Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secrets To Avoid Getting Mugged

Thanks
    Thanked 26,049 Times in 9,664 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed

Default Re: Secrets To Avoid Getting Mugged

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    The point being if you use a spray, it can blow back on you and you should be sure to stand upwind of the criminal who attacks you. As Indiegirl astutely observed, you may not be able to do that.
    But isn’t this why it comes out as a stream n not as a spray, per say?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,783 Times in 1,957 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical

Quote Originally Posted by CFMNH44 View Post
    There are new guns in the 250-450 range, I inherited a Taurus .380, practically mint, a copy of the Barretta, but not nearly as smooth. When I was evaluating I noticed the Barretta was smoother than the S&W for example, the SIG priced higher, was an even finer machine. So you do get what you pay for, but when push comes to shove, a bad guy is in your face, I don't think he going to think much about the brand of barrel he is staring into. ;-)
    Have you had any luck finding .380 ammo lately? Though even that isn’t as tough as the unicorn I’m trying to chase at the moment.
    Life asked Death, “Death, why do people love me but hate you?”

Death responded, “Because you are a beautiful lie… and I am a painful truth”

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 968 Posts

https://greencountryammo.com/380-ACP...ulk_p_166.html

I think. I don't know if it's good or not, and it's like two hundred and fifty bucks. If that helps you Child.

And what's the Unicorn, maybe i can help you with that.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

Thanks, but I have enough .380. Namely because I don’t have a .380. What I’m having a hard time finding at not exorbitant prices is .30 carbine, which is unfortunate for me because my favorite of the guns I own is my Inland M1 carbine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post
    But isn’t this why it comes out as a stream n not as a spray, per say?
    It depends on the circumstance, sometimes if the wind is blowing hard enough it can blow it right back into your face. So Slowpoke is right in that regard, but sometimes positioning yourself isn't an option. I mean, what if you're cornered? Get that shit right in his eyes, you'll get less and he'll get more. Getting a little pepper spray in your eyes is better than getting raped or murdered.

And don't forget the mouth, hit him there. Most likely when he gets that shit in his eyes he'll scream so spray, spray, spray!

Or just buy a Pistol and keep it in your purse, that's not gonna come back on you whatever the wind is.
    Last edited by Raziel; 04-11-2021 at 10:49 AM.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,086 Times in 2,829 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by AChildOfBoredom View Post
    Thanks, but I have enough .380. Namely because I don’t have a .380. What I’m having a hard time finding at not exorbitant prices is .30 carbine, which is unfortunate for me because my favorite of the guns I own is my Inland M1 carbine.
    http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/30carbine/

Does that help?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    It depends on the circumstance, sometimes if the wind is blowing hard enough it can blow it right back into your face. So Slowpoke is right in that regard, but sometimes positioning yourself isn't an option. I mean, what if you're cornered? Get that shit right in his eyes, you'll get less and he'll get more. Getting a little pepper spray in your eyes is better than getting raped or murdered.

And don't forget the mouth, hit him there. Most likely when he gets that shit in his eyes he'll scream so spray, spray, spray!

Or just buy a Pistol and keep it in your purse, that's not gonna come back on you whatever the wind is.

That being the point.

There is also wasp and hornet spray which comes in nice big cans and shoots a long spray. However it has been pointed out it is a violation of federal law to use an insecticide in a manner contrary to the label. "The label is the law"

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Have you had any luck finding .380 ammo lately? Though even that isn’t as tough as the unicorn I’m trying to chase at the moment.
    http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/380acp/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That being the point.

There is also wasp and hornet spray which comes in nice big cans and shoots a long spray. However it has been pointed out it is a violation of federal law to use an insecticide in a manner contrary to the label. "The label is the law"
    What? I'm sorry but that didn't make any sense to me. What does Bug Spray have to do with a mugging? Honest question. I suppose if someone is chasing you around your house...

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    What? I'm sorry but that didn't make any sense to me. What does Bug Spray have to do with a mugging? Honest question. I suppose if someone is chasing you around your house...

It is said to be as or more effective than mace or pepper spray as a deterrent. I don't know if that is true. Also it sprays about 20 feet in a stream.
    Last edited by slowpoke; 04-11-2021 at 03:01 PM.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,365 Times in 3,770 Posts

Here's a guide with the different options for pepper spray. There's one that shoots pepper spray balls, that explode on impact.

https://readytogosurvival.com/pepper-spray/

1st rule: Make sure you point it in the right direction. Otherwise this could happen:

https://youtu.be/y84azA0pdg0?t=124

Thanks

It is said to be as or more effective than mace or pepper spray as a deterrent. I don't know if that is true. Also it sprays about 20 feet in a stream.
    The problem is that it's HUGE. Where's she supposed to keep it? She's not going to get mugged at home. Women better have a big purse!

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Never understood why those were not more popular. In about '85 Woolworth's had rebuilt Carbines for $99 and Garands for $125. I am still kicking myself for not getting at least one of each.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 18,365 Times in 5,951 Posts

The point being if you use a spray, it can blow back on you and you should be sure to stand upwind of the criminal who attacks you.

Yup, a police officer told me this a long time ago. He said that especially if it's windy outside, you've gotta be real careful when using pepper spray. I've never been sprayed with it, but I've been in the same room as a guy who WAS pepper sprayed, and I (and everyone else in the room) started coughing and had to get the fuck outta there and go outside.
    https://twitter.com/yummybrownfox

"This isn't Burger King. You can't have it your way." - Tim McManus on HBO's Oz

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

Never understood why those were not more popular. In about '85 Woolworth's had rebuilt Carbines for $99 and Garands for $125. I am still kicking myself for not getting at least one of each.
    Garand is way cumbersome for me, but the little M1 carbine is perfect. Thanks for the link, though I can’t seem to find it now? I was looking for ammo locally, but I ordered some.

Thanks

OK, well, I just carry a Pistol. Don't fuck with pepper spray so I don't know all that much about it. But I still think getting a bit of pepper in your eyes is a lot better than getting raped or murdered. Sure, it's gonna be hard to get out of there, but he got a facefull so it's gonna be next to impossible for him. I'm just saying that positioning yourself can sometimes be tough, it doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing, hit that dude with everything you've got.

Featured Member
    Thanks

Ha! Hearing ammo prices are up 3X. Everywhere... Chase that unicorn! They get faster the older you get... ;-)
    Originally Posted by
    I don't know what it is about me that says "wife me up." Everyone wants to choke me or date me. Or both. This job is weird.

Originally Posted by Nocturnelle
    ... Kittens are assholes but they're just so darn cute.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CFMNH44 For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Situational awareness is key. Don't get lost in yourself, the predators are always watching.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarah101 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,365 Times in 3,770 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BambiCutie View Post
    I reserved a hand gun under $350 that was a 2021 model, so they are available just under that amount and can be picked up after a complete background check, as well can register for a gun course.
    Was very close to getting a gun after almost getting mugged, having witnessed a stranger breaking into my Family home as a child and being held as a hostage at gun point..I really take no chances.
    I carry a blade under my bed, pepper spray, tasers and anything else that can come to my aid. Invested in high security cameras, locks, alarms and even a companion to bite their ass on the way out.
    If you're concerned about someone breaking into your house or apartment, you can get a door security bar for your main entrance and/or your bedroom door for extra protection. If he gets into your home, you could lock yourself in your bedroom and call the police.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-S...df_B0002YUX8I/

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,054 Times in 2,466 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by BambiCutie View Post
    I reserved a hand gun under $350 that was a 2021 model, so they are available just under that amount and can be picked up after a complete background check, as well can register for a gun course.
    Was very close to getting a gun after almost getting mugged, having witnessed a stranger breaking into my Family home as a child and being held as a hostage at gun point..I really take no chances.
    I carry a blade under my bed, pepper spray, tasers and anything else that can come to my aid. Invested in high security cameras, locks, alarms and even a companion to bite their ass on the way out.
    In through a window and out through the front door in a bag. Sounds like the right approach to me. The dog is a big help too as it should give you enough warning to be ready to take down the piece of shit.

Here in NE FL you'd have to be a moron to break into an occupied house as many of them have arms, dogs or both. In fact, in all my years here, I haven't heard a single story involving a home invasion of an occupied house.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    If you're concerned about someone breaking into your house or apartment, you can get a door security bar for your main entrance and/or your bedroom door for extra protection. If he gets into your home, you could lock yourself in your bedroom and call the police.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-S...df_B0002YUX8I/
    THEN grab the bug spray. Get that shit right in his eyes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12