Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy Prices for Basic Goods

Thanks
    Thanked 7,479 Times in 2,715 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Default Crazy Prices for Basic Goods

I just finished a quick stop to pickup a few household goods. It wasn't a big weekly shopping trip, just filling some gaps and stocking up a bit. When the register rang out at $180, I actually laughed out loud. Just a few basic items - no meat and certainly nothing fancy. The cashier looked at me and said, "Well, at least you can laugh about it. I don't see that too often."

About $100 of that was just for cat food and toilet paper. Seriously. Now I'll admit that I bought in small bulk and paid up for brands that I prefer, but even still. I'll be lucky to get a month out of the toilet paper (lots of girls here) and I'll have to replenish the cats' wet food in 2 weeks. It's running me easily $140 per month just to feed 2 cats and even if I downgraded their food I'd never get it below $100 per month. No wonder so many people are turning their animals into shelters now.

The only "value" of any type I found was in my favorite laundry detergent. I can still find it at about $.30 per load if I'm willing to buy a 3-4 month supply, lol. Again in all fairness I pay up a bit for this too, but I'm hardly using anything fancy.

Oh, and did I mention that all of this was at a Walmart? I don't even want to speculate as to what these would have cost me at my local grocery store, or at some inner city bodega, or...

This is just the latest in a string of absurdities, which includes my grocery bill steadily rising over the past year and my electric bill jumping due to fuel charges that are now almost as high as my base electricity charges. Just over the past year these two items alone have boosted my expenses by $4-500 per month. I'm cringing to think of what I'll see when my insurance policy renewals roll around.

This is just one long ride to crazy town now. Thank goodness this didn't happen to me when I was younger and less able to absorb the shocks.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,134 Times in 4,581 Posts

Default Re: Crazy Prices for Basic Goods

What type of toilet paper do you use? An 18 pack of mega rolls of Walmart's brand is going for $14.82.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,518 Times in 3,105 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Those must be big cats who eat a lot!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 25,947 Times in 13,232 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Crossfingers Re: Crazy Prices for Basic Goods

Have you checked out Aldi's? They sell cat food & tp, I don't have cats, but tp is 4.00 for 4 large rolls.

Lik you said, it's the damn fuel costs, in Mass it was 8.00+ for diesel

8. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Looks like a 40 pack of Friskies wet cat food is going for $28.48 at Walmart.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Walmart doesn't always have the best prices though

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Those must be big cats who eat a lot!
    4 cans a day between the two of them, plus dry food. They are active cats who spend a lot of the daylight hours outdoors, which is common here in FL.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    What type of toilet paper do you use? An 18 pack of mega rolls of Walmart's brand is going for $14.82.
    Have you ever wiped your ass for several days straight with store brand toilet paper? I don't recommend it. But even if we did in a house with a bunch of girls and a Dad is going to easily run through one of those mega rolls over a 24 hour period. So even at Walmart brand tp prices you're talking $25 per month just for bathroom wiping.

Also, 2 cats eating four cans of Friskies a day will run you $85 per month. Assuming you are also putting dry down for them (at least overnight), you're at $100 per month just to feed the two critters. That of course is before vet bills and other ancillary pet care expenses, which is why so many people are returning their animals back to shelters now.

https://www.natureworldnews.com/arti...s-shelters.htm
    https://nypost.com/2022/07/19/famili...-rising-rents/
    https://www.npr.org/2022/07/23/11131...e-of-ownership

Of course I'm not using store brand tp nor am I feeding my cats Friskies, but you get the point. The prices of both cat food and toilet paper alone have gone up by close to 50% over the last 2 years. Like I said, it's crazy town now.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 888 Posts

Friskies is garbage. Wouldn't feed it to a stray. My cats eat better than I do lol. Blue Wilderness and Beyond in cans and Purina One for dry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickdugan View Post
    4 cans a day between the two of them, plus dry food. They are active cats who spend a lot of the daylight hours outdoors, which is common here in FL.
    My two only eat one can per day between them. They prefer their dry food and are strictly INDOORS. Indoor cats stay healthier longer and don't pick up fleas.

Thanks

Have you ever wiped your ass for several days straight with store brand toilet paper? I don't recommend it. But even if we did in a house with a bunch of girls and a Dad is going to easily run through one of those mega rolls over a 24 hour period. So even at Walmart brand tp prices you're talking $25 per month just for bathroom wiping.

Also, 2 cats eating four cans of Friskies a day will run you $85 per month. Assuming you are also putting dry down for them (at least overnight), you're at $100 per month just to feed the two critters. That of course is before vet bills and other ancillary pet care expenses, which is why so many people are returning their animals back to shelters now.

Of course I'm not using store brand tp nor am I feeding my cats Friskies, but you get the point. The prices of both cat food and toilet paper alone have gone up by close to 50% over the last 2 years. Like I said, it's crazy town now.
    You are right. Prices of a lot of things have gone up. And sadly it has had an impact on the pets of America as too many can no longer afford to feed them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Crossfingers Re: Crazy Prices for Basic Goods

IMG_20220725_101615.jpg

Aldi's tp, it's really not bad, this's from the 4 pack, they have like a larger package, Idk how much.
    Trader Joe's has great tp, 6.99 for 6 rolls

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    My two only eat one can per day between them. They prefer their dry food and are strictly INDOORS. Indoor cats stay healthier longer and don't pick up fleas.
    I used to have cats like that. Two Blue Point Himalayans to be exact. Letting them out would have been a nightmare because of their long soft coats. But they had no interest in going out anyway, so it was not a problem. Sadly they died years ago.

Now I live in a place where the population of feral cats - tabbies in particular - is a real problem. There are so many unwanted cats here that it seemed criminal to once again pay a breeder large sums of money for another specialty breed. So instead I adopted two kittens from a litter birthed by a feral cat and I am happy that I did.

The downside though was that the call of the wild was strong in both of them, but especially the male. After fighting a year long war with the little Houdini - winning some battles and losing others - I finally had to give in and find a more sustainable way. Hence the hybrid model. When they have the option to come in and out during they day they don't try to get out at night. As far as fleas and ticks, I just have them treated once every few months and they are fine - but of course it adds yet more to my expenses!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

I've been using Walmart brand toilet paper for years and have never had any problems with it. Consumer Reports ranked Walmart's White Cloud as the best toilet paper.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ucts/index.htm

23. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

I've been using Walmart brand toilet paper for years and have never had any problems with it. Consumer Reports ranked Walmart's White Cloud as the best toilet paper.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ucts/index.htm
    Fair enough Eagle but it doesn't change the economics I outlined above. In a household like mine, something as basic as toilet paper has become a noticeable expense. Like I said, CrazyTown.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I used to have cats like that. Two Blue Point Himalayans to be exact. Letting them out would have been a nightmare because of their long soft coats. But they had no interest in going out anyway, so it was not a problem. Sadly they died years ago.

Now I live in a place where the population of feral cats - tabbies in particular - is a real problem. There are so many unwanted cats here that it seemed criminal to once again pay a breeder large sums of money for another specialty breed. So instead I adopted two kittens from a litter birthed by a feral cat and I am happy that I did.

The downside though was that the call of the wild was strong in both of them, but especially the male. After fighting a year long war with the little Houdini - winning some battles and losing others - I finally had to give in and find a more sustainable way. Hence the hybrid model. When they have the option to come in and out during they day they don't try to get out at night. As far as fleas and ticks, I just have them treated once every few months and they are fine - but of course it adds yet more to my expenses!
    Both my cats are rescues. The oldest was a personal rescue. She was 3 weeks old and as I was walking to my office I saw cars literally passing over a strange little ball of something. When I got closer I saw it was a KITTEN ! So I ran out into traffic and scooped her up. Had to bottle feed her for two weeks. She somehow got separated from her mother and siblings. Pretty sure her mother was a local feral cat that was ALWAYS pregnant. My other cat was hand raised. I always liked Tuxedos and couldn't resist getting one. Like you I also had a Himalayan. Long story but I gave him away to a GREAT home where he loves and is loved.

As far as keeping them indoors, I have found over 40 years or so of having cats that being vigilant when opening and closing the doors is key. They get used to the idea of being indoors pretty quick. Especially after being fixed.

I don't know if I'll ever replace the ones I have now. They are declawed. I know, I KNOW ! I was taken to school on the issue on this board a while back. It's now illegal in N.Y. anyway.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    As far as keeping them indoors, I have found over 40 years or so of having cats that being vigilant when opening and closing the doors is key. They get used to the idea of being indoors pretty quick. Especially after being fixed.

I don't know if I'll ever replace the ones I have now. They are declawed. I know, I KNOW ! I was taken to school on the issue on this board a while back. It's now illegal in N.Y. anyway.
    Not my male cat. He was relentless. If I could have kept him fully indoor I would have. He even tore a hole in the screen of my back patio to get out. He'd hear someone approaching the front door, like my kids, and be past their legs like lightening. Then he'd be so desperate to stay out that he'd be away for many hours at a time - the longest being two whole days. I can't begin to tell you how much drama that caused with the kiddos. This shit went on for a solid year until I finally gave in. The only way I have found to make sure that he's in each night is to let him come and go during the day.

I'm sure you've already heard enough about your choice to have your kitties' limbs partially amputated - I won't add to it except to say aiyee!

Thanks

Yes, I was educated on declawing and vowed never to do it to another cat. Another sin I will have to account for.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Aggressive

12 large tp rolls, at Aldi's for 8.00 & change
    I forgot to look at the cat food.
    Next time.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,518 Times in 3,105 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

God/dess
    Thanks

Fair enough Eagle but it doesn't change the economics I outlined above. In a household like mine, something as basic as toilet paper has become a noticeable expense. Like I said, CrazyTown.
    Have you ever tried Costco? I heard they sell items in bulk at low prices, but I haven't tried it myself. Their membership fee isn't worth it for one person, but it might be for a family of four or five with pets. Also, for anything I spend a lot of money on, I always look online so I can easily compare prices.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Have you ever tried Costco? I heard they sell items in bulk at low prices, but I haven't tried it myself. Their membership fee isn't worth it for one person, but it might be for a family of four or five with pets. Also, for anything I spend a lot of money on, I always look online so I can easily compare prices.
    Eagle, I'm not going to do much better than buying in bulk from Walmart. The point is not whether I pay $25 (your example) or $30 (buying my brand) per month on toilet paper, but rather that something as basic as wiping ourselves has become a real measurable expense now due to extraordinary price inflation. That is one single basic household item.

But yes, I have done both Costco and Sam's Club. Neither was worth it to me either. The bulk purchase requirements made them impractical and the prices on paper goods weren't really much better than Walmart. We could never finish the produce before it went bad and I don't like to freeze most meats because it changes the texture/flavor.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 923 Posts

The good news is gasoline prices are falling quickly where I live.

Z

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,474 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zofia View Post

Z
    Same in my area, but it seems to be equally diluted with ethanol so it doesn't last very long. I barely drive and am still needing to get gas at least every two weeks lately.
    "There are different kinds of darkness. There is darkness that frightens, the darkness that soothes, the darkness that is restful. There is the darkness of lovers, and the darkness of assassins. It becomes what the bearer wishes it to be, needs it to be. It is not wholly bad or good."
    - The Court of Mist and Fury

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lynn2009 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Zofia View Post

Z
    Yup. Now the price of gas is just exorbitant instead of absurd, at least as compared to the beginning of last year or even immediately before the pandemic.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickdugan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast