Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid news

Thanks
    Thanked 4,364 Times in 1,945 Posts
    My Mood
    Busy

Default Re: Covid news

Quote Originally Posted by trustfundkiller View Post
    It's particularly annoying when people say, "Why bother getting vaccinated if you can still get Covid?" Why bother wearing a seatbelt if you can still die in a car accident while wearing one? No, your safety isn't 100% guaranteed but it significantly helps your chances.

Yes exactly! I got mine knowing dam well I might get it but if I do then I'm hopefully not gonna die from it. I did all I could do at this point. I'm glad these assholes are getting forced to be vaxxed. GOOD! Makes me happy haha
    "Alot of people are afraid to say what they want, that's why they don't get what they want"~ Madonna

"Respect is a dying art"

"Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxxGothBarbie For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,982 Times in 4,039 Posts

If you want to see if your area has a high transmission rate and which areas are worst, you can look here:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view

Here's the current map:

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Feeling this!I wish everyone would just get vaccinated already.If they are able to without causing harm to themselves because of a health issue or whatever,I just donít understand why people wonít just get the damn vaccine already.I think it is selfish not to!I feel like everything is just going to go back to lockdowns and more sickness and death will happen.It makes me sad that the world is the way it is.And mad!Things could be getting better,but assholes love to make it worse.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LionMaiden For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,740 Times in 1,830 Posts

^^^^^. It's their programming https://apple.news/A2iBBdk_OTp-d4mGb...6tsry4-JPh35Zg

Why I'm proud to be neurodivergent. People make fun of me cause I'm not normal; I'm happy I'm not normal! The crazy shit people do to fit in! People are afraid if they get the vaccine they'll be kicked kicked out of their social group.

The map SURE IS RED eagal!!!!!!

I'm not worried, but it's kimda scary that delta is getting people fully vaccinated people too! Even though it's a lot lower! We'll probably be fine, but there's so much about this virus we don't know yet as far as long term effects.
    Last edited by moneybags; 08-02-2021 at 08:11 PM.
    Focus more on what you want than on what you donít want

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moneybags View Post
    The map SURE IS RED eagal!!!!!!
    It is. What's really sad is almost all of the hospitalizations and deaths could have been avoided, if people would just take a few minutes to get the vaccine.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 349 Posts

I just have a feeling we're going to be living with this for a long time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveyD For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

^^^most likely! Albeit if we get the total number down and get people vaccinated we can have a semi normal life.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

More and more bars and restaurants are starting to require proof of vaccination.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne...f-vaccination/

16. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy

I'm hoping the night clubs I've been going to will start requiring them as well. Let the selfish assholes be the ones having to be forced to isolate not the vaxxed .
    "Alot of people are afraid to say what they want, that's why they don't get what they want"~ Madonna

"Respect is a dying art"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 647 Posts

It is looking like sooner or later just about everyone will be exposed if not actually infected by Covid. It's just the way the trend seems to be going. Depending on who you talk to , as few as 10% of those exposed to the Delta variant actually get infected. Still not my idea of favorable odds.
    The question is: Do you want to be infected with the vaccine or without ? With the vaccine you will probably have no symptoms and if you do the odds are overwhelming that they will be relatively short and mild. Without the vaccine you might end up with no symptoms but if you do get sick there is chance you will have to be hospitalized and you might even die.

Which plane do you prefer to fly on ? : The one with a 1 % chance of some sort of mishap up to crashing or the one with a LESS than a million to 1 chance of you dying in a crash assuming you are not elderly, obese or immune compromised ?

The prime risk factor for a bad outcome from Covid is obesity according to Johns Hopkins and the NIH. The U.S. is about 2/3 overweight and at least 1/3 obese. It is the prime reason for our relatively high death rate from Covid as compared to countries with low obesity like Vietnam. If we take out the elderly and the obese from the death figures for Covid they drop by as much as 80%. Last year , 70% of deaths were among nursing home residents. In addition to being old they often had serious illnesses. Today, 80% of deaths are over 65. 78% are obese.

NYC's current death rate from Covid is 5 per week. A far cry from the hundreds per week that were dying last year.
    The difference is obviously vaccines and better treatment.

The REAL questions that imho need to be answered are twofold : 1. Should people who have had Covid get vaccinated ? Rand Paul and some talking heads say : "No". I say : "Why not ? " and 2. Should we reopen schools in September and require students to wear masks. Randi Weingarten ( Head of the AFT ) says : "Maybe" and "Yes". I say : Yes we should reopen the schools and vaccinate everyone over 12 or test them weekly. Study after study after study shows that children have miniscule risks from Covid. The rub is that they can carry the virus and infect others. So rather than argue about compelling parents to vaccinate their children why not vaccinate all those likely to come in contact with children ? And start with teachers. Weingarten never says WHY teachers should not be vaccinated.

Btw, all figures cited come from the NIH, CDC and Johns Hopkins.
    Last edited by Eric Stoner; 08-03-2021 at 09:37 AM.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

God/dess
    Thanks

So is anyone working at the club still?

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    The prime risk factor for a bad outcome from Covid is obesity according to Johns Hopkins and the NIH. The U.S. is about 2/3 overweight and at least 1/3 obese. It is the prime reason for our relatively high death rate from Covid as compared to countries with low obesity like Vietnam. If we take out the elderly and the obese from the death figures for Covid they drop by as much as 80%. Last year , 70% of deaths were among nursing home residents. In addition to being old they often had serious illnesses. Today, 80% of deaths are over 65. 78% are obese.
    I think a much bigger factor is, in Vietnam and many other Asian countries, mask wearing is very common.

Australia and New Zealand have obesity rates of approximately 30%, compared to approximately 40% for the US, but their death rate was far, far lower than 3/4 of America's.

The biggest factors are what measurements have been taken to prevent the spread of the disease. Before, it was wearing masks, social distancing, and washing hands. Now, it's getting vaccinated.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,773 Times in 1,454 Posts

Sad to see this going the way of democrat vs. republican on here, and everywhere else, for so many reasons.

This is a once in a century event. Please put aside politics for a moment, if you still can.

Look at the map for "reported cases per 100,000" and you'll see that the densest reporting is probably Louisiana, and the most dense region is Millard Country, Utah. There are no political factors here, just social factors.

Further, a few months ago everything was different. Making political conclusions month by month in a pandemic is like calling the people on one side of the Titanic stupid for staying on the left side or right side.

The vaccine scares people. The virus scares people. The media has been wrong. The politicians have been wrong. No one has been "correct" throughout all of this; not Fauci, not Trump, no one. "My guy" has been repeatedly wrong, and "Your guy" has been repeatedly wrong.

Please find your humanity, and let's stop playing the blame game like a medieval village. I hope you survive and thrive, and I hope that you hope I survive and thrive. It seems that for now, here in the US, we need to help people understand, with compassion, that the vaccine has a good chance of producing a better outcome. Outside the US, in many places, with compassion, we need to make the vaccines available.
    Where Am I? Missing NYC

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bahuba For This Useful Post:

Featured Member trustfundkiller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,142 Times in 1,064 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

Sooo now there's a Delta plus variant which is even more contagious than the previous Delta variant.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by moneybags View Post
    So is anyone working at the club still?
    My plan was to return to the club in Sept in spite of the Delta variant. Now we'll have to see about this Delta plus variant...

27. The Following User Says Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy

Quote Originally Posted by trustfundkiller View Post
    Sooo now there's a Delta plus variant which is even more contagious than the previous Delta variant.
    Wuuuut???? Where's that crap spreading?

"Respect is a dying art"

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bahuba View Post
    Sad to see this going the way of democrat vs. republican on here, and everywhere else, for so many reasons.

This is a once in a century event. Please put aside politics for a moment, if you still can.

Look at the map for "reported cases per 100,000" and you'll see that the densest reporting is probably Louisiana, and the most dense region is Millard Country, Utah. There are no political factors here, just social factors.

Further, a few months ago everything was different. Making political conclusions month by month in a pandemic is like calling the people on one side of the Titanic stupid for staying on the left side or right side.

The vaccine scares people. The virus scares people. The media has been wrong. The politicians have been wrong. No one has been "correct" throughout all of this; not Fauci, not Trump, no one. "My guy" has been repeatedly wrong, and "Your guy" has been repeatedly wrong.

Please find your humanity, and let's stop playing the blame game like a medieval village. I hope you survive and thrive, and I hope that you hope I survive and thrive. It seems that for now, here in the US, we need to help people understand, with compassion, that the vaccine has a good chance of producing a better outcome. Outside the US, in many places, with compassion, we need to make the vaccines available.
    But it's not Democrats vs. Republicans. It's people who want to do what is necessary to protect themselves and others from this deadly virus vs. people who don't. We know how the virus spreads and we know what prevents it from spreading. The problem is, many people aren't willing to do what is necessary, whether it's refusing to wear a mask for 20 - 30 minutes in a grocery store, or refusing to get a safe and effective vaccine. These people aren't just endangering themselves when they do this. They're also endangering others, including people in this forum and our loved ones. The dancers in this forum are among the people who are most at risk for catching the virus, because they're working in a crowded indoor place, with many different people coming in and out, with no social distancing. Some of the dancers here are afraid to go back to work because of this. In some of the places where they're having outbreaks, hospitals are being filled to capacity. This isn't so much about blaming people as it is about wanting people to act responsibly. I just want to see an end to this.

Of course I hope that you survive and thrive also. I don't want to see anyone dying from this. I just want it to end, and there is a possibility of ending this, if only everyone would act responsibly. I agree we should be doing all we can to make the vaccines available to everyone in the world.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Here’s a really good article to explain the nuances of being fully vaccinated.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...ptoms.amp.html

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There is no "magic bullet" for Covid. It is here and will likely stay with us for quite some time. Eagle and I have quibbled here and there on the issues but we both want to see responsible behavior to limit the spread of what can be a deadly disease.

The jury is out as to the overall effectiveness of mask wearing. There is no definitive study that shows that it works. It does not mean that it doesn't help; it probably does. Vaccines on the other hand have been proven to be protective. If people don't feel altruistic enough to get vaccinated to protect others then they ought to at least consider getting it to protect themselves.

It should not be a political issue but unfortunately politicians all over the spectrum have made it one. More's the pity.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    I think a much bigger factor is, in Vietnam and many other Asian countries, mask wearing is very common.

Australia and New Zealand have obesity rates of approximately 30%, compared to approximately 40% for the US, but their death rate was far, far lower than 3/4 of America's.

The biggest factors are what measurements have been taken to prevent the spread of the disease. Before, it was wearing masks, social distancing, and washing hands. Now, it's getting vaccinated.
    You seem to be ignoring that both Australia and New Zealand had some of the most draconian lockdowns and a laundry list of restrictions of personal freedom in the world. Not just for indoor but for outdoor activity.
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks

The drummer for the band Offspring has been kicked out for refusing to get vaccinated.
    Jennifer Aniston has distanced herself from friends and acquaintances who will not reveal their vaccine status. Has anyone else done likewise ?
    Anyone been threatened with loss of their job if they do not get vaccinated ?

I have a number of employees and I have re-imposed mask wearing in the office and those few who have not been vaccinated must show me a weekly Covid test result. A lot of employers , both public and private are doing likewise.
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by xxxGothBarbie View Post
    Wuuuut???? Where's that crap spreading?
    There have been two confirmed cases in South Korea, but if it's there, it's everywhere. Air travel basically guarantees that any variant will spread all over the place, especially if you live in a large city and your airport is a hub for international travel.
    Last edited by trustfundkiller; 08-04-2021 at 09:50 AM.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

You seem to be ignoring that both Australia and New Zealand had some of the most draconian lockdowns and a laundry list of restrictions of personal freedom in the world. Not just for indoor but for outdoor activity.
    If I had to choose between that and 600,000 Americans dying, I would go with the restrictions. Also, Australia and NZ were able to safely reopen long before we were.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

There is no "magic bullet" for Covid. It is here and will likely stay with us for quite some time. Eagle and I have quibbled here and there on the issues but we both want to see responsible behavior to limit the spread of what can be a deadly disease.

It should not be a political issue but unfortunately politicians all over the spectrum have made it one. More's the pity.
    COVID is here to stay. Getting vaccinated is the best way to protect yourself and others. I kinda decided at this point I’m vaccinated and just to live my life. I can’t live in fear of the virus-life isn’t worth living that way. Although I do what I can to protect others and myself as much as possible. I mask up in public spaces-it’s not that much to ask for me.
    Last edited by moneybags; 08-04-2021 at 11:37 AM.

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    If I had to choose between that and 600,000 Americans dying, I would go with the restrictions. Also, Australia and NZ were able to safely reopen long before we were.
    I'm sorry but Australia has reimposed the lockdown. Over just a relatively few cases. In fairness, only 11%
    of the country is fully vaccinated. They have had a total of about 32,000 cases and only 915 deaths.
    They are also able to control their borders. They do not have hundreds of thousands of people coming over their border , many of whom are carrying Covid; many are actively and obviously sick with Covid but who do not get detained or quarantined. What do you recommend we do ?
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast