Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid news

Thanks
    Thanked 5,293 Times in 2,711 Posts

Default Covid news

We'll try this again. We are in a super high risk industry so it's important.

Any digressions about 45 vs 46 will be deleted.

I don't really follow this stuff as much. I was very lucky and almost certainly had it (asymptomatic) early on.

But the Delta variant seems dangerous.
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Djoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 28,395 Times in 10,404 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Default Re: Covid news

^yeah from what I understand

The delta variant is more contagious and the onset of symptoms happen quicker

the current vaccines protect up to 90% against regular strain and variants leaving a 10% opening to vulnerabilities which is better than nothing. This especially for high risk people and/or people traveling to areas with high transmission rates

Don’t get too comfortable even with the vaccine. Stay away from (or take extreme precautions around) people coughing, people visibly sick, and keep hand sanitizer/wash hands frequently

It’s now being recommended to wear masks indoors especially in places where the transmission rate is high. I personally will keep wearing my mask Indoors especially if it’s crowded and/or maskless people coughing.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,690 Times in 1,819 Posts

I do understand the risk, but I have bills to pay. I didnít make enough camming, so Iíll continue to work in the club. Iím fully vaccinated. Hopefully they are coming up with a new jab. My friend has had long covid for over 7 months, so Iím aware of how bad it is. I canít afford to quit dancing. I respect people who want to mask up, but Iím fully vaccinated and I just over the restrictions.
    Focus more on what you want than on what you donít want

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 328 Posts

I am still masking and distancing while indoors even if I'm fully vaccinated. I checked my city's numbers today. 3-4 days ago, we had no new cases. Then we had 146 new cases 2 days ago. Yesterday 444 new cases were reported. So a jump in cases, most likely due to July 4th festivities. So I am still ordering groceries and avoiding crowds, keeping my mask with me. Yes I know I am fully vaxxed but I still don't want covid since we don't know how this disease can affect us years down the line.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LoveyD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,858 Times in 6,411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moneybags View Post
    I do understand the risk, but I have bills to pay. I didn’t make enough camming, so I’ll continue to work in the club. I’m fully vaccinated. Hopefully they are coming up with a new jab. My friend has had long covid for over 7 months, so I’m aware of how bad it is. I can’t afford to quit dancing. I respect people who want to mask up, but I’m fully vaccinated and I just over the restrictions.

THIS! So over it. I'm fully vaccinated and have been wearing these masks (where they are still required) as instructed. But I'm also not spending this second half of 2021 living in fear, freaking out every time the media makes an announcement about "the latest thing that everyone should be afraid of today." I know the news can be informative, but having the news on all day like that (Too much doom and gloom) repeating the same thing over and over can be depressing. Just tell us what we need to do to stay safe...WITHOUT having to become hermits again. But please don't do a whole bunch of shutdowns all over again...

People be so quick to say "Shut everything down!" Lol. Huh? Yeah, let's cause more people to lose their jobs, and then have to wait MONTHS for unemployment to start kicking in. Yeah, let's have more businesses be forced to close their doors for good. And then when people have to work from home (and/or help their kids do school from home) and need that high-speed internet more than ever...they've gotta deal with Comcast jacking up their prices.

I can't tell you how happy I was when the buses started running again (After the 2020 shutdown), because having to pay Lyft and Uber prices wasn't cheap. Many of us rely on those buses.
    39 and feelin' fine!

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

I highly doubt there will be a shut down again unless drastic numbers start happening all over. The government ain’t giving out more “free” money for people to stay at home.

And I doubt they will back pedal on the masks unless sentence #1 happens

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 328 Posts

^^yeah, I don't see a shutdown happening again unless the numbers consistently become too high.

I get that people are over it. But there is no quick fix to this situation. We'll probably be dealing with this for another year.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoveyD For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,964 Times in 4,032 Posts

New study shows COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness against Delta variant

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...delta-variant/

The caveat is, at least for Pfizer, you must get both doses. One dose isn't much better than no doses.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,418 Times in 817 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    New study shows COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness against Delta variant

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...delta-variant/

The caveat is, at least for Pfizer, you must get both doses. One dose isn't much better than no doses.

really good news for those vaccinated, however if you read the last line this is only really for the Pfizer(maybe the astra) but it should be relatively the same anyway. They are also the ones coming out with the booster to target the delta variant.

I really want there to be more restrictions for those not vaccinated. Maybe a clear indication that international travel will be for the vaccinated, could make some of them take the plunge. Like that is allowed, countries make people have vaccinations all the time.

I still wear my mask into stores, not for small shops were it is only a couple of people.
    Last edited by kamiliam; 07-08-2021 at 10:12 PM.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kamiliam For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrownFox View Post
    THIS! So over it. I'm fully vaccinated and have been wearing these masks (where they are still required) as instructed. But I'm also not spending this second half of 2021 living in fear, freaking out every time the media makes an announcement about "the latest thing that everyone should be afraid of today." I know the news can be informative, but having the news on all day like that (Too much doom and gloom) repeating the same thing over and over can be depressing. Just tell us what we need to do to stay safe...WITHOUT having to become hermits again. But please don't do a whole bunch of shutdowns all over again...
    I quit watching the news. Until the CDC says otherwise I won’t stress. Im not saying the agency is the most trustworthy, but for the most part I trust their advice. Im glad they lift the masks, but they’ll never get them back on us again…LOL. That’s like trying to give a cat a bath. If the CDC says fully vaccinated people need to mask and social distance, I will. Until then Hukuna Matata

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,346 Times in 1,936 Posts
    My Mood
    Busy

I agree with everyone here. I'm fully vaxxed & for the last 2 weeks in a row I've gone out dancing in a night club sometimes 2 nights back to back maskless in a place that has low numbers for now. Otherwise, my mask is on & taking precautions. I want normalcy just as bad as everyone else ugh . I hate these breaking news about this variant etc. We got vaccinated so why keep worrying? IMO there's misinformation in regards to being fully vaxxed & having effects from the virus (delta) specifically. Some say it can cause sickness others say no.
    "Alot of people are afraid to say what they want, that's why they don't get what they want"~ Madonna

"Respect is a dying art"

"Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxxGothBarbie For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks

I trust and follow the science, but the problem with medical science is it takes so long to get results. This article in Wired describes the medical mistake of transmission of different particle sizes. It wasn't until July 2020 that WHO, CDC, Dr. Fauchi, etc. recognized the smaller particles travelled more than six feet. By then it was too late to contain it. They thought exhaled particles fell to the ground like larger 100 micron sized particles. Turns out the smaller 5 micron particles travelled much farther than six feet, hundreds of feet farther.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-teen...ed-covid-kill/

It will be awhile (6 months?) before we really know if the current vaccines prevent the Delta variant. The CDC guideline that the unvaccinated wear masks simply will not be followed by those that don't believe, and think only sheep wears masks, or don't get vaccinated for other reasons. They are taking risks with their health, they certainly don't care about mine. Wondering how long before I break out the N95 masks...
    Originally Posted by
    I don't know what it is about me that says "wife me up." Everyone wants to choke me or date me. Or both. This job is weird.

Originally Posted by Nocturnelle
    ... Kittens are assholes but they're just so darn cute.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CFMNH44 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Anti-vaxx nurse dies from COVID-19 in Louisiana

https://www.rawstory.com/olivia-guidry/

A Louisiana nurse who questioned the safety of vaccines has died of complications from COVID-19.

Olivia Guidry, a registered nurse in the emergency department at Ochsner Lafayette General, died Saturday after being hospitalized for the coronavirus in the intensive care unit, reported The Advocate.

"Today is a sad day for my ER family and I," her colleague Nick Berthelot posted on Facebook. "Your contagious laugh and smile will truly be missed Liv. Until we meet again sweet girl."

Coronavirus deaths have decreased dramatically in Louisiana since last year, but the state has seen a recent increase that experts blame on its low vaccination rate of 36 percent, compared with about 50 percent nationally, and Guidry questioned their safety on her own social media account.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Olivia was 23 years old.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,577 Times in 4,634 Posts

I'm still wearing my mask in public places and actually may continue from now on. I went through the whole cold and flu season with no illnesses and love the fact I didn't have to miss out on money that whole time. Sometimes a bad cold knocks me on my ass for a whole week.

Plus, I've noticed when I have on a mask, most men don't bother and annoy me like they do when they can see my face. It's refreshing and I can get my shopping done without anyone interrupting me to ask stupid questions like hey, are you single and where are you from and crap. If I wanted to look for a date I'd look them in the eye and say hello. So many can't take the hint that I'm not giving them any eye contact or any encouragement and am in a hurry and want to be left alone. My mask is like an amazing shield that keeps the annoyances away, lol.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to laurielegs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

^same.

If it ain’t coronavirus it’s colds, flu, or some other contagion and we all know that nasty mfs act like the don’t know how to social distance, cover their mouth while coughing n sneezing, n never wash their filthy hands. Then b the main ones all in your personal space, unvaccinated plus maskless, n touching all the surfaces. Ugh!!!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 642 Posts

I searched to see if there was definitive study that showed that mask usage prevented Covid. I couldn't find one. There may be one floating out there but I couldn't find it. There are some statistical analyses that form a basis for requiring mask usage or at least recommending they be worn. There are also some comparative studies ( which I have cited before ) that rate various types of masks for droplet prevention. The N-95 is good. Hospital/surgical masks are better than nothing and gaiters and bandanas are useless.

The latest advice from The Mayo Clinic , The CDC and Johns Hopkins is interesting. The Mayo Clinic says that face masks COMBINED with other preventative measures such as getting vaccinated , frequent hand washing and physical distancing prevent the spread of Covid. The CDC and Johns Hopkins both say that mask wearing protects others much more than those wearing the masks. All three strongly recommend wearing a mask in any health care facility like a doctor's office , clinic or hospital. Again it is more for the protection of other patients than for the wearer of the mask.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks

More than one third of Nursing Home Workers in NYC have NOT been vaccinated ! How can this be ?
    Aren't nursing home residents the most vulnerable segment of the population ?
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    I searched to see if there was definitive study that showed that mask usage prevented Covid. I couldn't find one. There may be one floating out there but I couldn't find it. There are some statistical analyses that form a basis for requiring mask usage or at least recommending they be worn. There are also some comparative studies ( which I have cited before ) that rate various types of masks for droplet prevention. The N-95 is good. Hospital/surgical masks are better than nothing and gaiters and bandanas are useless.

The latest advice from The Mayo Clinic , The CDC and Johns Hopkins is interesting. The Mayo Clinic says that face masks COMBINED with other preventative measures such as getting vaccinated , frequent hand washing and physical distancing prevent the spread of Covid. The CDC and Johns Hopkins both say that mask wearing protects others much more than those wearing the masks. All three strongly recommend wearing a mask in any health care facility like a doctor's office , clinic or hospital. Again it is more for the protection of other patients than for the wearer of the mask.
    The evidence is overwhelming that they do. Asian countries where mask wearing is common saw far fewer cases and deaths from covid than countries where most people don't. In the US, counties that enacted mask mandates saw their number of cases and deaths go down, while counties that didn't, saw their number of cases and deaths go up.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

More than one third of Nursing Home Workers in NYC have NOT been vaccinated ! How can this be ?
    Aren't nursing home residents the most vulnerable segment of the population ?
    Why are you asking this here?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Why are you asking this here?
    Shouldn't those who work with the most vulnerable be vaccinated ? What exactly are you questioning about my post ?
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks

The evidence is overwhelming that they do. Asian countries where mask wearing is common saw far fewer cases and deaths from covid than countries where most people don't. In the US, counties that enacted mask mandates saw their number of cases and deaths go down, while counties that didn't, saw their number of cases and deaths go up.
    There were also places in the U.S. that did not mandate masks in places like schools and instead focused on protecting the elderly and other vulnerable groups who had decent Covid numbers. Even mask proponents agree that they do little to protect the wearer. They do afford some protection for others coming into proximity to mask wearers.

I'm fully vaxxed and I still wear a mask in certain places like the supermarket. Doctor's offices still require them.
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

God/dess
    Thanks

Shouldn't those who work with the most vulnerable be vaccinated ? What exactly are you questioning about my post ?
    They should be, but there is nobody here who can do anything about it. If it's a concern for you, it would be better to ask the Mayor of New York City.

Featured Member trustfundkiller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,063 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer but the Delta variant is freaking me out. I read on an article from Yale Medicine that Pfizer 88% effective against symptomatic disease and 96% effective against hospitalization from the Delta variant. Though I'm seeing different numbers every. In any case the numbers sound pretty good, but I think I'm going to mask up from now on. I was feeling comfortable going just about everywhere without the mask.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trustfundkiller View Post
    I'm fully vaccinated with Pfizer but the Delta variant is freaking me out. I read on an article from Yale Medicine that Pfizer 88% effective against symptomatic disease and 96% effective against hospitalization from the Delta variant. Though I'm seeing different numbers every. In any case the numbers sound pretty good, but I think I'm going to mask up from now on. I was feeling comfortable going just about everywhere without the mask.
    Yeah I agree 200 Vaccinated a day getting long covid. The cdc doesn’t know shit. They sacrificed the public health for the economy. I just wish they were more honest. Lift legal restrictions, but warn people the consequences of unmasking in public.

I’m not masking because it seems pointless working in a club unless it’s to protect others. I’m vaccinated. I’m doing everything I can, but I have to make a living.

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast