Thread: Simone Biles was RIGHT to withdraw

Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 642 Posts

Default Simone Biles was RIGHT to withdraw

I can't believe some of the garbage being spouted about Simone Biles and her decision to withdraw from the Team competition. She made it clear she did it to help her team and because she had other issues. Gymnastics is just ONE part of her life.

If some of the nitwits criticizing her actually watched gymnastics maybe it would dawn on them that what she does is dangerous and requires total focus and concentration. The uneven parallel bars , the balance beam , the vault are all dangerous. One of my exes was a sponsored competitive gymnast and she was badly injured in a fall. If Ms. Biles felt that her ability to focus and concentrate was affected then she made the right call imho.

Btw, she stayed and cheered on her teammates. She didn't just curl up in a ball and hide.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 28,395 Times in 10,404 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Default Re: Simone Biles was RIGHT to withdraw

I agree

She was off her game......and part of sports competition is not just your athletic abilities but also your mentality. I can't imagine the stress of having to carry an entire team to gold each and every year.

If she would have kept going n kept messing up it would have negatively affected her AND the team.

Also, it is a TEAM not a one-woman show. The other teammates needed (and got) their time to shine.

Plus I think she's one of the few athletes who was assaulted by that creepazoid predator coach n still competing today.

They did well. And Simone actually did pretty good despite the errors n thankfully she didn't injure herself.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,119 Times in 2,503 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

After she spent almost all of her life preparing for this moment, the notion that she casually quit is absurd. Anyone who thinks otherwise simply doesn't comprehend the enormity of the dedication it took just to get there in the first place.

Gymnastics is the most physically and mentally grueling competition sport in existence. At the highest levels they train constantly, several hours per day 6 days per week under constant scrutiny to scrub out the most minor imperfections since each one is a "deduction." But even in the lower levels she had to train intensely since she was a small child, spending a majority of her days in the gym, several hours each day, since she was at least 8 and probably younger.

It's like a cult existence. They eat, sleep and breathe gymnastics. They don't have any friends outside of the gym because they don't have the time, so they become bonded with their team mates. Each season is spent preparing for a series of USAG competitions to gain recognition and "score out" of their levels so they can move up. Then, as soon as season ending competitions are over, they start the cycle all over again moving on to the next set of skills they have to master. The pressure is intense and constant and lasts throughout their formative years.

Most girls who start competitive gymnastics never make it anywhere close to the top levels of the sport. Many quit because they hit skills that they simply cannot master, but many also quit because it's simply too grueling and consumes too much of their lives. Sometimes it's a combination - they could master the skills with enough time and effort, but become mentally exhausted. To make it to where Biles did, you have to have a superhuman level of dedication to the sport.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The pressure on her has been incredible. Like many Olympians she has been waiting for this for not 3 but 15 months since the Trials.

And yes, she is a sexual abuse survivor who was let down by the U.S. Gymnastics Association.

Stress affects everybody. For her , concentration and focus are key or she could get hurt. Badly.

It burns me that some of her worst critics are fat, out of shape men who probably could never do a squat thrust or a pull up. Not on their best day.

The time, dedication and self denial that athletes like Ms. Biles have to experience is only for a very , very few. Tom Brady is the GOAT because he practiced and worked out harder and longer than anyone else. Same thing for Simone Biles and her teammates.

Why do so many Gold medalists cry when they win ? It's usually a combination of joy and catharsis. They can finally let go and release after years of sucking it up ; of staying calm and carrying on .

Some of Simone's critics conveniently forget she has been the best in the world for the last 5 years ; won Gold medals in Rio and was abused by Dr. Nassar. She is NOT a "quitter" and is NOT being praised for "quitting ". Shame on the ignorant assholes who are saying and/or posting any such bilge.

Now it is coming out that she's been on the edge for quite a while. And that her experience is common among elite athletes.
    Last edited by Eric Stoner; 07-28-2021 at 11:24 AM.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,964 Times in 4,032 Posts

Saw this on the internet:

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Excellent post Eagle !
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,237 Times in 2,163 Posts
    My Mood
    Devilish

Personally if I were her I would've packed up my shit and gone home by now to avoid a tv camera zooming in on my face if I was unable to work and having people criticizing me for dropping. LOL.

It's stressful AF for the other teammates being placed in extra events with all the adrenaline and exhaustion it takes when their main focus was on certain other events. When it's not your main event and being plopped in one you know is not your best, it sucks.

Apparently Suni Lee won AA individual? Roar, I don't have a tv in my room so I'm learning through youtube and the online news LOL.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yep. She has her own tales of woe that she overcame to win the Gold !
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    Yep. She has her own tales of woe that she overcame to win the Gold !
    And apparently Simone has a few more things she qualified for or something? I'm not sure what's left in the Olympics for gymnastics? But she needs to just flat out head home IMO. She's in a mental block and when you hit that, it can be over.

I went through it with three stepping during 100m hurdles when I did track in the past. It's such a bitch. My track coach had to fool me in order to get it to happen and then when he told me I couldn't get through a 3 step again and was 4 stepping LOL.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Simone COULD enter the individual events. She qualified in all four : Floor , balance beam , vault and uneven parallel bars. She is being monitored and counselled but whether we see her compete further in Tokyo is totally up to her. I say she should do whatever is best for her. My guess is that she won't.
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks
    Thanked 19,858 Times in 6,411 Posts

That Piers Morgan clown with the double chin needs to go sit down somewhere.....

Also, the gymnastic moves Simone Biles does are dangerous enough that if she attempts them while she's not in the right headspace, she could seriously injure herself or DIE.
    These fairweather "fans" suddenly turning their back on her...screw them.

When our beloved Robin Williams (May he R.I.P.) died of suicide, people were devastated and and shocked...and said things like "I had no idea he was suffering like this while making so many people laugh!" Well we KNOW that Simone Biles is suffering, and she is still with us...being shit on for "quitting on her team." *Eye roll*

I'm sure that many of these people bashing her have loved ones suffering with mental illness, and instead of being there for them...they probably blurt out shit like "Oh, just suck it up and get over it! Everyone has bad days!" I really cannot stand people like this.....
    39 and feelin' fine!

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,715 Times in 6,339 Posts
    My Mood
    Goofy

This cracks me up:

I only trust peer-reviewed research, so I commissioned a detailed analysis of the athletic achievements of everyone who has been critical of Simone Biles.

Here are the preliminary results

@MichaelHarriot https://t.co/eAFp7LGOO9
    I'm perfect from head to toe. It ain't speculation, yo man said so! -Salt n Pepa

23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

How to determine if you're qualified to criticize Simone Biles:

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,491 Times in 3,668 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

I don't watch the Olympics, so idk the full story...

I did read she and some other girls got sexually assaulted by their coach. Maybe that has a lot to do with her mental health? People should be giving him shit instead.

Has anyone thought that has A LOT to do with it? Um, hmmm.
    Last edited by Vyanka; 08-01-2021 at 10:11 AM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vyanka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Vyanka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,858 Times in 6,411 Posts

Tucker Carlson's clown ass talking about she "betrayed her country and her fans." Fuck off...and fuck those fairweather "fans." Ugh, he's so gross.
    39 and feelin' fine!

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,106 Times in 5,888 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrownFox View Post
    Tucker Carlson's clown ass talking about she "betrayed her country and her fans." Fuck off...and fuck those fairweather "fans." Ugh, he's so gross.

Tucker Carlson makes my skin crawl.

Simone is so awesome and I am excited to see what she does after her athletic career is over. She's an exceptional young lady.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

He's a disgusting, vile racist and sociopath.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrownFox View Post
    He makes me so angry! Lol. Can't stand his constipated looking face.

I bet you him and his fans won't say a word about her vile pos former coach.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vyanka For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

It was the team doctor who sexually assaulted her, but none of the coaches took the complaints of the girls seriously.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

She's set for the balance beam now! Weeewwww. She chose the most difficult event. I kinda get why she stayed. She didn't wanna waste her time training for nothing but yikes all those emotions play in your head worrying if you'll screw up and revert back....PLUS she has cameras and millions of people watching her. Those are nerves and feelings I can't relate to having the world watch.

Totally I woulda left LOL.

Elaine Thompson Hera ran for the kill!!! Geezuz. https://youtu.be/MN-OMz1AYIQ?t=32
    I was expecting Pryce to get the gold. I live in the, if you're not first, you're last place LOL.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vyanka View Post
    I don't watch the Olympics, so idk the full story...

I did read she and some other girls got sexually assaulted by their coach. Maybe that has a lot to do with her mental health? People should be giving him shit instead.

Has anyone thought that has A LOT to do with it? Um, hmmm.
    It was the team doctor who molested dozens of young girls. Doing life in Michigan. The REAL scandal is that the U.S.G.A. downplayed accusations against him and did not investigate until it was way too late. Same story at Michigan State University.
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

It was the team doctor who molested dozens of young girls. Doing life in Michigan. The REAL scandal is that the U.S.G.A. downplayed accusations against him and did not investigate until it was way too late. Same story at Michigan State University.
    It was more than 300 underage girls he molested and one male. YUCK.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...ssar-explained

45. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Simone won the Bronze Medal on the Balance Beam. Her routine was excellent but two Chinese gymnasts were near perfect and took Gold and Silver.
    Simone said her Bronze meant more to her than all her other medals. Good for her !
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Simone won the Bronze Medal on the Balance Beam. Her routine was excellent but two Chinese gymnasts were near perfect and took Gold and Silver.
    Simone said her Bronze meant more to her than all her other medals. Good for her !
    Yep. Good for her. She's incredibly strong. I didn't see the two who got gold and silver but she looked flawless up there.

https://youtu.be/vGA0AMHfK7k?t=73 Ughh Rebeca Andrades landing with that hop outta line. I would've thought about trying to save face by overly celebrating as if I did something incredible for the judges to see just as an attempt to erase that mistake at the end. LOL