Thread: Medicaid for my daughter as a stripper?

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Default Medicaid for my daughter as a stripper?

Hellooooo!

My 4 year old is currently on medicaid and I've recently quit my FT medical office job to be a dancer. It has occured to me that this could affect her coverage. How do medicaid applications/renewals work when you're a dancer? They usually ask for paychecks as proof of income so I'm not sure how that would work when I take home what I make each night

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,169 Times in 4,133 Posts

Default Re: Medicaid for my daughter as a stripper?

Which state are you living? The laws vary from state to state. You should also look into CHIP.

https://www.healthcare.gov/medicaid-...rance-program/

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    Which state are you living? The laws vary from state to state. You should also look into CHIP.
    Indiana!

God/dess
    Thanks

I suggest asking them if they would take a bank statement rather than a paycheck because you're getting paid in cash. If you make too much to qualify for Medicaid, then you should try CHIP.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 823 Posts

I would start filing my quarterly income tax returns, now rather than taking advantage of the one tax year grace period. Then use your quarterly tax returns as they more accurately reflect your income than do bank statements.

Also, set up a separate bank account - call it your business account, for all your stripping income. You will pay your ordinary and necessary business expenses from the business account. That forms the basis for your contemporaneous income reporting requirement. Pay yourself a draw from your busines account. But, remember to hold at least 30% for taxes. Get a CPA or enrolled agent to set up your books and tax filings. It's money well spent. Your CPA or enrolled agent can also advise on your benefits situation and how to pay for them.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the gig economy!

XOXO
    Z

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,836 Times in 4,712 Posts

If you find after awhile you end up making too much money for your daughter to qualify for medicaid, check out the plans available through https://www.healthcare.gov/

I was able to get an affordable plan that covered my super expensive medication with only a $50 copay. So happy because it would be a real hardship if I had to pay for that medication out of pocket. I tried healthcare.gov years ago when it first started and couldn't afford any of the ones offered, so things seem to be better now with it.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to laurielegs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,442 Times in 11,558 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Thanks so much for this thread & the posts!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laurielegs View Post
    If you find after awhile you end up making too much money for your daughter to qualify for medicaid, check out the plans available through https://www.healthcare.gov/

I was able to get an affordable plan that covered my super expensive medication with only a $50 copay. So happy because it would be a real hardship if I had to pay for that medication out of pocket. I tried healthcare.gov years ago when it first started and couldn't afford any of the ones offered, so things seem to be better now with it.
    One other way to save money on medication is to go to Canada for it, if you're not too far away. I'm not sure, but you may also be able to order from Canada by mail.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,836 Times in 4,712 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    One other way to save money on medication is to go to Canada for it, if you're not too far away. I'm not sure, but you may also be able to order from Canada by mail.
    Thanks for the tip but my deductible is only $50 and it's $740 to buy in Canada. Would not be an option anyway because it's a refrigerated medication and very perishable.

I'm super pleased that I can get it for $50. it's a fairly new medicine, Emgality, once a month shot and the only thing that has ever been effective for me for lifelong migraines (since the age of 4).

I'm really thankful I have insurance coverage though, was the difference between being in agony and disabled with migraines and vomiting, working maybe 10 hours a week if I'm lucky to being able to pull 40 to 60 hours now, no problem.

Back to the subject though, without the insurance I could buy through healthcare.gov I would be in a real hardship. I'm beyond happy with my coverage and would suggest anyone who doesn't qualify for another plan or medicaid to look into it. As my income increases I have to pay a little more for it, but I'm more than happy to do it since the insurance is what's allowing me to work this much.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to laurielegs For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

I'm very glad there is medication available that successfully treats your migraines, and you're able to get it at an affordable price. I may go to healthcare.gov for my insurance next year. I'm thankful that we have that option.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,193 Times in 2,556 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Vampire, if you want to keep the Medicaid, then key is to report enough income to appear credible, but not so much that you go over the Medicaid income limits.

https://www.in.gov/medicaid/members/...ibility-guide/

Anything you treat as reportable should go in the bank account and any leftover cash can be used to buy groceries, pay utilities at the local Walmart, etc.

Assuming you eventually start earning larger sums of money and wish to treat it as reportable so that you can obtain a mortgage, buy a nicer car, etc., then the tradeoff will be that you'll have to pay more for your child's health insurance. But even then Indiana has a CHIP plan which caps that at under $200 per month.

https://www.in.gov/medicaid/members/...works-premium/

And yes, before anyone jumps on here and starts making noise about tax dodging, let's be honest in admitting that most dancers do not report all of their income and many report little to none. I'm not suggesting the little to none route as that would close her off to the credit markets, but there is an optimal middle ground for sure.