Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Prices for Basic Goods

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 888 Posts

Default Re: Crazy Prices for Basic Goods

Almost half of U.S. food banks are reporting an increase in people using their pantries. 200 food banks were surveyed by Feeding America and 45% reported more people asking for service. While it has declined recently gasoline is still up 60% over last year. Cereal costs 15% more .Meat and poultry are up 10.4%. Fruits and veggies are up 8.1% all according to the BLS. Both the food banks and recipients surveyed reported a dramatic increase in the number of working people seeking assistance. All report being squeezed between higher energy costs and higher prices for basic foods. The overall inflation rate increased 9.1% in June.
    Last edited by Eric Stoner; 08-03-2022 at 09:41 AM.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lynn2009 View Post
    Same in my area, but it seems to be equally diluted with ethanol so it doesn't last very long. I barely drive and am still needing to get gas at least every two weeks lately.
    I'm glad you mentioned this...I thought it was just me

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WonderWoman0642 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,520 Times in 3,100 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

You can get ethanolfree at Murphys.
    Last edited by slowpoke; 08-03-2022 at 06:28 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,925 Times in 12,455 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

I use digital coupons (I hate having a bunch of papers) AND I shop online using cash back sites.

I also use discount gift cards when I eat out.

Gas = get a Costco or sams club membership and you will find the cheapest gas in the city. No gas station is able to beat their prices. It’s worth the membership just to get the cheap gas.

I loathe paying full price for ANYTHING.

Also, I find adding meat to my grocery list is what makes the bill expensive so a tip i stumbled upon is going to a Super Target for cheap meat. Or going to the grocery store at the end of the night and you will find meat deeply discounted.

Also if you go to the movies have your wife or gf bring a large tote and stuff your blankets, snacks, and drinks inside so you can skip the high priced concession stand. Just don’t be obvious and no one will say anything to you.
    “Cook for him like a housewife, fuck him good like a nympho….pay the rent and the car note, he invests in me like crypto”

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 25,806 Times in 13,174 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Ok, for anyone who cares, Aldi's has tp, 24 rolls for 19.00

Also, I get the 4 rolls, 3.99 for myself.
    They've a lot of other deals, 2 pr women's leggings, 8.99, I got a 6 Pk of cotton bikini undies for 4.99!

& lots of household, gardening, other stuff, a folding storage ottoman (I also got a mini dehumidifier too)
    Last edited by whirlerz; 08-04-2022 at 06:49 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Someone please tell me why Starbucks is charging $1 for a fucking sliver of cream cheese.

Bitch don’t make me bring my own tub of cream cheese (that I can get for that same $1) in my purse.
    “Cook for him like a housewife, fuck him good like a nympho….pay the rent and the car note, he invests in me like crypto”

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Aggressive

SB's known to charge for every extra..

I forgot about the $ store, I don't care for the quality of the tp, I know it's cheap, (I sometimes buy it for the roomies) but Aldi's 1.24 for the 24 roll Pk, I buy the 4pk @ 3.99

They now charge 1.25, lots of stuff is higher, but still some decent dealsIMG_20220805_073936.jpg 5.00 for this ^

12. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 911 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post
    Someone please tell me why Starbucks is charging $1 for a fucking sliver of cream cheese.

Bitch don’t make me bring my own tub of cream cheese (that I can get for that same $1) in my purse.
    How much did 4-bucks pay the person behind the counter? How much did they pay for rent? How much for advertising? How much for ...? It's not just the variable cost of any one item for sale, but the cost of the store, the supply chain, labor, capital and overhead. Pricing is never an easy task. In my business we have products that we sell at a loss because we would sell none of them if we priced them even at cost. But, those products do open the door to other more profitable sales. Likewise, we have products and services that we sell at a larger profit. In the end, the company usually runs about a 10-15% profit margin. We will struggle to make a 10% this year though.

Back to 4-bucks, in 2021 their profit margin, was 14.45%. Their most recent quarter, was 11.2%. Nothing crazy about those numbers.

HTH
    Z

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,066 Times in 2,650 Posts

i need to start being more frugal. I’ve gotten spoiled as a dancer thinking I can always make more money.

I think we need a thread dedicated to being frugal to get through this. Honestly, I’m not even mad guys get the cheap $25 dances because I know everything is so expensive! I’m honestly just happy people are coming to the club and spending. Some guys are cheap assholes, but I don’t make them feel bad for being cheap as long as their tipping on stage and not wasting my time or being rude.
    Focus more on what you want than on what you don’t want

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to moneybags For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,852 Times in 3,701 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moneybags View Post
    i need to start being more frugal. I’ve gotten spoiled as a dancer thinking I can always make more money.

I think we need a thread dedicated to being frugal to get through this. Honestly, I’m not even mad guys get the cheap $25 dances because I know everything is so expensive! I’m honestly just happy people are coming to the club and spending. Some guys are cheap assholes, but I don’t make them feel bad for being cheap as long as their tipping on stage and not wasting my time or being rude.

I think we already had one at least for beauty type products, in Dollar Den.

I do NOT envy the girls working the club. Mine got rid of floor dances, the cheapest option is 2-for-$60 now. That's gotta be a tough sell given the state of inflation.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Wow, THAT'S CHEAP, for gas, Pokes^!

The 'Texan', lol.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,520 Times in 3,100 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    Wow, THAT'S CHEAP, for gas, Pokes^!

The 'Texan', lol.
    Kind of news here. It is about 20 miles away.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    SB's known to charge for every extra..

I forgot about the $ store, I don't care for the quality of the tp, I know it's cheap, (I sometimes buy it for the roomies) but Aldi's 1.24 for the 24 roll Pk, I buy the 4pk @ 3.99

They now charge 1.25, lots of stuff is higher, but still some decent dealsIMG_20220805_073936.jpg 5.00 for this ^
    When you ordered a bagel the butter and used to be the cream cheese were free and only the guacamole spread was extra.

You’re right - Starbucks will start charging for things that used to be free and reducing their member rewards after they start getting hard up

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by Zofia View Post
    How much did 4-bucks pay the person behind the counter? How much did they pay for rent? How much for advertising? How much for ...? It's not just the variable cost of any one item for sale, but the cost of the store, the supply chain, labor, capital and overhead. Pricing is never an easy task. In my business we have products that we sell at a loss because we would sell none of them if we priced them even at cost. But, those products do open the door to other more profitable sales. Likewise, we have products and services that we sell at a larger profit. In the end, the company usually runs about a 10-15% profit margin. We will struggle to make a 10% this year though.

Back to 4-bucks, in 2021 their profit margin, was 14.45%. Their most recent quarter, was 11.2%. Nothing crazy about those numbers.

HTH
    Z
    I see your point and I get these companies are paying overhead that inflates the cost of their goods and services.

However, they waste money on many facets of overhead.

I wonder what part of that 14% is the CEOs multimillion dollar salary

Thanks

I wonder what part of that 14% is the CEOs multimillion dollar salary
    As a business owner, I don't take a salary. It's all dividends for me. But, as an investor, I know that CEO salaries are a necessity. The market sets the salary. Some boards do overpay. And the results show it. Chrysler way overpaid for a CEO before the Daimler merger. They lost big money and were forced to seek Daimler's help. Daimler found out just how badly run Chrysler was and they spun them off. Now, FIAT is stuck with Chrysler, mainly they wanted Ram trucks and Jeeps and the dealer network. Not sure just how well that deal is working for FIAT. So, overpaying for a poor performing CEO can cost money and it can cost money a long time after they are gone.

All that written, most CEOs salaries are fairly well set based on performance and size of the company. Further, the CEO salary is also a drop in the bucket, so to speak, of the overall expense side of the company.

Further, I know there are wastes within overhead. For example, some people criticize my company for having an airplane that flies no more than once a week on business trips, but flies me on a very regular basis from the airport nearest my beach house and Raleigh. At a little over a $1,000/hour operating cost and the cost of a professional pilot (roughly $90,000 per year counting training and benefits) it looks like an extravagance. That said, it turns a three hour drive each way into a thirty minute flight. So is the $300,000 a year spent on operating cost and pilot expenses plus the capital cost of the airplane a waste? Not to me, and it does come out of my dividend. So yeah, maybe chartering is a better use of money, or just flying first class everywhere. But, there are no first class plane tickets to and from my beach house.

XOXO
    Z

P.S. love your quote at the bottom of your post. ;-)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,470 Times in 2,712 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    We have some more good news : Thanks to lower prices for gasoline and other forms of energy the CPI for August measuring the period ending July, 2022 dropped from 9.1% to 8.5%. Energy costs fell 4.6% month to month, But food prices were up 1.1% and rents were up 0.5 %. Food is still increasing but the rate of increase for rents appears to be slowing.

Now for the not so good news : Growth is decelerating. Wages are lagging behind inflation.

As Rick and I have been saying it is a mixed bag.
    When we're cheering an 8.5% inflation reading as a win, it's still a shit show. Inflation experienced dips during the stagflationary 70s too but that didn't mean that the economy was healthy. Energy is still expensive and wages are still increasing at a real clip, which will continue to put upward price pressure on virtually all of our goods and services.

What's scary is that the stock market is already cheering this slight decrease in inflation. Right now every time the stock market cheers, I groan because it means that in their eyes the party is not over. They believe that this will give our all too timid Fed an excuse to pull back on upcoming rate increases, much like they did in the 70s - I hope they are wrong.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Im really perturbed that Dollar Tree items now cost $1.25

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/08/busin...res/index.html

30. The Following User Says Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Eggs! OMG, no eggs under $1.00 now, at all. I'm not talking Whole Foods either. Harris-Teeter, the local Kroger brand store, no eggs for less than $3.69. Just a week ago, I could still get the large Grade A eggs for $.89/dozen. Sunday, they were $3.69! No eggs for us.

Z

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,055 Times in 4,552 Posts

It looks like eggs are up in price due to an outbreak of bird flu, which forced American farmers to cull some 30 million birds, including egg-laying hens and turkeys.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/10/egg-pr...rsists-report/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    It looks like eggs are up in price due to an outbreak of bird flu, which forced American farmers to cull some 30 million birds, including egg-laying hens and turkeys.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/10/egg-pr...rsists-report/
    That's probably the case. I live in NC, which has a huge bird flu outbreak.

Z

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Don't be so sure about the prices for chips and cereals. I have personally seen the "shrinkflation ". They charge the same but for a smaller box of cereal or smaller bag of chips.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    Don't be so sure about the prices for chips and cereals. I have personally seen the "shrinkflation ". They charge the same but for a smaller box of cereal or smaller bag of chips.
    LOL. Maybe I'm not noticing it so much because I normally buy family sizes and there are almost always sales. This is one of the few "middle aisle" staples that I buy at my local supermarket instead of Walmart because there will inevitably be a cereal and potato chip manufacturer offering a deal. The kids never know which cereals and chips I'm going to show up with, but inevitably it will be something that they like.

Thanks

Come on Rick. Shrinkflation has been all over the news lol. They've been doing it for years. Remember when you could buy a one pound can of coffee ? Now it's down to like 11 ounces.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Natural gas prices just hit a 14 year high. Why this matters so much is that fuel costs are a big and variable component of many of our electric bills that utility companies are generally allowed to pass on to their customers. "Fuel" generally means natural gas, which many of our utility companies rely heavily on to generate power. My "fuel surcharge" line item is already about as high my KwH charges and now I expect it to go even higher in the coming months. This is really going to suck.

In other news, OPEC just announced that it may cut oil production. The announcement is already causing oil prices to rise again, which will carry through to our gas pumps before long.

What a shit show. Even worse though is that utility and gas price increases inevitably impact every other good and service since it costs more to produce, transport and deliver those goods and services.

I'm usually not the Debbie Downer type, but I am really not liking what I'm seeing right now.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Be of good cheer Rick. There is really nothing for you to worry about. High gasoline prices ? Not to worry. Just get an electric car. In California it costs more to recharge an electric car than to gas up a similar size conventional car. High electricity rates got you down ? Not to worry. Install solar panels on your roof. Pay the large up front costs or finance same at increasing interest rates and then hope for sunny weather. And hope for progress on the batteries you'll need to store your excess power. Worried that we will emulate Europe and shut down too many nuclear plants and be held hostage to the vagaries of the weather ? Don't. We can do what the U.K. and Germany are doing and go back to burning coal. Best of all Rick , you will feel great about yourself and all that you are doing to help Mother Earth ! Which is of course the most important thing.

On a serious , more realistic note, how anyone seriously expects the U.S. to keep a modern economy going with windmills and solar panels is beyond me. Not for the next two decades at least. Is anybody paying attention to what is going on in Europe ? How they are scrambling to keep the lights on and their populations from freezing this winter ?

Bjorn Lonborg relying on U.N. Climate change figures says the recent Inflation Reduction Act will result in the U.S. reducing carbon output to lower the Earth's temperature by less than one tenth of a degree. I have seen other estimates that put it closer to 1 one hundredth of a degree. As I have repeatedly posted , the U.S. is NOT the problem. It is China, India and other 3rd World developing countries that are spewing out most of the carbon and other pollutants ( mostly by burning coal ) while the U.S. reduces its output every year . For every new Chinese Green Energy project they open up at least one new coal burning plant. U.S. natural gas is the cleanest in the world. It burns cleaner and generates less pollutants than that of any other country.
    Last edited by Eric Stoner; 08-23-2022 at 10:31 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast