Thread: How does your club do music?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Question How does your club do music?

By this, I mean primarily for stage sets. Does your DJ ask you what you want? Do you give them a playlist/CD/song? Do you have a jukebox you pick from?

I'll be starting soon and I'm nervous that, because I'm working in a Midwest city, they'll play something I just can't dance to. Not to sound picky, but there are some types of music that just throw me off my vibe.

Thanks

Default Re: How does your club do music?

Depends on the club. Some suggest to you to give them a Spotify playlist, and they will use that. Some have been small enough clubs that you select from either a playlist or a jukebox. Most likely that will be if you’re in a small-town club or Portland.

Most have been a DJ asking what I want. Only at one club ever did I never interact with the DJ, and therefore didn’t get any input in music choice, and yet it was required to tip the DJ 10% (it was an awful club).

I’d say it’s something like 1 in 3 times, a DJ will play something WAY different than what I said. And then I’m left wondering why even ask my opinion in the first place, lol. But then again, I’m not a stage girl so it’s not really something I’ve cared much about. Nor did I ever follow up with the DJ with asking about music when that happened.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,248 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed

The ones I worked at, we generally chose our music, though the DJs sometimes asked me for alternatives to what I’d chosen, since I liked to high intensity sets with lots of poke work and fast paced, heavy music. I understand it from their perspective… they’re looking at the crowd as a whole, whereas I’d be targeting those who went for those kind of sets. I’ve heard of clubs where you don’t get a say in the music selection or it’s really limited, but I’ve only worked in two and haven’t encountered it.
    The sound of the ocean is dead
    Itís just the echoes of the blood in your head

Thanks
    Thanked 19,143 Times in 6,228 Posts

I honestly found that i was more focused on connecting with customers and less focused on stuff that didn't matter (like the music) when i had djs play to the crowd rather than to my preferences. Your music choices can really turn customers off sometimes. And if i was dancing to something i really personally enjoyed, I'd often be more into myself than my customers, lol! I think it can be beneficial to learn to dance to any music. I'd tip djs decently to choose music for me so i didn't have to deal with that nonsense.

I'd say the exception would be if your music tastes tend to line up with what your customers like, in which case it can be beneficial to pick your own stuff - it can make for good conversation. I personally can't stand old white man rock music, but I'd dance to it all of the time, and customers loved it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to charlie61 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by charlie61 View Post
    I personally can't stand old white man rock music, but I'd dance to it all of the time, and customers loved it.
    I'm in the same boat! I know that's what the clientele will probably enjoy, but it might be hard to get into a sexy dancing mood if the music is so unsexy. I'm sure money as a motivator will help though lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hyperprincess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,143 Times in 6,228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hyperprincess View Post
    I'm in the same boat! I know that's what the clientele will probably enjoy, but it might be hard to get into a sexy dancing mood if the music is so unsexy. I'm sure money as a motivator will help though lol
    Yes, omg, i literally can't with the old white man rock. Listening to them talk about how it's the only Real Music there is, etc. Literally has no beat and is so unsexy to me. But whatever, i can tune it out and just sort of dance around acting like it's the greatest.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to charlie61 For This Useful Post: