God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,366 Times in 3,770 Posts

Default Secrets To Avoid Getting Mugged

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 968 Posts

Default Re: Secrets To Avoid Getting Mugged

I once had a Lesbian Woman ask me to loan her three hundred and fifty dollars to get a gun so she could go down to Ladue (One of the richer parts of Saint Louis) and mug people. I was like "NO." In general I liked her, But I thought that was a hairbrained idea. You can't get a gun for 350$, first of all, so this likely would have been bought out of the trunk of some dude's car. And I just didn't want to deal with it.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Raziel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,937 Times in 785 Posts
    My Mood
    Innocent

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    You can't get a gun for 350$
    I reserved a hand gun under $350 that was a 2021 model, so they are available just under that amount and can be picked up after a complete background check, as well can register for a gun course.
    Was very close to getting a gun after almost getting mugged, having witnessed a stranger breaking into my Family home as a child and being held as a hostage at gun point..I really take no chances.
    I carry a blade under my bed, pepper spray, tasers and anything else that can come to my aid. Invested in high security cameras, locks, alarms and even a companion to bite their ass on the way out.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BambiCutie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 26,057 Times in 9,667 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed

^Ill find ANYTHING to use as a weapon if need be

pay attention to surroundings, take out headphones, try not to be alone after dark and/or shady parts of town, etc

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 968 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BambiCutie View Post
    I reserved a hand gun under $350 that was a 2021 model, so they are available just under that amount and can be picked up after a complete background check
    There was no way this Woman was going to pass a background check, and this was quite a while ago. And most guns cost 600$ or more. With respect. But, most of the time, they cost a bit of a penny.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,086 Times in 2,829 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,424 Times in 1,627 Posts
    My Mood
    Devilish

This made me want to throw up that there are people out there like this. Don't most thefts threaten with a weapon but don't act because they don't want a murder charge?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I will readily admit gender and size privilege on this. Last time I got mugged I was but a wee lad.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DeathAndTaxes For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Here are some interesting thoughts on the subject by an experienced law enforcement officer.

"First, my info. I worked in the street of one of America's most violent, dangerous cities for 15 years. I usually worked in the worst part of that city. I spent 15 years in patrol. I liked patrol. It was wild. Most of the time I worked in areas covered in ghetto. By that I mean large housing projects combined with run down slum housing. I have worked all shifts. Later I became an investigator including a robbery investigator. I have spent countless hours in interrogation rooms talking to hold up men. I know them. I am still an investigator but have quit playing the Robbery game because my family was starting to forget what I looked like. "

"Some may object to me calling hold up men "the enemy". You can call them whatever you like. I can assure you however they are as deadly an enemy as you will find anywhere but the battlefield. Even many soldiers probably lack the viciousness and utter disregard for life most hold up men possess.

No one wakes up in the morning one day and decides to become an armed robber. It is a gradual process that requires some experience and desensitizing. Before a man will pick up a gun and threaten to kill people who have done him no harm in order to get their usually meager possessions he has to get comfortable with some things.

He has to get used to seeing others as objects for him to exploit. He has to accept he may be killed while robbing. He has to accept the felony conviction for Robbery will haunt him all his life. He has to accept he may need to kill a completely innocent person to get away with his crime.

This is a process that starts with stealing candy at the corner store as a child. It progresses through bigger property crimes that may also involve violence. But one day G gets tired of selling his stolen property for nothing and decides it would be better to steal cash. Cut out all that tiresome sales stuff.

Keep in mind many petty thieves, auto burglars, residential and commercial burglars, paper thieves, and hustlers will get to that point and decide not to become armed robbers. Most will. It is a special group of outliers who decide threatening to kill people for a few dollars is the way to go.

Once a man starts armed robbing he has crossed a line most won't. Don't forget that when you are looking these bastards in the eye. Their decision to kill you is already made. Your life means nothing to him. Only his does. His sole motivation for not killing you is he doesn't want a murder case. He has already accepted he may pick one up though."

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/...ics/5-1285487/

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post
    ^Ill find ANYTHING to use as a weapon if need be

pay attention to surroundings, take out headphones, try not to be alone after dark and/or shady parts of town, etc
    According to the video, mace is effective. So is a whistle or an alarm.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

21. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 26,057 Times in 9,667 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed

I do have some mace I think a good point the dude brought up was to have it in your hand not tucked away deep inside your purse

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,792 Times in 1,960 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    According to the video, mace is effective. So is a whistle or an alarm.
    What you buy as a civilian isn’t mace (CS/CN), it’s pepper spray (OC). Even law enforcement has largely moved away from mace to OC, albeit at a much higher concentration than what you can buy as a civilian. And it’s quite unpleasant. I know this all too well after the pigs in Raleigh went ballistic with it and saturated the whole crowd.
    Life asked Death, “Death, why do people love me but hate you?”

Death responded, “Because you are a beautiful lie… and I am a painful truth”

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 1,480 Posts

I just bought some mace for my key chain. I have a taser and a mace gun I take with me to shady areas, but I don’t usually it take the gym. It’s sad, but I need it every where I go. I’ve heard of girls getting raped in the locker room. After the sexual harassing I experienced, I’m taking my mace everywhere! Good to hear it’s a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
    This made me want to throw up that there are people out there like this. Don't most thefts threaten with a weapon but don't act because they don't want a murder charge?
    I wouldn’t count on that logic. Maybe the newbie criminals will try to avoid shooting you, but there’s some criminals who won’t hesitate. You never know.
    Focus more on what you want than on what you don’t want

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

I used to have pepper spray on my keychain but I just see that as a bad idea because I tested it out once just to see how it works and it got in my eyes (kinda like when you spray a room with lysol and it spreads onto your clothes and room or in the case you need to run their direction to get somewhere safe)....thank god I didn't hesitate in the past when a random gang member came up to my car and tried to steal my vehicle (asking me for directions in the past and then claiming the car was now owned by the mexican mafia gang). I simply backed my car up and attempted to run them over. They moved out of my way but I bought my car so I wasn't planning on giving it away nor was I gonna die eating tacos in my car before an appointment. God knows if they had a weapon.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 1,480 Posts

D741BE5E-4505-4BDD-91CF-9463F55912A6.jpg^^^This what I have. Like I said it is big too carry everywhere I go. I’d take it with me if it’s dark outside. It comes out at 110 miles per hour, so it doesn’t blow back in the wind.
    Focus more on what you want than on what you don’t want

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Be sure to stand upwind of the criminal.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Be sure to stand upwind of the criminal.
    I don't think people plan to be attacked or threatened. It just happens in an instant. Wherever you're at is where it happens.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

^ I am pretty sure he is joking, I don't think any of you gals have ever pissed into the wind, hilarious.

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

The point being if you use a spray, it can blow back on you and you should be sure to stand upwind of the criminal who attacks you. As Indiegirl astutely observed, you may not be able to do that.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,661 Times in 5,753 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    I once had a Lesbian Woman ask me to loan her three hundred and fifty dollars to get a gun so she could go down to Ladue (One of the richer parts of Saint Louis) and mug people. I was like "NO." In general I liked her, But I thought that was a hairbrained idea. You can't get a gun for 350$, first of all, so this likely would have been bought out of the trunk of some dude's car. And I just didn't want to deal with it.
    A sad truth- most guns used to commit crimes are stolen. Burglary to get a gun to use is a small thing to someone determined to use the gun for something.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,661 Times in 5,753 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Here are some interesting thoughts on the subject by an experienced law enforcement officer.

"First, my info. I worked in the street of one of America's most violent, dangerous cities for 15 years. I usually worked in the worst part of that city. I spent 15 years in patrol. I liked patrol. It was wild. Most of the time I worked in areas covered in ghetto. By that I mean large housing projects combined with run down slum housing. I have worked all shifts. Later I became an investigator including a robbery investigator. I have spent countless hours in interrogation rooms talking to hold up men. I know them. I am still an investigator but have quit playing the Robbery game because my family was starting to forget what I looked like. "

"Some may object to me calling hold up men "the enemy". You can call them whatever you like. I can assure you however they are as deadly an enemy as you will find anywhere but the battlefield. Even many soldiers probably lack the viciousness and utter disregard for life most hold up men possess.

No one wakes up in the morning one day and decides to become an armed robber. It is a gradual process that requires some experience and desensitizing. Before a man will pick up a gun and threaten to kill people who have done him no harm in order to get their usually meager possessions he has to get comfortable with some things.

He has to get used to seeing others as objects for him to exploit. He has to accept he may be killed while robbing. He has to accept the felony conviction for Robbery will haunt him all his life. He has to accept he may need to kill a completely innocent person to get away with his crime.

This is a process that starts with stealing candy at the corner store as a child. It progresses through bigger property crimes that may also involve violence. But one day G gets tired of selling his stolen property for nothing and decides it would be better to steal cash. Cut out all that tiresome sales stuff.

Keep in mind many petty thieves, auto burglars, residential and commercial burglars, paper thieves, and hustlers will get to that point and decide not to become armed robbers. Most will. It is a special group of outliers who decide threatening to kill people for a few dollars is the way to go.

Once a man starts armed robbing he has crossed a line most won't. Don't forget that when you are looking these bastards in the eye. Their decision to kill you is already made. Your life means nothing to him. Only his does. His sole motivation for not killing you is he doesn't want a murder case. He has already accepted he may pick one up though."

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/...ics/5-1285487/
    This did remind me of the cops who got fired from the San Francisco police department for stealing fajitas from some random people on the street. The incident was called "FajitaGate."

My other thought about LEOs? "The line between a cop and a criminal is a thin one."

Also- if you want to avoid losing all your valuables when you're forced to be in bad neighborhoods, buy a wrist wallet or stuff large cash bills and your ID in your shoe.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks

There are new guns in the 250-450 range, I inherited a Taurus .380, practically mint, a copy of the Barretta, but not nearly as smooth. When I was evaluating I noticed the Barretta was smoother than the S&W for example, the SIG priced higher, was an even finer machine. So you do get what you pay for, but when push comes to shove, a bad guy is in your face, I don't think he going to think much about the brand of barrel he is staring into. ;-)
    Originally Posted by
    I don't know what it is about me that says "wife me up." Everyone wants to choke me or date me. Or both. This job is weird.

Originally Posted by Nocturnelle
    ... Kittens are assholes but they're just so darn cute.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CFMNH44 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

God/dess
    Thanks

Here's a good video showing how to escape choke holds. Some of these moves probably take some practice.

47. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast