes, i love a good gender stereotype. -_-

Maybe instead, before you cheat on your spouse, think of your values and how you don't want to hurt another human being, rather than just weighing potential repercussions.

But anyway...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charlie61 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 26,065 Times in 9,671 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed

Another con Im thinking of is decision making.

While it can be great to consult someone before making decisions (especially if the other person is more wise about the subject) it seems there would be times it would be frustrating to have to consult someone else who isn’t a strong decision maker/action taker on certain areas.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,086 Times in 2,829 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by jack0177057 View Post

In community property states like Texas, the "community property" is split 50% each.
    Not necessarily.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/FA/htm/FA.7.htm

5. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 969 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charlie61 View Post
    Ah, yes, i love a good gender stereotype. -_-
    Kinda hard not to do when using a simple rhyming phrase. But it'll keep you off the waitress at that greasy spoon that I mentioned.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

Thanks
    Thanked 18,107 Times in 5,911 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post
    Another con Im thinking of is decision making.

While it can be great to consult someone before making decisions (especially if the other person is more wise about the subject) it seems there would be times it would be frustrating to have to consult someone else who isn’t a strong decision maker/action taker on certain areas.
    That's true! I've found that my relationships usually have a natural balance in that regard, but i could imagine issues coming up around kids, for example.

There are a lot of creative ways of getting around potential issues. You might think this is weird, but my partner and i buy groceries separately to avoid any potential disagreements about inequalities in what was purchased. We share the groceries once we purchase them, but we purchase groceries separately. For example, i don't drink at all, and i don't eat any sugar, so it'd be weird to me if we bought a cart full of groceries together, including a six-pack of beer and an apple pie, when i won't be consuming either of those things. I don't know if that makes any sense the way I'm explaining it, lol. We have a shared checking account that we put money into when we pay shared bills, like the mortgage and utilities, but stuff like food, personal purchases, and entertainment are personal expenses that we wouldn't use our shared account for.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to charlie61 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charlie61 View Post
    Jack, i think you make a fair point, and i think i agree - in the case that one person makes $0 and the other makes enough money to support the home, i think it's in the best interest of the zero-earnings spouse to get married.

I've never been in that situation. My ex made more money than I, but i always had my own money, and we split bills equally (we didn't share finances whatsoever). I can imagine that i would feel very disempowered and paranoid if i didn't have my own source of income, and were also unmarried.
    I agree with you, and that's why I made the disclaimer that my comment only applies when there is a significant discrepancy in income levels.

Dancers make great income, so, most of the time, it would not apply to dancers, unless a dancer quits dancing due to pressure from her SO or because she gets pregnant and wants to focus on her baby. (I'm saying, if she stops dancing. I'm not saying she should.) Then, she is giving up a lot significant earning potential. She will not get compensate for that, if the couple is just co-habitating, and they break up 5, 10, 15 years later, etc.
    Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.
    - Oscar Wilde

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jack0177057 For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456