Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what's your ways to save more?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Daring

Default Re: what's your ways to save more?

Quote Originally Posted by Angela888 View Post
    hi Luci I replied to your PM hope u got it ok x
    Yes, thank you!

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxxGothBarbie View Post
    For me personally I flat out refuse to buy or have payments on a new car. I got lucky with mine I have had for the last 15 years that my mom bought me. Its paid off and Ive put a good chunk of money into it over the years due to me driving across the country so much but it's worth it.
    I also dont buy stuff anymore like I use to bc I'm more of a minimalist now which saves me $$$. If I do buy makeup or whatever I always try to get it on sale if possible. I also refuse to own a home. Who needs the hassle & the unwanted stress of having roots in one place forever?.
    I am always so jealous of people who don’t own property rent it out etc it’s a lot of stress, like my sister and her husband live on a boat and never bought any property and it’s so lovely and they are so happy but I will say I’ve made more money on property literally in a few months than ever working . Yes I have to work but I have a massive comfy pillow I guess... BUT it’s all personal what’s good for me may not be food for others and owning property is a friggin headache lol xx

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luci Fer View Post
    I'm always in a struggle between wanting to have a home and the advantages and temptations of not having it. It fucks up my goals a bit
    I’m the ultimate free spirit but somehow I own lots of property I rent out, it’s a head ache but because of the fact I came from Fuck all I was like mmmm how can I make more and eventually just work when I fancy ? Property bought at right price can do this for you but it comes with stress. Renting is amazing and if that’s what u like keep doing it , I kind of just did it all years ago without thinking about it now I am glad but property fluctuates, you can be a millionaire one day next day zero ....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Angela888 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Daring

I’m the ultimate free spirit but somehow I own lots of property I rent out, it’s a head ache but because of the fact I came from Fuck all I was like mmmm how can I make more and eventually just work when I fancy ? Property bought at right price can do this for you but it comes with stress. Renting is amazing and if that’s what u like keep doing it , I kind of just did it all years ago without thinking about it now I am glad but property fluctuates, you can be a millionaire one day next day zero ....
    Renting is amazing, indeed, but sometimes I'm like: 'damn, it'd be nice if I could leave all my things in one place and travel'' ,or "oh I KNOW how I want my place to look like'' lol.
    When I rent, I always feel that it's temporary. Sometimes it's not a good feeling.
    I 've always thought that property was the best investment though, didnot know it fluctuates so much you can go from millionaire to zero.
    Also in the post above you mentioned buying old houses/dumps. The idea sounds really attractive to me, coz you can kind of create a place from the very start, but I have zero experience in it, it just sounds exciting. Now I know it's also profitable, so worth to try

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Renting is amazing, indeed, but sometimes I'm like: 'damn, it'd be nice if I could leave all my things in one place and travel'' ,or "oh I KNOW how I want my place to look like'' lol.
    When I rent, I always feel that it's temporary. Sometimes it's not a good feeling.
    I 've always thought that property was the best investment though, didnot know it fluctuates so much you can go from millionaire to zero.
    Also in the post above you mentioned buying old houses/dumps. The idea sounds really attractive to me, coz you can kind of create a place from the very start, but I have zero experience in it, it just sounds exciting. Now I know it's also profitable, so worth to try
    It’s deffo amazing to buy cheap, buy a big space no one else will and Invest the money yes!! I did this many times but it’s fucking headache! But the house I live In for example I put an offer in when first on market they said no , I walked away too much for what I need to spend doing it up!! Then I saw they put price right down so I swooped in, yes got it cheap but I spent like 30k doing it up! So it’s if you are the kind of person who can work that hard to achieve your goals or not, cos it’s hard, trust me I cried sometimes cos I worked that hard, but it does pay off however I still think there’s a lot to be said for just enjoying life and not stressing over owing like my sister and her husband . But it depends on lots . Like though I’m pleased I worked so hard and achieved so much also I lost a lot, like I wasn’t going out with my friends etc so it’s a personal choice .... being good with money is about investing and working to achieve your goal with property anyway I can’t talk for stocks x

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angela888 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 1,805 Posts
    My Mood
    Mellow

I'm always in a struggle between wanting to have a home and the advantages and temptations of not having it. It fucks up my goals a bit
    I rely on hotels , airbnbs or friends for a place to stay in whatever area Im in. I love it. The only time I hate it is if its a bf or a person with an unkept home (dirty & gross). I've mostly been in hotels during the pandemic. I feel like i pay the same as i would renting a house or apt. Im cheap haha I'd rather be cheap than broke though! Means I work when I want to.
    "Alot of people are afraid to say what they want, that's why they don't get what they want"~ Madonna

"Respect is a dying art"

"Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"

Thanks
    My Mood
    Daring

Quote Originally Posted by xxxGothBarbie View Post
    I rely on hotels , airbnbs or friends for a place to stay in whatever area Im in. I love it. The only time I hate it is if its a bf or a person with an unkept home (dirty & gross). I've mostly been in hotels during the pandemic. I feel like i pay the same as i would renting a house or apt. Im cheap haha I'd rather be cheap than broke though! Means I work when I want to.
    I see what you mean here, it also feels so good when you change your interior from time to time. Such things always inspire me, and I was doing it every year or so. Long term renting in same location just sucks honestly. And nah you r not cheap, you re true nomad. I love it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Luci Fer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Daring

It’s deffo amazing to buy cheap, buy a big space no one else will and Invest the money yes!! I did this many times but it’s fucking headache! But the house I live In for example I put an offer in when first on market they said no , I walked away too much for what I need to spend doing it up!! Then I saw they put price right down so I swooped in, yes got it cheap but I spent like 30k doing it up! So it’s if you are the kind of person who can work that hard to achieve your goals or not, cos it’s hard, trust me I cried sometimes cos I worked that hard, but it does pay off however I still think there’s a lot to be said for just enjoying life and not stressing over owing like my sister and her husband . But it depends on lots . Like though I’m pleased I worked so hard and achieved so much also I lost a lot, like I wasn’t going out with my friends etc so it’s a personal choice .... being good with money is about investing and working to achieve your goal with property anyway I can’t talk for stocks x
    So cool your sister lives on a boat! I 've read about a British couple who sold their properties and bought a yacht and sail for 10 years, even made kids during it lol
    And I trust you, one of my friends (a girl) bought an old apartment and made it up too, she also said she was crying and even lost weight while doing it.
    For me it's like some kind of initiation rite lol (well, modern kind of initiation)
    I 'd respect myself insanely if I managed to do it haha

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Luci Fer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,059 Times in 2,469 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

When I tried to start my business the first time many years ago, the biggest single money saver for me was learning how to cook and to shop smart. For many people, food is the second biggest monthly expense behind housing, especially if there is more than one person in the home.

Once I had basic roasting, braising, stewing, grilling and frying skills, I could turn almost any sale meat into a good meal. That brought a lot of freedom to buy sale meats in bulk and freeze them in smaller portions. It got even better when I started learning how to make basic sauces (red and cream sauces) and stocks (especially chicken and ham stock from the bones) because then I could also cook in bulk and freeze the leftovers in single serve containers.

Now, with the cost of food jacking up fast, these skills are more valuable than ever. It used to be that pork and chicken were safe haven cheap meat options, but the price of pork has doubled over the past 4 years (due to increased demand for U.S. pork from China) and now even chicken is expected to get more expensive because of an apparent shortage.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,459 Times in 1,639 Posts
    My Mood
    Devilish

Slowing down on delivery food (gotta feel spoiled every now and then), taking a frozen dinner to-go with me, pay as you go monthly cheap phone, lyft pink app monthly program, when prices get too expensive in meat for the dogs I go to the hispanic supermarket & buy in bulk because they never budge on prices, and I'm considering instacarts yearly delivery program which waives the delivery fee. I guess I mostly save on food nowadays? Biggest regret was buying A LOT of unnecessary items on Amazon in my early 20's. You feel more accomplished when you save versus spending but at the same time you have to spoil yourself every now and then with small things because you're not taking your money to the grave haha .

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,059 Times in 2,469 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
    Slowing down on delivery food (gotta feel spoiled every now and then), taking a frozen dinner to-go with me, pay as you go monthly cheap phone, lyft pink app monthly program, when prices get too expensive in meat for the dogs I go to the hispanic supermarket & buy in bulk because they never budge on prices, and I'm considering instacarts yearly delivery program which waives the delivery fee. I guess I mostly save on food nowadays? Biggest regret was buying A LOT of unnecessary items on Amazon in my early 20's. You feel more accomplished when you save versus spending but at the same time you have to spoil yourself every now and then with small things because you're not taking your money to the grave haha .
    I get that indie. Once upon a time that was more or less my version of saving on food too, minus the meat for the dog. And like you, my version of feeling spoiled was to eat take-out or pub food. But nowadays the food coming out of my own kitchen is better than anything I can get from almost any restaurant in town, except maybe a handful of the high end joints with specialty cooking equipment.

We have a board in our house with our 30 favorite meals, which we rotate around. They include things like beef stew, pot roast, chicken and gravy, chili, chicken parm, breaded pork chops, baked mac n cheese, steak and grilled veggies, lasagna, au gratin potatoes (a side dish to any number of meals) and a bunch of other stuff. All homemade using few if any canned or jarred ingredients and that includes our gravies and sauces.

It's hard not to feel spoiled when I'm eating like this pretty much everyday.

The best part is that we can eat like this AND save a ton of money. When we buy food prepared by other people, most of the cost of that food is labor, expertise and service markup, not the cost of the raw food itself. Shoot if my family of 5 qualified for even just the average (not the max) SNAP benefit of $560 for a family of our size, we could eat these sumptuous meals the whole time without having to kick in another nickel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12