Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87

Thread: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

  1. #1
    Featured Member trustfundkiller's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,394
    Thanks
    3,907
    Thanked 4,479 Times in 1,141 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

    Default SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...inion-00029473

    Scary times we're living in. Of all the issues going on in our country, Republicans have decided that abortion rights are a top priority despite the fact that 69% of Americans do not want this. Very concerning as there are a number of religious zealots on the Supreme Court who don't care about logic, morality or principles, and will use this as an opportunity to enforce their beliefs on us. This decision would be a truly devastating step backwards for our country, but nothing surprises me anymore.

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    God/dess Eric Stoner's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,065
    Thanks
    1,215
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 851 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    It's not a final opinion. Most observers expected a trimming of Roe v. Wade without a total overturning. If it is the final decision then abortion will once again be a State not Federal issue. Some states will be more restrictive. Some will ban abortion outright. Some will expand abortion rights beyond Roe i.e. any abortion , any time for any reason. Groups like PP will probably organize trips from states that ban or restrict to those with greater availability. It will not be the end of the world but it will be different. If, as the polls say, most Americans want to retain Roe in whole or in part then abortion will remain a hot button issue at the state level.

    The real outrage is with whoever leaked the draft opinion. He or she should be ferreted out , fired and disbarred. They already have a few prime suspects.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Veteran Member Likethis's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    556
    Thanks
    3,004
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 471 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    ^Some nerve coming here talking about "the real outrage". Women have literally died from strict abortion laws. There are several examples through the years and internationally where women have been refused certain care in order to "save the child" and in the process the women themselves have died.

    Women are out there risking their lives having babies, pregnancy and giving birth can literally kill a woman (a friend of mine recently had a child and lost so much blood but thankfully she was in a hospital and they quickly gave her blood transfusion and then surgery). Just the thought of being involuntarily pregnant is very scary, completely losing control of your body and life. And what kind of life will those children get, often the pregnant woman wants an abortion for a reason although she doesn't need one at all as it should be a free choice.

    But who gives a fuck about women's rights to their bodies or if women die right, let's find the one who leaked the draft *priorities*


  6. #4
    Featured Member LaurenAus's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,342
    Thanks
    4,782
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 726 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    It's not a final opinion. Most observers expected a trimming of Roe v. Wade without a total overturning. If it is the final decision then abortion will once again be a State not Federal issue. Some states will be more restrictive. Some will ban abortion outright. Some will expand abortion rights beyond Roe i.e. any abortion , any time for any reason. Groups like PP will probably organize trips from states that ban or restrict to those with greater availability. It will not be the end of the world but it will be different. If, as the polls say, most Americans want to retain Roe in whole or in part then abortion will remain a hot button issue at the state level.

    The real outrage is with whoever leaked the draft opinion. He or she should be ferreted out , fired and disbarred. They already have a few prime suspects.
    Imagine coming on a sex worker friendly, majority female forum, to post that the real outrage surrounding this issue about taking our reproductive rights away is really about "whoever leaked draft opinion" and that the potential consequences will "not be the end of the world"
    Last edited by LaurenAus; 05-03-2022 at 02:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetJulia View Post
    everyone I've fucked who was awful in bed should be forced to have sex with each other so they can all, collectively, figure out why I never called them back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Sunset View Post
    Nothing makes me feel like less of an adult than walking into several other people's apartments and realizing we all own the exact same lamp from K-mart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam38g View Post
    The fantasy sold to women through out history that a man will come along & rescue us is a lie.


  7. #5
    Featured Member
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,075
    Thanks
    1,350
    Thanked 2,782 Times in 907 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Can we just pre-emptively lock this thread? Or does it have to turn into a 20 page shitshow first? This is a sensitive topic.

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lurkingtitties For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Featured Member kamiliam's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,314
    Thanks
    3,583
    Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,130 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post

    The real outrage is with whoever leaked the draft opinion. He or she should be ferreted out , fired and disbarred. They already have a few prime suspects.
    pretty high probability it came from clerk(s) on the majority opinion. You still feel the same way?

    even my argumentative self has no desire to go back and forth on this with people who fundamentally don’t consider us equal.

    all cases in the scope of our right to privacy is up for grabs with this illegitimate court.
    If you never knew me, that'd probably be cheaper

    If you really knew me, you would know I don't need ya- Saweetie

  10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kamiliam For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Featured Member trustfundkiller's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,394
    Thanks
    3,907
    Thanked 4,479 Times in 1,141 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by lurkingtitties View Post
    Can we just pre-emptively lock this thread? Or does it have to turn into a 20 page shitshow first? This is a sensitive topic.
    I didn't think this thread would be dramatic as long as people keep it civil. I'm very curious to hear what other people think about the likelihood of this actually happening.

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    God/dess Marina Starr's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Don't Bother Me, USA
    Posts
    9,675
    Thanks
    11,827
    Thanked 36,682 Times in 8,421 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    It made my heart swell when 'blues' are being dragged. I'm here for ALL of it.

    Men that say they're allies for women's rights but ain't doing shit, it's time to step up and get a vasectomy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Carmen~
    Everyone of us deserves kindness, respect and we're worthy of good treatment.

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marina Starr For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    God/dess
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,756
    Thanks
    5,935
    Thanked 9,838 Times in 4,460 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    The real outrage is with whoever leaked the draft opinion. He or she should be ferreted out , fired and disbarred. They already have a few prime suspects.
    Are you kidding?! The real outrage is that one of our political parties, as well as the majority of Supreme Court justices, have a complete disregard for the Constitution, the rule of law, the will of the American people, as well as the health and lives of young women. Five of the six conservative members of the Supreme Court were appointed by presidents who lost the popular vote. At least three were confirmed by senators representing less than half of the American people. We now have a party that represents a minority of Americans, consisting mostly of old, white Christians, imposing their backward, ignorant religious beliefs on the rest of America.
    Last edited by eagle2; 05-03-2022 at 05:13 PM.

  16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Moderator Djoser's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Key West
    Posts
    16,328
    Thanks
    1,377
    Thanked 5,465 Times in 2,765 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    The real outrage is with whoever leaked the draft opinion.
    No, the REAL outrage is that we now have Bible beating zealots in the SCOTUS, trying to bring back atavism in the name of Jesus.

    Now I am breaking the damned rules about politics here. But as this is a forum dedicated to women in the adult industry, I don't feel too bad about criticizing these fucks who want women subservient and docile, because their warped view of a 2,000 year old man, and the incredibly contrived subsequent mythology surrounding him tells them it's the 'right' thing to do.
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

    Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

    ______________________________________

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Djoser For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Moderator Djoser's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Key West
    Posts
    16,328
    Thanks
    1,377
    Thanked 5,465 Times in 2,765 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by lurkingtitties View Post
    Can we just pre-emptively lock this thread? Or does it have to turn into a 20 page shitshow first? This is a sensitive topic.
    I loosened up the formerly strict policy against politics here about the time Trump started calling himself the 'Chosen One', knowing full well that many millions of his most loyal followers actually, literally believe that we in the adult industry will burn alive for all time in hell. Then there was the Covid thing, the war in Ukraine, etc. So I've tried to keep it a little more open, with varying results.

    I still don't want to see the kind of personal attacks we saw here on SW many years ago, before the ban on politics. What I've done in the past was watch for reports and try to gauge the level of nastiness, and if it got out of hand, close the thread. I'd hate to do so here, but may well wind up doing so.
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

    Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

    ______________________________________

  20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Djoser For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Moderator Djoser's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Key West
    Posts
    16,328
    Thanks
    1,377
    Thanked 5,465 Times in 2,765 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

    Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

    ______________________________________

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Djoser For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    God/dess rickdugan's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,537
    Thanks
    4,355
    Thanked 7,419 Times in 2,680 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by trustfundkiller View Post
    I didn't think this thread would be dramatic as long as people keep it civil. I'm very curious to hear what other people think about the likelihood of this actually happening.
    Tbh I think it is highly probable at this point. Yes votes can change prior to formal issuance, but the judges in question were tipping their hands during oral arguments in November and this just confirms where they were headed.

    There is a silver lining in this though for those who are unhappy with this. The draft opinion is essentially saying that the Supreme Court never had the Constitutional right to overturn the TX ban on abortion in 1973 because the Constitution is silent on the topic. Whatever powers not explicitly granted to the federal government or explicitly prohibited to the states are solely the province of the states. In essence this means that the same rationale used to allow states to decide the issue will also ensure that there can never be a federal ban on abortion.

  24. #14
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 428 Times in 238 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by rickdugan View Post
    Tbh I think it is highly probable at this point. Yes votes can change prior to formal issuance, but the judges in question were tipping their hands during oral arguments in November and this just confirms where they were headed.

    There is a silver lining in this though for those who are unhappy with this. The draft opinion is essentially saying that the Supreme Court never had the Constitutional right to overturn the TX ban on abortion in 1973 because the Constitution is silent on the topic. Whatever powers not explicitly granted to the federal government or explicitly prohibited to the states are solely the province of the states. In essence this means that the same rationale used to allow states to decide the issue will also ensure that there can never be a federal ban on abortion.
    No, the SCOTUS law already ignored the sue/snitch on your neighbor provisions of the latest Texas law. This is 100% endless overreach, next step is making it illegal to cross state lines to get an abortion, then full federal ban on abortions.

    Extremists will never stop at just overturning Roe v Wade. Extremists will never stop at anything really.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to DeathAndTaxes For This Useful Post:


  26. #15
    God/dess rickdugan's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,537
    Thanks
    4,355
    Thanked 7,419 Times in 2,680 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by DeathAndTaxes View Post
    This is 100% endless overreach, next step is making it illegal to cross state lines to get an abortion, then full federal ban on abortions.
    They can try, but it won't succeed. I know that Rand Paul of KY has wanted to shoot for a federal ban. But the Supreme Court is not going to take the position that abortion laws are the province of the states and then allow other branches of the federal government to override that determination.

    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

    This is why almost all criminal matters, licensing decisions, practice credentials (including legal and medical) are decided at the state level. If this ruling goes through, abortion will be no different.

  27. #16
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 428 Times in 238 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    It was believed, not too recently, that it would have been impossible for the court to overturn precedent, but here we are.

    Extremists will push it, and Democrats keep laying down and taking it. Name a more iconic duo for full fledged fascism.
    Last edited by DeathAndTaxes; 05-04-2022 at 07:54 AM.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to DeathAndTaxes For This Useful Post:


  29. #17
    God/dess rickdugan's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,537
    Thanks
    4,355
    Thanked 7,419 Times in 2,680 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by DeathAndTaxes View Post
    It was believed, not to recently, that it would have been impossible for the court to overturn precedent, but here we are.

    Extremists will push it, and Democrats keep laying down and taking it. Name a more iconic duo for full fledged fascism.
    To be clear, I'm not here to argue the pros and cons of abortion, just to discuss the Court's thinking as I understand it.

    Tbh the precedent has always had very shaky legs from a Constitutional standpoint. In order to make it work, the Court first had to infer a right to privacy that never existed in the Constitution and then engage in creative mental gymnastics to shoehorn abortion in as a privacy issue. At the time it was a very liberal court with Justices prone to rather broad interpretations, this probably being one of their broadest. It was probably inevitable that the pendulum would swing and that, eventually, the precedent would be overturned once the Court had more Constitutional texualists in its ranks.

    But as far as fascism, let's tone it down. Fascists take power, they don't give it away to others (in this case the states). Like it or not, this court is doing here what it has done in several other cases, which is to keep the federal government in check. It just so happens that many aren't happy with this particular limit on federal authority.

    And with that I am going to unsubscribe. I came on here just to discuss the process and this is everything I have on that topic. I understand that there are going to be a lot of strong feelings on the potential impacts of this so I will get out of the way and wish all well.
    Last edited by rickdugan; 05-04-2022 at 08:21 AM.

  30. #18
    God/dess Eric Stoner's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,065
    Thanks
    1,215
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 851 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by rickdugan View Post
    To be clear, I'm not here to argue the pros and cons of abortion, just to discuss the Court's thinking as I understand it.

    Tbh the precedent has always had very shaky legs from a Constitutional standpoint. In order to make it work, the Court first had to infer a right to privacy that never existed in the Constitution and then engage in creative mental gymnastics to shoehorn abortion in as a privacy issue. At the time it was a very liberal court with Justices prone to rather broad interpretations, this probably being one of their broadest. It was probably inevitable that the pendulum would swing and that, eventually, the precedent would be overturned once the Court had more Constitutional texualists in its ranks.

    But as far as fascism, let's tone it down. Fascists take power, they don't give it away to others (in this case the states). Like it or not, this court is doing here what it has done in several other cases, which is to keep the federal government in check. It just so happens that many aren't happy with this particular limit on federal authority.

    And with that I am going to unsubscribe. I came on here just to discuss the process and this is everything I have on that topic. I understand that there are going to be a lot of strong feelings on the potential impacts of this so I will get out of the way and wish all well.
    Hmmmm. Not quite. Almost everyone agrees that there IS a "right to privacy". The issue is whether it includes a right to get an abortion that trumps the rights of the unborn potential life and the state's interest in protecting same. While the word "privacy " is not used it is essential to and inherent in the First, Fourth, Fifth , Eighth , Ninth and arguably the Tenth Amendments as well as the Fourteenth. Loving v. Virginia will remain in full force and effect regardless of whether or not the SCOTUS overturns Roe. So will Griswold v. Connecticut despite the hysterical ravings of Eric Swalwell. It will have zero effect on gay rights or Brown vs. Board of Ed. despite Joy Behar's handwringing and mythmaking.

    Personally, I don't think the Court should completely overrule Roe. For one thing they can easily uphold the Mississippi law without overturning Roe. But if they do the issue will go back to the states and be decided by ELECTED representatives. The same people who decide whether or not to have a death penalty ; or legal pot ; or what the driving age should be. There is an argument that we could have and should have avoided a LOT of the rancor and a lot of litigation if the SCOTUS had left abortion to the states in the first place. At the time Roe was decided most states had either legalized abortion or were considering doing so. No less an authority than Ruth Bader Ginsberg said that it would have been better if The Court had left the issue to the elected state legislatures instead of legislating itself. If you actually READ the Roe vs. Wade decision it is a classic case of legislating from the bench and usurpation of state authority.
    Last edited by Eric Stoner; 05-04-2022 at 10:22 AM.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

  31. #19
    God/dess Eric Stoner's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,065
    Thanks
    1,215
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 851 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    Are you kidding?! The real outrage is that one of our political parties, as well as the majority of Supreme Court justices, have a complete disregard for the Constitution, the rule of law, the will of the American people, as well as the health and lives of young women. Five of the six conservative members of the Supreme Court were appointed by presidents who lost the popular vote. At least three were confirmed by senators representing less than half of the American people. We now have a party that represents a minority of Americans, consisting mostly of old, white Christians, imposing their backward, ignorant religious beliefs on the rest of America.
    No I am NOT kidding . The leaker had no right to disclose a First Draft opinion on a PENDING case not officially decided yet. It was clearly a power play designed to influence the Court's decision. Within an hour or so after its publication there were Pro-Choice demonstrators with pre-printed signs in front of the 'Supreme Court. Clearly there was coordination between the leaker and those demonstrators.

    Regardless of the issue , the ends do not justify the means. According to the Justices themselves , former law clerks and every law professor I can think of, trust and confidentiality are essential to the proper functioning of the SCOTUS. What the leaker did was both unethical and illegal under Federal law. It constitutes obstruction of justice, deliberate mishandling of government documents and conversion of public documents to private use. The FIRST thing new law clerks at the Supreme Court are told is that they have a duty to preserve and protect confidentiality on ALL cases before the Court and that violating their public trust will result in their firing and disbarment. There are NO exceptions. The leaker has damaged the Supreme Court in general and their fellow clerks in particular. How can they be trusted now ? That's assuming it was a clerk and not one of the justices. That would truly be a disaster and would be almost irreparable.
    Last edited by Eric Stoner; 05-04-2022 at 10:27 AM.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

  32. #20
    God/dess Eric Stoner's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,065
    Thanks
    1,215
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 851 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by DeathAndTaxes View Post
    It was believed, not too recently, that it would have been impossible for the court to overturn precedent, but here we are.

    Extremists will push it, and Democrats keep laying down and taking it. Name a more iconic duo for full fledged fascism.
    Says who ? Precedent is entitled to respect and should not be overturned lightly. However we should all be glad that Plessy v. Ferguson was overturned by Brown vs. Board of Education. If Roe is overturned it will not be the first time the SCOTUS has overturned a previous case.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

  33. #21
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    485
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 428 Times in 238 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    Says who ? Precedent is entitled to respect and should not be overturned lightly. However we should all be glad that Plessy v. Ferguson was overturned by Brown vs. Board of Education. If Roe is overturned it will not be the first time the SCOTUS has overturned a previous case.
    No, Plessy v Ferguson clearly stated that

    In 1896, the Supreme Court ruled in Plessy v. Ferguson that racially segregated public facilities were legal, so long as the facilities for Black people and whites were equal.


    While Brown vs Board of Education

    In the decision, issued on May 17, 1954, Warren wrote that “in the field of public education the doctrine of ‘separate but equal’ has no place,” as segregated schools are “inherently unequal.” As a result, the Court ruled that the plaintiffs were being “deprived of the equal protection of the laws guaranteed by the 14th Amendment.”


    So they did not overturn settled rulings.

    https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/brown-v-board-of-education-of-topeka

  34. #22
    God/dess Eric Stoner's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,065
    Thanks
    1,215
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 851 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by DeathAndTaxes View Post
    No, Plessy v Ferguson clearly stated that

    [/FONT][/COLOR]

    While Brown vs Board of Education



    So they did not overturn settled rulings.

    [/FONT][/COLOR]https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/brown-v-board-of-education-of-topeka
    WHAT ????

    That is a unique reading of Brown vs. Board that I have NEVER heard from anyone else. Brown specifically said
    ( and YOU quoted ) : " in the field of public education the doctrine of separate but equal has no place ". It was followed by a line of cases that invalidated segregation in all sorts of places and contexts. Prior to Brown, the Court went after places like law schools that did not admit blacks when the state in question ( Missouri ) did not have a law school for blacks. They enforced equality when it was shown that facilities were NOT equal. Brown said for the first time since 1896 that the whole doctrine was invalid. Not just that educational facilities were glaringly unequal.
    Last edited by Eric Stoner; 05-04-2022 at 11:27 AM.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

  35. #23
    God/dess Sam38g's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    4,907
    Thanks
    6,122
    Thanked 26,013 Times in 4,378 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    It's not a final opinion. Most observers expected a trimming of Roe v. Wade without a total overturning. If it is the final decision then abortion will once again be a State not Federal issue. Some states will be more restrictive. Some will ban abortion outright. Some will expand abortion rights beyond Roe i.e. any abortion , any time for any reason. Groups like PP will probably organize trips from states that ban or restrict to those with greater availability. It will not be the end of the world but it will be different. If, as the polls say, most Americans want to retain Roe in whole or in part then abortion will remain a hot button issue at the state level.

    The real outrage is with whoever leaked the draft opinion. He or she should be ferreted out , fired and disbarred. They already have a few prime suspects.
    So your main worry is about a leak and NOT all the lives of women killed by their domestic partner which greatly goes up when she is pregnant? In fact, this leak shows that there is a major problem that all the Supreme court is working on SHOULD BE PUBLIC. In order to prevent hidden agendas which 80 percent of Americans are against an abortion ban. This is empowering the SC to create laws NOT interpret them.

    No one was killed or murdered in leaking that document, but that is a way worse crime than destroying millions of women's lives. In Texas, a woman can be convicted of murder & put in prison for having a miscarriage. Which is why Roe vs Wade needs to be upheld all across this country & just not in a few states.

    You leave out how minors who can't cross state lines will be forced to carry their rapist baby.
    Video blogs on Camming industry & how to succeed at camming.

    Personality is the glitter that sends your little gleam across the footlights and the orchestra pit into that big black space where the audience is. Mae West

  36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sam38g For This Useful Post:


  37. #24
    God/dess Sam38g's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    4,907
    Thanks
    6,122
    Thanked 26,013 Times in 4,378 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    Says who ? Precedent is entitled to respect and should not be overturned lightly. However we should all be glad that Plessy v. Ferguson was overturned by Brown vs. Board of Education. If Roe is overturned it will not be the first time the SCOTUS has overturned a previous case.
    Shows what men do in secret is pure evil.
    Video blogs on Camming industry & how to succeed at camming.

    Personality is the glitter that sends your little gleam across the footlights and the orchestra pit into that big black space where the audience is. Mae West

  38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sam38g For This Useful Post:


  39. #25
    God/dess
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,756
    Thanks
    5,935
    Thanked 9,838 Times in 4,460 Posts

    Default Re: SCOTUS Overturning Roe v. Wade

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    Hmmmm. Not quite. Almost everyone agrees that there IS a "right to privacy". The issue is whether it includes a right to get an abortion that trumps the rights of the unborn potential life and the state's interest in protecting same. While the word "privacy " is not used it is essential to and inherent in the First, Fourth, Fifth , Eighth , Ninth and arguably the Tenth Amendments as well as the Fourteenth. Loving v. Virginia will remain in full force and effect regardless of whether or not the SCOTUS overturns Roe. So will Griswold v. Connecticut despite the hysterical ravings of Eric Swalwell. It will have zero effect on gay rights or Brown vs. Board of Ed. despite Joy Behar's handwringing and mythmaking.
    There is no right of the unborn potential life. There were never any rights for fetuses written into the Constitution. The writers of the Constitution did not consider a fetus to be a person. Abortions were legal in every one of the original states. The only reason why abortions were made illegal was because at the time, abortions were not safe. It wasn't until fairly recently that religious conservatives began advocating that unborn fetuses should have more rights than the women carrying them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    Personally, I don't think the Court should completely overrule Roe. For one thing they can easily uphold the Mississippi law without overturning Roe. But if they do the issue will go back to the states and be decided by ELECTED representatives. The same people who decide whether or not to have a death penalty ; or legal pot ; or what the driving age should be. There is an argument that we could have and should have avoided a LOT of the rancor and a lot of litigation if the SCOTUS had left abortion to the states in the first place. At the time Roe was decided most states had either legalized abortion or were considering doing so. No less an authority than Ruth Bader Ginsberg said that it would have been better if The Court had left the issue to the elected state legislatures instead of legislating itself. If you actually READ the Roe vs. Wade decision it is a classic case of legislating from the bench and usurpation of state authority.
    Individual rights should not be decided by ELECTED representatives. It should be decided by the individuals themselves. State legislatures should not have control over women's bodies. If you actually READ the Roe vs. Wade decision, it clearly documents how unborn fetuses were never given personhood. Even today, there is practically unanimous agreement that an unborn fetus is not legally considered a person. A pregnant woman cannot declare an unborn fetus as a dependent on her tax forms. When the census is taken, unborn fetuses are not considered a person. It is only in the case of abortion, where religious conservatives believe unborn fetuses should have full legal rights. The entire basis of this belief is not about concern for the unborn fetus. It's their belief that their god does not approve of abortions. Many of these same people have little regard for life inside or outside the womb in every other situation. They consistently oppose funding for nutrition, healthcare and housing for poor pregnant women and poor mothers. Mississippi, the state that is currently going to court to overturn 'Roe vs. Wade' has the highest infant mortality rate in the country.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2016, 05:40 AM
  2. Constitutional connection of Roe V. Wade?
    By discretedancer in forum Political Poo
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 02:25 PM
  3. Roe v. Wade
    By SexyShannon in forum Political Poo
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 12:29 PM
  4. Replies: 142
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 02:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •