Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Covid News Thread Number 500

Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 728 Posts

Default Re: Covid News Thread Number 500

Quote Originally Posted by Bahuba View Post
    Here is exactly what CDC Director Dr. Rochelle "everyone calls me Rachel" Walensky said on AUGUST 6th about Delta:

(CNN)Fully vaccinated people who get a Covid-19 breakthrough infection can transmit the virus, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Thursday.

"Our vaccines are working exceptionally well," Walensky told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "They continue to work well for Delta, with regard to severe illness and death -- they prevent it. But what they can't do anymore is prevent transmission."
    That's why the CDC changed its guidance last week and is now recommending even vaccinated people wear masks indoors again, Walensky said.
    Last week, the agency released a study that showed the Delta variant produced similar amounts of virus in vaccinated and unvaccinated people if they got infected -- data that suggests vaccinated people who get a breakthrough infection could have a similar tendency to spread the virus as the unvaccinated.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/05/healt...day/index.html

Please note there is TRANSMISSION, which occurs through direct or indirect contact, droplet or aerosol, and INFECTION, which occurs within the transmissee. The vaccines DO NOT prevent transmission, per CDC and many other qualified scientists and doctors. Some say they prevent infection, and limit severity of infection, and our blue member here appears to be saying that by his read of recent NY state data the rate of infection of vaccinated individuals is lower.

I'm not sure that interpretation factors in that reported rates are MUCH lower than actual rates of transmission and infection, and that what may be occurring is vaccinated are more likely to be symptomless and therefore less apparent.

Further, Omicron, which is clearly much more transmissible than Delta, in some studies, is MORE likely to infect the vaccinated than the unvaccinated, so we have no clarity yet from scientists.

As Miss AP said, the regrettable politicization of all this makes it even harder.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. You hit all the highlights with one post while it took me 3 or 4 to try and make the same points. Very nicely done.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 Times in 1,487 Posts

^^I am just reading the news, talking to my doctor, and sometimes talking to my friends who are doctors. I am fully vaccinated and have taken the booster shot, and I have had COVID.
    Where Am I? Missing NYC

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bahuba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,716 Times in 6,091 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

For what it's worth, Dr. Fauci and other top medical professionals have been perfectly clear about what a COVID infection means to people in high risk groups. There are no more excuses. If you end up dying gruesomely due to COVID....don't say that nobody warned you.

I'm so damned tired of anti-science sentiment in the United States. The brightest minds and hardest workers have stepped up during this Pandemic to make it clear that being aware and informed can save lives.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,793 Times in 747 Posts

So my city has reported that they have been seeing record numbers of covid cases. It's the highest it's ever been right now. I'm so glad my son got his booster shot and that I have mine, along with a box of kn95 masks. I am not happy about having to go out in the covid jungle and risk getting sick everyday. I try to hit up the stores when it's early so I Don't go near anyone.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoveyD For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,497 Times in 2,019 Posts

^^I am just reading the news, talking to my doctor, and sometimes talking to my friends who are doctors. I am fully vaccinated and have taken the booster shot, and I have had COVID.
    Can I ask how bad it was?
    Focus more on what you want than on what you donít want

9. The Following User Says Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moneybags View Post
    Can I ask how bad it was?

I was lucky. For me COVID was like a cross between a cold and the flu. The worst part of it was sneezing and a sore throat. It lasted for maybe 10 days end to end, with the ends being just slightly tired, and the middle being difficult. The worst three days I had a bad sore throat, didn't want to eat solids, slight night sweats, headache, couldn't really sleep, and had very strange bad dreams. In context, I've had worse sickness in the last 10 years easily. I had no fever, no loss of smell, no breathing issues, no brain fog. The excessive sneezing got on my nerves.
    Where Am I? Missing NYC

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bahuba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnuffleUffleGrass View Post
    For what it's worth, Dr. Fauci and other top medical professionals have been perfectly clear about what a COVID infection means to people in high risk groups. There are no more excuses. If you end up dying gruesomely due to COVID....don't say that nobody warned you.

I'm so damned tired of anti-science sentiment in the United States. The brightest minds and hardest workers have stepped up during this Pandemic to make it clear that being aware and informed can save lives.
    Um hmmmm. I AGREE with you about the "anti-science" tree dwellers.

Fauci ? I think he is a mixed bag. He's been right. He's been wrong just as often. He's lied and been caught at it. Personally I think he has too much baggage and is overdue for retirement.

That said, the "science" is clear that being vaxed is protective. If you are vaxed and get infected chances are excellent that you will not get seriously ill.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks
    Thanked 30,369 Times in 11,099 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed

Just heard that COVID tests (including the at home test) will be covered by health insurance so no need to pay out of pocketÖÖ.unless you donít want possible positive results on your record.

I personally will pay out of pocket bc. I donít want health Insurance companies knowing all my business

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2022/...ree-tests.html

14. The Following User Says Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,978 Times in 6,782 Posts

I was lucky. For me COVID was like a cross between a cold and the flu. The worst part of it was sneezing and a sore throat. It lasted for maybe 10 days end to end, with the ends being just slightly tired, and the middle being difficult. The worst three days I had a bad sore throat, didn't want to eat solids, slight night sweats, headache, couldn't really sleep, and had very strange bad dreams. In context, I've had worse sickness in the last 10 years easily. I had no fever, no loss of smell, no breathing issues, no brain fog. The excessive sneezing got on my nerves.

I was just telling my dad that when I had it last week, there was one evening in particular where something weird happened that kinda felt like a hallucination. I was laying in bed, and saw myself up on my bedroom ceiling (like floating or flying like an angel), and I was looking down at myself laying in bed. The shit was freaky. Also had an odd dream involving my mom and my niece. The day that Urgent Care told me I tested positive, they had a prescription for medicine called Bromphen sent to my pharmacy...and my dad had dropped it off for me. I had to take it every 4 hours. Nasty as hell, but it really did help. I'd been using up toilet paper to blow my nose, and whenever I'd sneezed my sore throat would hurt more. I also had the chills, which sucked. Dad had also dropped off some chicken noodle soup, some tea, and cough drops. My little sister and her kids dropped off a very thoughtful gift basket with two lottery tickets in it, a crossword puzzle book, two cards with sweet handwritten notes to me, etc.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's my understanding that people who previously had Covid can actually still come up positive on future tests long after (Up to 90 days, I think?) they're feeling 100% better. And I really hope that's not gonna cause me any issues with my future surgery appointment.

I have a February 4th surgery (Which would have been this month, but the hospital had to cancel all surgeries due to being crowded with Covid patients), and two days before the surgery I'm required to go to the hospital for a Covid test (That's their policy with all surgeries). My concern is that "Still coming up as positive on tests for up to 90 days" thing, and I'm wondering if they would actually turn me away and postpone my surgery AGAIN. I'm praying that doesn't happen, as that would be totally unfair. I don't think it will happen, because the college my son goes to is telling people that instead of a negative Covid test (when they return to campus in a few weeks for spring semester), they can show proof that they've had Covid in the past 90 days (or is it 60?). When I first read that I was like wait...what? And then a few people had to explain it to me...that it's because people who previously had Covid and are 100% better could still be coming up as positive on these future tests.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post
    Just heard that COVID tests (including the at home test) will be covered by health insurance so no need to pay out of pocket…….unless you don’t want possible positive results on your record.

I personally will pay out of pocket bc. I don’t want health Insurance companies knowing all my business

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2022/...ree-tests.html
    Right now they can’t ask you about pre exsisting conditions. They won’t ask if your positive when you file a claim-just lie if they do. Unless you’ve been hospitalized with Covid I don’t think they would know. You might be thinking of life insurance or disability insurance where they ask a bunch of questions. You don’t send in the test results to the insurance company. You just send in the receipt to file your claim. At least that’s how I think it works.

@ BrownFox
    You can text positive up to 90 day, but I don’t think that happens very often. I think that’s common with many viral illnesses that it can take awhile to clear from the viral debris from the system. You shouldn’t still be contagious. It’ll be fine BrownFox. Try to not worry. Br anxious for nothing.

I’m not sure what the end game is for all of this? We have to learn to live with it at some point. I’m still being responsible until the hospitals aren’t full, but I’d like to know what the CDC expects us to do moving forward. I can’t believe they didn’t have tests for us. The CDC has lost all credibility.
    Last edited by moneybags; 01-12-2022 at 01:13 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moneybags View Post
    @ BrownFox
    You can text positive up to 90 day, but I donít think that happens very often. I think thatís common with many viral illnesses that it can take awhile to clear from the viral debris from the system. You shouldnít still be contagious. Itíll be fine BrownFox. Try to not worry. Br anxious for nothing.

It isn't for nothing. I just got off the phone with the hospital, who informed me that they're having a board meeting next week to decide what to do about those of us surgery patients who they had to reschedule. They're crowded with Covid patients, and they're afraid that they'll probably have to reschedule all of our surgeries AGAIN. Because the sick Covid patients have to take priority. Shit's so fucked up.

And they're going to do my Covid test a bit differently now. They're gonna make me come in sooner for a PCR test, and then depending on how that comes out, I'll have to make ANOTHER trip there to do a different fucking Covid test.

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrownFox View Post
    It isn't for nothing. I just got off the phone with the hospital, who informed me that they're having a board meeting next week to decide what to do about those of us surgery patients who they had to reschedule. They're crowded with Covid patients, and they're afraid that they'll probably have to reschedule all of our surgeries AGAIN. Because the sick Covid patients have to take priority. Shit's so fucked up.

And they're going to do my Covid test a bit differently now. They're gonna make me come in sooner for a PCR test, and then depending on how that comes out, I'll have to make ANOTHER trip there to do a different fucking Covid test.
    I’m sorry. Covid sucks

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was just telling my dad that when I had it last week, there was one evening in particular where something weird happened that kinda felt like a hallucination. I was laying in bed, and saw myself up on my bedroom ceiling (like floating or flying like an angel), and I was looking down at myself laying in bed. The shit was freaky. Also had an odd dream involving my mom and my niece. .
    ^This! I haven't had that sort of weirdness since I was a kid. I felt like I was in one of those 1800s opium dens
    Where Am I? Missing NYC

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bahuba For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was just telling my dad that when I had it last week, there was one evening in particular where something weird happened that kinda felt like a hallucination. I was laying in bed, and saw myself up on my bedroom ceiling (like floating or flying like an angel), and I was looking down at myself laying in bed. The shit was freaky. Also had an odd dream involving my mom and my niece. The day that Urgent Care told me I tested positive, they had a prescription for medicine called Bromphen sent to my pharmacy...and my dad had dropped it off for me. I had to take it every 4 hours. Nasty as hell, but it really did help. I'd been using up toilet paper to blow my nose, and whenever I'd sneezed my sore throat would hurt more. I also had the chills, which sucked. Dad had also dropped off some chicken noodle soup, some tea, and cough drops. My little sister and her kids dropped off a very thoughtful gift basket with two lottery tickets in it, a crossword puzzle book, two cards with sweet handwritten notes to me, etc.
    Do you think you may have had a near-death experience? Did you feel outside of your body, or see a Light? That's great your family has been taking good care of you.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveyD For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Encanto parody-we don’t talk about covid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoveyD View Post
    Do you think you may have had a near-death experience? Did you feel outside of your body, or see a Light? That's great your family has been taking good care of you.

Near-death experience? Not at all. No, I didn't see a light. It was exactly as I described in the other post (On my ceiling and in the bed at the same time). And it was just like having a cold with flu symptoms. Chills, cough/phlegm, runny, stuffy nose and nasal congestion, sore throat that would hurt more when I sneezed, headache, nausea (Didn't throw up though). I did not have a fever though.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,349 Times in 4,837 Posts

Oh wow that does sound freaky. I'm glad your family is nearby to help some. (((hugs)))

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laurielegs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Near-death experience? Not at all. No, I didn't see a light. It was exactly as I described in the other post (On my ceiling and in the bed at the same time). And it was just like having a cold with flu symptoms. Chills, cough/phlegm, runny, stuffy nose and nasal congestion, sore throat that would hurt more when I sneezed, headache, nausea (Didn't throw up though). I did not have a fever though.
    I'm glad you're okay. With you feeling up by the ceiling it sounded like an out-of-body experience, something that happens when you have an nde. I've heard a lot about people having weird dreams during covid, especially with this omicron variant. I hope you're feeling a lot better! This virus is no joke!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveyD For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Covid becoming endemic. Is this the beginning of the end?

Hopefully this spring/summer we can go back to normal. He says covid will be just like the flu/common cold. The problem we have now is unvaccinated people are getting really sick and the hospitals are full. Either way we’re gonna be exposed to covid. Soon we’ll all have natural or artificial immunity, or most likely both. Covid won’t be nearly as bad next winter unless there’s some monster variant. Let’s hope covid keeps becoming less pathogenic so we can move on with our lives

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoveyD View Post
    I'm glad you're okay. With you feeling up by the ceiling it sounded like an out-of-body experience, something that happens when you have an nde. I've heard a lot about people having weird dreams during covid, especially with this omicron variant. I hope you're feeling a lot better! This virus is no joke!

Okay. Yeah, I was nowhere near close to death. Lol. Yes, I've been better for like a week now. Thanks!

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,307 Times in 4,196 Posts

Very glad to hear you're better!

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 23,021 Times in 11,829 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

One of my associates has it, company tried to sweep it under the rug, really person, I did notice their going to a fair amount of social gatherings & restaurants

42. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have a colleague in DC, she took the test in the morning, and opened the results on a zoom call with me and several others. It was positive, and by the end of the call she was coughing and had a scratchy voice. Omicron works quick.
    Where Am I? Missing NYC

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bahuba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 23,148 Times in 6,452 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

You can now get free at home covid test from the USPS. The shipments go out at the end of this month

https://special.usps.com/testkits

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast