Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Prices for Basic Goods

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts

Default Re: Crazy Prices for Basic Goods

Almost half of U.S. food banks are reporting an increase in people using their pantries. 200 food banks were surveyed by Feeding America and 45% reported more people asking for service. While it has declined recently gasoline is still up 60% over last year. Cereal costs 15% more .Meat and poultry are up 10.4%. Fruits and veggies are up 8.1% all according to the BLS. Both the food banks and recipients surveyed reported a dramatic increase in the number of working people seeking assistance. All report being squeezed between higher energy costs and higher prices for basic foods. The overall inflation rate increased 9.1% in June.
    Last edited by Eric Stoner; 08-03-2022 at 09:41 AM.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lynn2009 View Post
    Same in my area, but it seems to be equally diluted with ethanol so it doesn't last very long. I barely drive and am still needing to get gas at least every two weeks lately.
    I'm glad you mentioned this...I thought it was just me

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WonderWoman0642 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 3,084 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

You can get ethanolfree at Murphys.
    Last edited by slowpoke; 08-03-2022 at 06:28 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 2,584 Posts

Try dollar general. Yes I saw the price of TP and said NOPE. ALDI is the best for food-and also don’t fund anti-choice politicians. Dollar General is also good-does not fund anti-choice politicians.

I will say in my quest to boycott corporations that support forced birth I found they donate 50% to republicans and 50% to democrats. They all work for the corporations anyways.

People blame Biden and while he may be partly to blame a lot of it is just plain old greedy corporations.

Yeah I think I saw 4 pack at a local grocery store was $10 and I put it back and went to dollar general instead.

I’m boycotting corporations and only buying what I need if we all did that we could teach the corporations a lesson. We’re gonna have to figure out a way collectively to work together to get the elites to understand they NEED us not the other way around. As long as we’re fighting over culture wars we can’t work together to get the powers that be to work for us instead of the other way around. We globally need to work together to get these billionaires out of power. We can do it! Maybe not in my lifetime, but eventually it’ll happen when people understand that the democrats and republicans are controlled by the billionaires and if we put our differences aside we can fight together. Power to the people. There’s strength in Unity.
    Focus more on what you want than on what you don’t want

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,409 Times in 12,224 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

I use digital coupons (I hate having a bunch of papers) AND I shop online using cash back sites.

I also use discount gift cards when I eat out.

Gas = get a Costco or sams club membership and you will find the cheapest gas in the city. No gas station is able to beat their prices. It’s worth the membership just to get the cheap gas.

I loathe paying full price for ANYTHING.

Also, I find adding meat to my grocery list is what makes the bill expensive so a tip i stumbled upon is going to a Super Target for cheap meat. Or going to the grocery store at the end of the night and you will find meat deeply discounted.

Also if you go to the movies have your wife or gf bring a large tote and stuff your blankets, snacks, and drinks inside so you can skip the high priced concession stand. Just don’t be obvious and no one will say anything to you.
    “Cook for him like a housewife, fuck him good like a nympho….pay the rent and the car note, he invests in me like crypto”

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 25,556 Times in 13,059 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Ok, for anyone who cares, Aldi's has tp, 24 rolls for 19.00

Also, I get the 4 rolls, 3.99 for myself.
    They've a lot of other deals, 2 pr women's leggings, 8.99, I got a 6 Pk of cotton bikini undies for 4.99!

& lots of household, gardening, other stuff, a folding storage ottoman (I also got a mini dehumidifier too)
    Last edited by whirlerz; 08-04-2022 at 06:49 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moneybags View Post
    Try dollar general. Yes I saw the price of TP and said NOPE. ALDI is the best for food-and also don’t fund anti-choice politicians. Dollar General is also good-does not fund anti-choice politicians.

I will say in my quest to boycott corporations that support forced birth I found they donate 50% to republicans and 50% to democrats. They all work for the corporations anyways.

People blame Biden and while he may be partly to blame a lot of it is just plain old greedy corporations.

Yeah I think I saw 4 pack at a local grocery store was $10 and I put it back and went to dollar general instead.

I’m boycotting corporations and only buying what I need if we all did that we could teach the corporations a lesson. We’re gonna have to figure out a way collectively to work together to get the elites to understand they NEED us not the other way around. As long as we’re fighting over culture wars we can’t work together to get the powers that be to work for us instead of the other way around. We globally need to work together to get these billionaires out of power. We can do it! Maybe not in my lifetime, but eventually it’ll happen when people understand that the democrats and republicans are controlled by the billionaires and if we put our differences aside we can fight together. Power to the people. There’s strength in Unity.
    I will take a dive on the more political aspects but just how did all those greedy, evil corporations determine Fed policy ? Or pass all the Federal government spending bills ? Or decide to limit domestic energy production ? Or not open more nuclear power plants and close existing ones ? Or decide to give government checks to people to stay home ?

Those evil, greedy corporations have a fiduciary duty to make money . To create ROI for their shareholders . If the prices of their inputs ( raw materials , energy , taxes and regulatory compliance, labor etc. ) go up what choice do they have except to raise prices ?

Currently ( and especially in the tech sector ) corporations are trying for greater productivity. Zuckerberg recently read his employees the Riot Act telling them to put down their ping pong paddles and get back to work. Many tech companies are already laying off a lot of workers with more to come.

New claims for Unemployment just jumped up 6,000 week to week.
    Last edited by Eric Stoner; 08-04-2022 at 09:42 AM.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Someone please tell me why Starbucks is charging $1 for a fucking sliver of cream cheese.

Bitch don’t make me bring my own tub of cream cheese (that I can get for that same $1) in my purse.
    “Cook for him like a housewife, fuck him good like a nympho….pay the rent and the car note, he invests in me like crypto”

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Aggressive

SB's known to charge for every extra..

I forgot about the $ store, I don't care for the quality of the tp, I know it's cheap, (I sometimes buy it for the roomies) but Aldi's 1.24 for the 24 roll Pk, I buy the 4pk @ 3.99

They now charge 1.25, lots of stuff is higher, but still some decent dealsIMG_20220805_073936.jpg 5.00 for this ^

17. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 898 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post
    Someone please tell me why Starbucks is charging $1 for a fucking sliver of cream cheese.

Bitch don’t make me bring my own tub of cream cheese (that I can get for that same $1) in my purse.
    How much did 4-bucks pay the person behind the counter? How much did they pay for rent? How much for advertising? How much for ...? It's not just the variable cost of any one item for sale, but the cost of the store, the supply chain, labor, capital and overhead. Pricing is never an easy task. In my business we have products that we sell at a loss because we would sell none of them if we priced them even at cost. But, those products do open the door to other more profitable sales. Likewise, we have products and services that we sell at a larger profit. In the end, the company usually runs about a 10-15% profit margin. We will struggle to make a 10% this year though.

Back to 4-bucks, in 2021 their profit margin, was 14.45%. Their most recent quarter, was 11.2%. Nothing crazy about those numbers.

HTH
    Z

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,976 Times in 4,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    I will take a dive on the more political aspects but just how did all those greedy, evil corporations determine Fed policy ? Or pass all the Federal government spending bills ? Or decide to limit domestic energy production ? Or not open more nuclear power plants and close existing ones ? Or decide to give government checks to people to stay home ?

Those evil, greedy corporations have a fiduciary duty to make money . To create ROI for their shareholders . If the prices of their inputs ( raw materials , energy , taxes and regulatory compliance, labor etc. ) go up what choice do they have except to raise prices ?

Currently ( and especially in the tech sector ) corporations are trying for greater productivity. Zuckerberg recently read his employees the Riot Act telling them to put down their ping pong paddles and get back to work. Many tech companies are already laying off a lot of workers with more to come.

New claims for Unemployment just jumped up 6,000 week to week.
    You're making stuff up again. Multiple times I've posted a survey given to oil executives, asking why they haven't done more to increase domestic oil output. None of them gave government policies as the reason. Also, besides being wrong, your comment about paying people to stay home and unemployment claims increasing, contradict each other. Either there aren't enough workers, because govt is paying people to stay home, or there are too many workers and businesses are laying people off. You can't have both. The latest jobs report showing over 1/2 million jobs added in July, contradicts both of your claims. People are going back to work and businesses are hiring a lot more people than they're laying off.
    Last edited by eagle2; 08-06-2022 at 01:33 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 2,584 Posts

i need to start being more frugal. I’ve gotten spoiled as a dancer thinking I can always make more money.

I think we need a thread dedicated to being frugal to get through this. Honestly, I’m not even mad guys get the cheap $25 dances because I know everything is so expensive! I’m honestly just happy people are coming to the club and spending. Some guys are cheap assholes, but I don’t make them feel bad for being cheap as long as their tipping on stage and not wasting my time or being rude.
    Focus more on what you want than on what you don’t want

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,448 Times in 2,697 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    Multiple times I've posted a survey given to oil executives, asking why they haven't done more to increase domestic oil output. None of them gave government policies as the reason.
    Of course they didn't. They all have drilling and pipeline permit applications in the pipeline. The last thing they want to do is further antagonize the people who are already fucking them.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,817 Times in 3,693 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moneybags View Post
    i need to start being more frugal. I’ve gotten spoiled as a dancer thinking I can always make more money.

I think we need a thread dedicated to being frugal to get through this. Honestly, I’m not even mad guys get the cheap $25 dances because I know everything is so expensive! I’m honestly just happy people are coming to the club and spending. Some guys are cheap assholes, but I don’t make them feel bad for being cheap as long as their tipping on stage and not wasting my time or being rude.

I think we already had one at least for beauty type products, in Dollar Den.

I do NOT envy the girls working the club. Mine got rid of floor dances, the cheapest option is 2-for-$60 now. That's gotta be a tough sell given the state of inflation.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You're making stuff up again. Multiple times I've posted a survey given to oil executives, asking why they haven't done more to increase domestic oil output. None of them gave government policies as the reason. Also, besides being wrong, your comment about paying people to stay home and unemployment claims increasing, contradict each other. Either there aren't enough workers, because govt is paying people to stay home, or there are too many workers and businesses are laying people off. You can't have both. The latest jobs report showing over 1/2 million jobs added in July, contradicts both of your claims. People are going back to work and businesses are hiring a lot more people than they're laying off.
    You posted one ( 1 ) survey of a few unidentified oil executives that flies in the face of what every other oil industry professional is saying. I have repeatedly posted the actual U.S. domestic oil production numbers showing we are producing less NOW than we did under Trump.

As to the job numbers I have to do a mini quasi sort of mea culpa for lack of clarity. I repeated Peter Schiff's claim that we are 3 million jobs short of where we were in February , 2020. At present that APPEARS to be outdated and wrong. However there is no doubt that the number is actually at least 1.5 to 2 million. I spent the weekend diving into the BLS , St. Louis Fed, Richmond Fed and U.S. Chamber of Commerce numbers on job creation and unemployment. To say they are confusing , inconsistent and counter intuitive would be an understatement. As Rick and I have said we are in strange times. We have high inflation , negative growth and INCREASING employment. Or do we ? The following are ALL numbers from the BLS. If you or anyone else has a problem with them please send the BLS a strong letter. There are professionals on Wall Street and in and out of government who are scratching their heads trying to make sense of numbers that simply do NOT add up. As the King of Siam said : " Is a puzzlement".

Leisure and hospitality employment showed the largest increase in the latest BLS job report. More than half of the new jobs created were in leisure , hospitality and health care. Many are low paying jobs and many are PART-Time. More about that infra.

In March 2022, 132,718,000 Americans were employed FULL-Time. The latest jobs report had it at 132,577,000.

The "official " unemployment rate is 3.5%. But if you add up all the people who want a job but gave up looking ( and now do NOT get counted as unemployed ) all the part time workers who want a full time job and those not employed whose unemployment benefits have run out the real unemployment rate is 6.7%. The BLS always puts this column at the very bottom of its unemployment numbers. It is known as "U-6".

The latest unemployment rate measures ONLY those actually looking for work. The latest jobs report was based on the PAYROLL survey. According to which we added some 500,000 jobs. However according to the Household Survey there were FEWER small business and self employment jobs as I posted previously. As I posted supra the 3 million jobs number may be out of date. It has been overtaken by recent gains in employment to an estimated 1.5 million to 2 million jobs comparing February, 2020 to July, 2022 . The jobs deficit is an ESTIMATE based on an increase in population and a LOWER Labor Participation Rate between February,2020 and July, 2022.

According to the Household Survey if you work as little as one ( 1 ) hour per week you are counted as "employed". If you work 3 part time jobs at 12 hours each you are counted as a full time employee. In the Payroll Survey those 3 part time jobs are counted as 3 separate jobs. Likewise , the Payroll Survey does double count SS#'s. So if the same person is working two jobs ( as many today are to try and make ends meet ) they are counted as two workers. If they work three jobs then they are counted three times. If they work on a payroll for a salary and work a side gig they might be counted twice as being "employed". On both the Payroll and the Household surveys.

The numbers for total employment for the last five months are :

March -158,458,000
    April- 158 ,105,000
    May - 158,426,000
    June - 158, 111,000
    July- 158,290,000

Huh ? WHAT ? If we added 386,000 new jobs in May and 398,000 new jobs in June and another 500,000 + in July then WHERE is the increase in total number of people employed ?
    In 2020 we had 128 million people of prime working age i.e. 25-54. According to the St. Louis Fed in July , 2022 88.4% of prime working age MEN were employed . In February , 2020 it was 89.2%.

In 2020 we had a total population of 329 million. Today it is 332,403,650 according to the latest Census ESTIMATE. That includes net births over deaths and immigrants for an increase of about 3 million. So we ought to see roughly half employed or 1.5 million. That means AT LEAST another 1.5 million new workers and more likely 1.8 million using the current 60% employment to population ratio.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce did their own employment survey and crunched the BLS numbers. Add in similar studies by the St. Louis and Richmond Feds and there is an argument that we indeed have 3 million fewer people employed than in February, 2020. Or more precisely that we OUGHT to have 3 million more jobs now than we in fact do. In July, 2022 the employment to population ratio was 60% i.e. 3/5's of all Americans were employed. In February . 2020 it was 61.2 % . In December 2019 we had a Labor Participation Rate of 63.2%. In February, 2020 it had gone up to 63.4%. The total number of Americans employed in December , 2019 was 158.6 million. In July, 2022 it was 158,290,000 million. That number was 180,000 higher than June, 2022. According to the BLS a total of 165.7 million Americans worked in 2020. That was a drop in full time employment from 70.2% in 2019 to 63.1% in 2020. Obviously thanks to Covid. Now according to Statista ( relying on the BLS , U.S. C of C and Fed numbers ) full time employees peaked at 130.6 million in 2019. Then dropped to 123.19 million in 2020 and then rose to 127.16 million in 2021. As of July it was 132,718,000. But the same BLS and Census bureau says we have a total population of over 332 million and a labor ration of 60 %. That means that if 60 % of Americans are working then we would have total jobs of just under 200 million. Some 198 million to be more exact and NOBODY has anything close to that number .

So what does all this numerical and statistical salad mean in the final analysis ? I THINK the most accurate and data supported thing to say is that if the trends of late 2019 and early 2020 had continued we would have at least 3 million more jobs than we do now.
    Last edited by Eric Stoner; 08-08-2022 at 09:00 AM.
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Wow, THAT'S CHEAP, for gas, Pokes^!

The 'Texan', lol.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    Wow, THAT'S CHEAP, for gas, Pokes^!

The 'Texan', lol.
    Kind of news here. It is about 20 miles away.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickdugan View Post
    Of course they didn't. They all have drilling and pipeline permit applications in the pipeline. The last thing they want to do is further antagonize the people who are already fucking them.
    You just made that up. You can't bring yourself to accept that the problem is in the private sector and not with the government. Approximately 74% of oil drilling in the US is done on private land and doesn't even need permits from the government.

God/dess
    Thanks

You posted one ( 1 ) survey of a few unidentified oil executives that flies in the face of what every other oil industry professional is saying. I have repeatedly posted the actual U.S. domestic oil production numbers showing we are producing less NOW than we did under Trump.
    You're back to repeating this lie. When Trump left office, we were producing 11 million bpd. We're now at 12 million.

None of the "experts" you've quoted, are the ones making decisions about how much oil, oil companies produce. The executives in the survey do.

The "official " unemployment rate is 3.5%. But if you add up all the people who want a job but gave up looking ( and now do NOT get counted as unemployed ) all the part time workers who want a full time job and those not employed whose unemployment benefits have run out the real unemployment rate is 6.7%. The BLS always puts this column at the very bottom of its unemployment numbers. It is known as "U-6".
    and the U-6 unemployment rate in Jan. 2020 was 6.9%.

https://www.macrotrends.net/1377/u6-unemployment-rate

So what does all this numerical and statistical salad mean in the final analysis ? I THINK the most accurate and data supported thing to say is that if the trends of late 2019 and early 2020 had continued we would have at least 3 million more jobs than we do now.
    You're just making stuff up and pulling numbers out of thin air, to try and make this Administration look bad. If we had 3 million more jobs than we have now, the unemployment rate would be below 2%. I don't think the unemployment rate has ever been below 2%, except during World War 2. You're never going to acknowledge anything positive about the economy as long as President Biden is in office.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    SB's known to charge for every extra..

I forgot about the $ store, I don't care for the quality of the tp, I know it's cheap, (I sometimes buy it for the roomies) but Aldi's 1.24 for the 24 roll Pk, I buy the 4pk @ 3.99

They now charge 1.25, lots of stuff is higher, but still some decent dealsIMG_20220805_073936.jpg 5.00 for this ^
    When you ordered a bagel the butter and used to be the cream cheese were free and only the guacamole spread was extra.

You’re right - Starbucks will start charging for things that used to be free and reducing their member rewards after they start getting hard up

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by Zofia View Post
    How much did 4-bucks pay the person behind the counter? How much did they pay for rent? How much for advertising? How much for ...? It's not just the variable cost of any one item for sale, but the cost of the store, the supply chain, labor, capital and overhead. Pricing is never an easy task. In my business we have products that we sell at a loss because we would sell none of them if we priced them even at cost. But, those products do open the door to other more profitable sales. Likewise, we have products and services that we sell at a larger profit. In the end, the company usually runs about a 10-15% profit margin. We will struggle to make a 10% this year though.

Back to 4-bucks, in 2021 their profit margin, was 14.45%. Their most recent quarter, was 11.2%. Nothing crazy about those numbers.

HTH
    Z
    I see your point and I get these companies are paying overhead that inflates the cost of their goods and services.

However, they waste money on many facets of overhead.

I wonder what part of that 14% is the CEOs multimillion dollar salary

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 898 Posts

I wonder what part of that 14% is the CEOs multimillion dollar salary
    As a business owner, I don't take a salary. It's all dividends for me. But, as an investor, I know that CEO salaries are a necessity. The market sets the salary. Some boards do overpay. And the results show it. Chrysler way overpaid for a CEO before the Daimler merger. They lost big money and were forced to seek Daimler's help. Daimler found out just how badly run Chrysler was and they spun them off. Now, FIAT is stuck with Chrysler, mainly they wanted Ram trucks and Jeeps and the dealer network. Not sure just how well that deal is working for FIAT. So, overpaying for a poor performing CEO can cost money and it can cost money a long time after they are gone.

All that written, most CEOs salaries are fairly well set based on performance and size of the company. Further, the CEO salary is also a drop in the bucket, so to speak, of the overall expense side of the company.

Further, I know there are wastes within overhead. For example, some people criticize my company for having an airplane that flies no more than once a week on business trips, but flies me on a very regular basis from the airport nearest my beach house and Raleigh. At a little over a $1,000/hour operating cost and the cost of a professional pilot (roughly $90,000 per year counting training and benefits) it looks like an extravagance. That said, it turns a three hour drive each way into a thirty minute flight. So is the $300,000 a year spent on operating cost and pilot expenses plus the capital cost of the airplane a waste? Not to me, and it does come out of my dividend. So yeah, maybe chartering is a better use of money, or just flying first class everywhere. But, there are no first class plane tickets to and from my beach house.

XOXO
    Z

P.S. love your quote at the bottom of your post. ;-)

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You're back to repeating this lie. When Trump left office, we were producing 11 million bpd. We're now at 12 million.

None of the "experts" you've quoted, are the ones making decisions about how much oil, oil companies produce. The executives in the survey do.

and the U-6 unemployment rate in Jan. 2020 was 6.9%.

https://www.macrotrends.net/1377/u6-unemployment-rate

You're just making stuff up and pulling numbers out of thin air, to try and make this Administration look bad. If we had 3 million more jobs than we have now, the unemployment rate would be below 2%. I don't think the unemployment rate has ever been below 2%, except during World War 2. You're never going to acknowledge anything positive about the economy as long as President Biden is in office.
    And you , as usual, refuse to look at PEAK oil production under Trump when it was just under 13 million barrels per day. You only look at what production was when he left office when we still had a lot of shutdowns thanks to Covid. If you bothered LISTENING to people in the oil biz and government officials in states dependent on oil production then you would see the negative effects of policies from What's His Name.

Likewise I have to sound like a broken record and ask : "Did you READ your own link ? " Nothing from macrotrends contradicts what I posted. In December ,2019 U-6 was 6.8 % ; U-5 was 4.3 % and the "official " number was 3.6 %. In February ,2020 the numbers were 7.00 % , 4.3% and 3.5%. The latest July, 2022 numbers are 6.7% , 4.4% and 3.5%.
    According to you this proves WHAT ? I posted the numbers that I did simply to show that "unemployment" means different things and is measured in different ways by the BLS. I am used to your standard stock of responses every time I post numbers that you don't like. They get you upset because they make What's His Name look bad ? I did not "make up" a single number. Go look them up yourself and then tell us how to make sense out of numbers that just don't add up.

I am not going to rehash my entire post and risk boring everyone by repeating the same talking points . As you are so fond of doing. I will point out that the "unemployment " numbers measure PEOPLE. Every single individual who files for and collects unemployment can be counted in the Payroll Survey. They don't of course count every single nose. They do a survey of major employers and then issue a seasonally adjusted ESTIMATE based on their survey. In contrast the "employment" numbers measure jobs. It too is an estimate based on the Payroll Survey. It gets adjusted and revised months after its initial release. Up and /or down depending. And we are seeing more and more people take second and even third jobs to try and afford the higher prices for energy, food and rent. Now let me think . Who has been in charge since January, 2021 ?

Btw , your math is way off. With a working age population of roughly 200 million just how would adding 3 million jobs reduce unemployment to 2 %. The answer is it wouldn't because even if Schiff et. al. were correct and the trends of late 2019 and early 2020 had continued we would have some 3 million more jobs NOW than we had THEN. Not 3 million more jobs than we have NOW. At the present time, August 9 , 2022 ( did you get the calendar I sent you lol ? Please use it ! ) we are short at most 1.5 million to 2 million jobs comparing NOW to February , 2020. I explained this in tedious detail in my previous post. Since you don't like the numbers please write to and tell the BLS that their numbers are off base and please post a copy. We'd all love to read it. Likewise, if you have better numbers for an estimate of what employment and unemployment would be now if the growth seen in February , 2020 had continued then please post it. Obviously it would have to assume there were no Covid shutdowns.

As Rick and I have posted and notice of which forms the backbone of THIS thread, we have high inflation and negative economic growth. Leaving aside that employment is the last thing to be affected by a recession the fact remains that we have seen increasing positive employment numbers. How and why is explained by: 1. businesses coming out of the Covid shutdowns and rehiring workers , 2. an existing labor shortage , 3. increasing numbers of people working two and even three jobs. 4. increasing numbers of retirees coming back into the labor force ( mostly part-time) and a continuing bloating of the Federal budget and Federal Reserve balance sheet.

As I have repeatedly posted, all is not total doom and gloom. While slowing , consumer spending is still relatively strong. More troubling is the slowing of business investment and start-ups. But overall corporate profits are still relatively strong. For now.
    Last edited by Eric Stoner; 08-09-2022 at 11:09 AM.
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

God/dess
    Thanks

Btw , your math is way off. With a working age population of roughly 200 million just how would adding 3 million jobs reduce unemployment to 2 %. The answer is it wouldn't because even if Schiff et. al. were correct and the trends of late 2019 and early 2020 had continued we would have some 3 million more jobs NOW than we had THEN. Not 3 million more jobs than we have NOW. At the present time, August 9 , 2022 ( did you get the calendar I sent you lol ? Please use it ! ) we are short at most 1.5 million to 2 million jobs comparing NOW to February , 2020. I explained this in tedious detail in my previous post. Since you don't like the numbers please write to and tell the BLS that their numbers are off base and please post a copy. We'd all love to read it. Likewise, if you have better numbers for an estimate of what employment and unemployment would be now if the growth seen in February , 2020 had continued then please post it. Obviously it would have to assume there were no Covid shutdowns.
    The labor force is currently 164 million, so the unemployment rate would be slightly above 2%.

You said 3 million more jobs than we have NOW.

Again, there are more people working now, than there were in Feb. 2020.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/u...35-2022-08-05/

The labor market has now recouped all the jobs lost during the COVID-19 pandemic, though government employment remains about 597,000 jobs in the hole. Overall employment is now 32,000 jobs higher than in February 2020.
    Last edited by eagle2; 08-09-2022 at 07:13 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast