Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51

Thread: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

  1. #26
    God/dess miss.a.p1600's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    14,994
    Thanks
    44,088
    Thanked 32,656 Times in 11,891 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    You don't need $50,000 to buy an electric car. There are used electric vehicles for as low as $6,500.

    https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JN1AZ0CP7CT020514
    Used electric vehicles are not as good quality as used gas vehicles

    Maybe if it’s used electric and still comes with some sort of warranty.

    As mentioned above if the electric battery replacement is expensive as hell - owning it deeply used (where it only costs $6k for the car) wouldn’t that mean the replacements/maintenance are beyond expensive as hell so doesn’t that defeat the purpose of owning a very old low priced electric vehicle
    “Cook for him like a housewife, fuck him good like a nympho….pay the rent and the car note, he invests in me like crypto”

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    God/dess whirlerz's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    26,579
    Thanks
    54,038
    Thanked 25,247 Times in 12,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    My Mood
    Aggressive

    Mind Blowing Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    I remember, (quite a while ago) this guy bought a Toyota hybrid, he was a store manager, and he had to go in the city frequently..
    He said there were only two on the lot, no one was interested in them at the time..

    He said he got 50mpg.


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    God/dess
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,744
    Thanks
    5,928
    Thanked 9,822 Times in 4,448 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post
    Used electric vehicles are not as good quality as used gas vehicles

    Maybe if it’s used electric and still comes with some sort of warranty.

    As mentioned above if the electric battery replacement is expensive as hell - owning it deeply used (where it only costs $6k for the car) wouldn’t that mean the replacements/maintenance are beyond expensive as hell so doesn’t that defeat the purpose of owning a very old low priced electric vehicle
    Used electric vehicles are higher in quality than used gas vehicles because electric vehicles have far fewer moving parts and need less maintenance. They don't need any regular maintenance, other than rotating the tires. They don't need oil changes or tune ups. Electric vehicles don't have transmissions. If you need to replace the battery on a 2012 Leaf, the battery cost is $4,500, and the total replacement cost for parts and labor is $5,500.

    https://www.recurrentauto.com/resear...ry-replacement

    If you were to buy a used 2012 Nissan Leaf for 6 or 7 thousand dollars, and had to replace the battery, the total cost would be 11 or 12 thousand dollars, which isn't that bad. The one drawback is the limited range of approximately 73 miles. If you rarely drive more than 73 miles a day and you have a home charger, it might be worth it to consider a cheap, used electric vehicle, and if you occasionally need to take a long trip and don't want to fly, to rent a car. With gas at $5 a gallon, an electric vehicle makes sense for some people. My brother has a Tesla. He said the money he spends on charging would be the equivalent of getting gas for $1 a gallon. I haven't gotten one because I live in an apartment and don't have a place to charge, and right now, the wait time for a Tesla is 5 - 10 months, due to demand.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:


  7. #29
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 427 Times in 237 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    Used electric vehicles are higher in quality than used gas vehicles because electric vehicles have far fewer moving parts and need less maintenance. They don't need any regular maintenance, other than rotating the tires. They don't need oil changes or tune ups. Electric vehicles don't have transmissions. If you need to replace the battery on a 2012 Leaf, the battery cost is $4,500, and the total replacement cost for parts and labor is $5,500.

    https://www.recurrentauto.com/resear...ry-replacement

    If you were to buy a used 2012 Nissan Leaf for 6 or 7 thousand dollars, and had to replace the battery, the total cost would be 11 or 12 thousand dollars, which isn't that bad. The one drawback is the limited range of approximately 73 miles. If you rarely drive more than 73 miles a day and you have a home charger, it might be worth it to consider a cheap, used electric vehicle, and if you occasionally need to take a long trip and don't want to fly, to rent a car. With gas at $5 a gallon, an electric vehicle makes sense for some people. My brother has a Tesla. He said the money he spends on charging would be the equivalent of getting gas for $1 a gallon. I haven't gotten one because I live in an apartment and don't have a place to charge, and right now, the wait time for a Tesla is 5 - 10 months, due to demand.
    4.5k on a 10 year old car is pretty terrible though, the only way it makes sense is if it was above that in kelly blue book over a gasoline equivalent.

  8. #30
    God/dess
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,744
    Thanks
    5,928
    Thanked 9,822 Times in 4,448 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by DeathAndTaxes View Post
    4.5k on a 10 year old car is pretty terrible though, the only way it makes sense is if it was above that in kelly blue book over a gasoline equivalent.
    The cost of the battery replacement is factored into the price of the car, which is why it was selling for $6,500. The car originally sold for $36,000. With a new battery, it would probably run like new. Maybe even better, if the new battery is better than the original one. A 2012 Toyota Corolla goes for around $11,000.

    https://www.kbb.com/toyota/corolla/2012/

    Getting a 2012 Nissan Leaf for $6,500 and buying a new battery for it, would cost around as much as a 2012 Corolla. If you have a place to charge an electric car, and electricity is inexpensive where you live, you could save a lot of money by getting a used Leaf instead of a gas-powered car, with gas at $5 a gallon. If you don't have a place to charge at home, or if you frequently drive more than 73 miles in a day, then you're better off with a gas-powered car or hybrid.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:


  10. #31
    God/dess Eric Stoner's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,065
    Thanks
    1,209
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 851 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    The cost of the battery replacement is factored into the price of the car, which is why it was selling for $6,500. The car originally sold for $36,000. With a new battery, it would probably run like new. Maybe even better, if the new battery is better than the original one. A 2012 Toyota Corolla goes for around $11,000.

    https://www.kbb.com/toyota/corolla/2012/

    Getting a 2012 Nissan Leaf for $6,500 and buying a new battery for it, would cost around as much as a 2012 Corolla. If you have a place to charge an electric car, and electricity is inexpensive where you live, you could save a lot of money by getting a used Leaf instead of a gas-powered car, with gas at $5 a gallon. If you don't have a place to charge at home, or if you frequently drive more than 73 miles in a day, then you're better off with a gas-powered car or hybrid.
    Hmmmm. " If you have a place to charge an electric car, and electricity is inexpensive where you live ... " Many Tesla owners say they spend more time charging their car than they do sleeping. In which major cities ( where electric cars make the most sense for everyday getting around ) is electricity "inexpensive" ? The rates are going up in almost every major city I can think of.

    A 73 mile range is actually not that bad for everyday getting around in a city so it actually might make sense to buy a used electric car. It all depends.

    As of now, the national average electricity rate is 14.47 cents per kWh.
    Texas is one of the cheapest at 12.80.
    California is one of the most expensive - 26.71
    Some other populous states with their rates :
    Arizona- 12.68
    Connecticut - 25.61
    Florida- 13.50
    Hawaii- 39.97
    Illinois 14.73
    Massachusetts- 25.33
    Michigan- 17.43
    Nevada- 13.39
    New Jersey- 16.93
    New York - 19.74
    Pennsylvania - 14.70
    Ohio - 12.87
    Last edited by Eric Stoner; 06-23-2022 at 08:25 AM.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

  11. #32
    God/dess
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,744
    Thanks
    5,928
    Thanked 9,822 Times in 4,448 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    Hmmmm. " If you have a place to charge an electric car, and electricity is inexpensive where you live ... " Many Tesla owners say they spend more time charging their car than they do sleeping. In which major cities ( where electric cars make the most sense for everyday getting around ) is electricity "inexpensive" ? The rates are going up in almost every major city I can think of.
    A Tesla home charger can add approximately 44 miles per hour. The average American drives approximately 39 miles a day, so it should take around an hour charge time for the amount of driving an average American does, and a charger should be able to add over 300 miles range if you charge overnight. Tesla has the highest customer satisfaction rating, so owners don't think charge time is too big of a problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    A 73 mile range is actually not that bad for everyday getting around in a city so it actually might make sense to buy a used electric car. It all depends.
    I agree. A used Leaf would work for a lot of people, but people who drive long distances every day and people who don't have access to a home charger would probably be better off with something else. Paying 6 or 7 thousands for a used Leaf is a bargain, even if you have spend another $5,000 for a new battery.

  12. #33
    God/dess
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,744
    Thanks
    5,928
    Thanked 9,822 Times in 4,448 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
    I was debating getting an electric car. I totally refuse to get one until they have a solar powered car. It's not worth the price tag, especially a battery replacement. It's like 13-14,000 for a battery replacement.

    This guy talked me out of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0flRWnQIQmA
    Aptera makes an electric vehicles with solar panels. If you leave the car in the sun for a day, it will give you enough range for approximately 40 miles. With a fully charged battery, it has a range of 1,000 miles.

    https://aptera.us/reserve/

    Batteries on the newest EVs are expected to last as long as the car. Tesla's latest batteries are supposed to last for 1 million miles. Check the warranty. If you're planning to keep it for 8 years and the battery has an eight year warranty, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    Last edited by eagle2; Yesterday at 01:51 AM.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:


  14. #34
    God/dess
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,744
    Thanks
    5,928
    Thanked 9,822 Times in 4,448 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam38g View Post
    It is going to be about 10 more years before I purchase an electric car. BUT!!! I do buy stock in Ford, since I first say the Electric Mustang, it looks fierce. And if you own 100 shares in Ford for a year or more then you get a major discount off of any Ford you buy. Since the future is Electric cars, I also invest in Livent, Plug Power and Charge Point.

    Since the stock market is so down, trying to buy a little bit often. Right now, a share in Ford is like just under $12.
    Ford is also coming out with a cool electric pickup truck.

    https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/

    Looks like it's sold out for now.

    Buying stocks when the market is down is a good strategy.

  15. #35
    God/dess laurielegs's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2010
    Location
    USA, northeast
    Posts
    7,072
    Thanks
    29,118
    Thanked 16,901 Times in 4,980 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    I reserved an Aptera solar. I love the concept. Even a power failure wouldn't stop that car. Let's say you got stranded somehow, you'd just have to sit there till it charged up again. Pretty amazing.

    I was tempted to get the 1000 mile range one but I think I'm sticking with the 600 mile range. I doubt I'd drive more than that in one go anyway.
    _____________________________________



  16. The Following User Says Thank You to laurielegs For This Useful Post:


  17. #36
    God/dess indiegirl's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,011
    Thanks
    2,902
    Thanked 10,250 Times in 3,273 Posts
    My Mood
    Relaxed

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    A Tesla home charger can add approximately 44 miles per hour. The average American drives approximately 39 miles a day, so it should take around an hour charge time for the amount of driving an average American does, and a charger should be able to add over 300 miles range if you charge overnight. Tesla has the highest customer satisfaction rating, so owners don't think charge time is too big of a problem.



    I agree. A used Leaf would work for a lot of people, but people who drive long distances every day and people who don't have access to a home charger would probably be better off with something else. Paying 6 or 7 thousands for a used Leaf is a bargain, even if you have spend another $5,000 for a new battery.
    God bless those who live in California and are commuters. It's too expensive to drive 60 miles there and then back 60 miles to work deep in LA or deep in OC. Charging at home is more expensive. The first solar power/partial electric car is available..............at 263,000 dollars soon and is going into production. Hopefully we have a few more years until it's fully solar. I just don't see the profit behind selling a solar powered car. It would tank both the gas and electric industries.



  18. #37
    God/dess rickdugan's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,537
    Thanks
    4,355
    Thanked 7,414 Times in 2,676 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    I love the concept of an electric car. I really do. But I don't like the reality as it currently exists. The infrastructure is spotty at best and the hassles are many. I just can't wrap my arms around having to remember to plug it in at home or waiting at charging stations, some of which apparently do not work as well as advertised. I have also read that inclement weather can dramatically reduce the miles that can be driven on one charge as it forces the battery to work much harder and drains it more quickly.

    Truth be told, outside of Tesla, which has benefitted both from a status symbol rep and partial self driving tech, most manufacturers are struggling to sell EVs. I think Elon Musk had it right when he recently opined that the key to Tesla's future is in the further development of self driving capabilities. Until EV manufacturers offer something that make the additional hassles worth it, IMHO they're going to struggle with widespread adoption.

    Heck, if I could buy a car that would let me snooze while it drove and/or get me safely home from a night in the clubs, I'd be the first in line, even if it was fairly expensive. But the reality is that, with the existing technology limitations, we're likely decades away from true Level 5 self-driving cars.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:


  20. #38
    God/dess indiegirl's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,011
    Thanks
    2,902
    Thanked 10,250 Times in 3,273 Posts
    My Mood
    Relaxed

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by rickdugan View Post
    I love the concept of an electric car. I really do. But I don't like the reality as it currently exists. The infrastructure is spotty at best and the hassles are many. I just can't wrap my arms around having to remember to plug it in at home or waiting at charging stations, some of which apparently do not work as well as advertised. I have also read that inclement weather can dramatically reduce the miles that can be driven on one charge as it forces the battery to work much harder and drains it more quickly.

    Truth be told, outside of Tesla, which has benefitted both from a status symbol rep and partial self driving tech, most manufacturers are struggling to sell EVs. I think Elon Musk had it right when he recently opined that the key to Tesla's future is in the further development of self driving capabilities. Until EV manufacturers offer something that make the additional hassles worth it, IMHO they're going to struggle with widespread adoption.

    Heck, if I could buy a car that would let me snooze while it drove and/or get me safely home from a night in the clubs, I'd be the first in line, even if it was fairly expensive. But the reality is that, with the existing technology limitations, we're likely decades away from true Level 5 self-driving cars.
    Yes. I concur. I thought we would be napping behind the wheel in due time. Heck, I though we would be entering the Jetson's future era with flying vehicles at this point in life. However that concept is out the door.

    Too many negatives with pure electric.



  21. The Following User Says Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:


  22. #39
    Veteran Member Staci's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    206
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 359 Times in 149 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
    I was debating getting an electric car. I totally refuse to get one until they have a solar powered car.
    Like this one? haha
    solar car.jpg

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Staci For This Useful Post:


  24. #40
    God/dess
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,744
    Thanks
    5,928
    Thanked 9,822 Times in 4,448 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Aptera's electric vehicle can go up to 40 miles a day on solar, and up to 1,000 miles on a full charge.




  25. #41
    God/dess rickdugan's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,537
    Thanks
    4,355
    Thanked 7,414 Times in 2,676 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    Aptera's electric vehicle can go up to 40 miles a day on solar, and up to 1,000 miles on a full charge.
    LOL. Is that a car or a gokart? I somehow don't see that thing gaining too much mass appeal.

  26. #42
    God/dess indiegirl's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,011
    Thanks
    2,902
    Thanked 10,250 Times in 3,273 Posts
    My Mood
    Relaxed

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by rickdugan View Post
    LOL. Is that a car or a gokart? I somehow don't see that thing gaining too much mass appeal.
    It looks like it could fly TBH!!! It's too small for me personally. Too small to be safe. Kinda like a donorcycle aka motorcycle.



  27. The Following User Says Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:


  28. #43
    God/dess indiegirl's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,011
    Thanks
    2,902
    Thanked 10,250 Times in 3,273 Posts
    My Mood
    Relaxed

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by Staci View Post
    Like this one? haha
    solar car.jpg
    I'm down for this moment. LOL. It's my vehicle version of a wedding train. hahaha. Too funny.



  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:


  30. #44
    God/dess
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,744
    Thanks
    5,928
    Thanked 9,822 Times in 4,448 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
    It looks like it could fly TBH!!! It's too small for me personally. Too small to be safe. Kinda like a donorcycle aka motorcycle.
    It's definitely safer than a motorcycle, since it has safety belts and airbags. Here's what I could find on its safety:

    https://cleantechnica.com/2020/12/09...-aptera-today/

    For crash safety, the vehicle also seems to be very good. Previous versions of the Aptera did undergo federal safety testing (FMVSS), and it’s improved since then with better materials and design. While very strong, the composites are also able to flex a bit. Even a sledgehammer can’t get through, because the materials compress a bit and spring back to shape. In other words, you won’t be riding in a cheap plastic egg that you’d get smashed up in.

  31. #45
    God/dess
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,744
    Thanks
    5,928
    Thanked 9,822 Times in 4,448 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Also, one safety advantage electric vehicles have over gas powered cars is that they don't have a massive engine in the front, that will go into the driver/passenger in a head-on collision. That's why Tesla vehicles have the best crash ratings.

  32. #46
    God/dess rickdugan's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,537
    Thanks
    4,355
    Thanked 7,414 Times in 2,676 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    It's definitely safer than a motorcycle, since it has safety belts and airbags. Here's what I could find on its safety:

    https://cleantechnica.com/2020/12/09...-aptera-today/
    I don't buy it. That Aptera weighs a grand total of 1,800 pounds, which is half the weight of a normal sedan and a much smaller % of an SUV or a pickup truck. I sure as hell would not want to be hit by a real car moving at speed while driving that lightweight thing on what looks like 3 bicycle tires.

  33. #47
    Featured Member naomi_doll's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,484
    Thanks
    5,713
    Thanked 2,598 Times in 978 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    I was actually just thinking that I wish they still made smart cars here. I really only drive to the store and the library so I don't need a big car at all.
    "The prize never goes to the fastest guy, it goes to the guy who slows down the least."
    Discord Support Group for Cammodels and Strippers - https://discord.gg/JtGdjv6zWZ

  34. #48
    God/dess
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,744
    Thanks
    5,928
    Thanked 9,822 Times in 4,448 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by rickdugan View Post
    I don't buy it. That Aptera weighs a grand total of 1,800 pounds, which is half the weight of a normal sedan and a much smaller % of an SUV or a pickup truck. I sure as hell would not want to be hit by a real car moving at speed while driving that lightweight thing on what looks like 3 bicycle tires.
    The Aptera is made from composites, which is stronger than steel, but only 1/4 the weight. The latest fighter planes are also made from composites. So is the Boeing 787.

    From:
    https://www.facebook.com/ApteraMotor...1870452406069/

    Aptera is made from sandwich-cored composites consisting of carbon, kevlar and hemp. In previous tests, we had the highest roof crush strength of any passenger vehicle on the road. And our new version is even stronger!
    Electric vehicles have a much lower center of gravity than gas powered vehicles because the battery pack is on the bottom of the car, so electric vehicles are much less likely to roll over.

  35. #49
    God/dess rickdugan's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,537
    Thanks
    4,355
    Thanked 7,414 Times in 2,676 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    The Aptera is made from composites, which is stronger than steel, but only 1/4 the weight. The latest fighter planes are also made from composites. So is the Boeing 787.

    From:
    https://www.facebook.com/ApteraMotor...1870452406069/

    Electric vehicles have a much lower center of gravity than gas powered vehicles because the battery pack is on the bottom of the car, so electric vehicles are much less likely to roll over.
    I'll keep all of that in mind when a 5,000 lb crossover hits my 1,800 lb Aptera at 70 miles per hour and my brains are scrambled eggs.

  36. #50
    God/dess
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,744
    Thanks
    5,928
    Thanked 9,822 Times in 4,448 Posts

    Default Re: Electric Cars, cars of the Future!

    Not going to bother feeding the troll.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-31-2019, 03:54 PM
  2. Future PSO Here and to All New/Future PSO's On Earth
    By pinkpetal in forum Other Work
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2018, 10:27 PM
  3. Cam Model/Future Dental Hygienist , Affect Future?
    By Asus in forum Industry Insight
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2015, 06:27 PM
  4. Electric Razors
    By lolabigcupps in forum Body Business
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 12:03 AM
  5. Electric Razors
    By tRoUbLeMaKeR in forum Body Business
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 08:17 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •