Thread: Used Cars

Thanks

Default Used Cars

Hey! This is a little off topic but it is the general board

I am looking to buy a used car, my old jeep isnt going to cut it anymore...and knowing nothing about the different brands and such, any advice would be nice.

These are the main things I want in it:
    -RELIABLE, i dont want it breaking down on me on the interstate at 3am!
    -Good gas milage
    -Not too expensive
    -Looks dont matter at all...but I dont really want something the size of a van....

I have heard good things about hondas...any other brands? What do you drive?
    Thanks Roxie

God/dess
    Thanks

Default Re: Used Cars

I love Volvos - mine is very reliable and safe. They will last forever! She has also not stranded me anywhere but once, ever, in ten years of driving her. I've also heard great things about the Subaru wagons. On the other hand, my sister has a Chevy Blazer that she's had tons of problems with.
    Of course, you will always want to get a car checked out by an independent mechanic before you buy it. Good luck!

Veteran Member
    Thanks

buy a honda !

they are made very well, they run forever, they never break down, they hold their value extremely well, the get good gas milage, they dont rust that much, ect.

Hondas are seriously the best cars ever made, no question.
    They also have a tremendous amount of trunk space for a small car, truely a miracle car. Theonly think you will ever have to pay for are oil changes, and tires.

God/dess
    Thanks

The Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and Mazda Protege are all dependable cars that get good gas mileage. Depending on the year, the Nissan Sentra is also a good bet.... Check for information on preferred new and used cars.... Check for tech bulletins and recalls by model and year. That can save you repair grief.... Good point about having an independent mechanic check the car before you buy.... Money in the bank earns interest; cars depreciate in value. Don't buy more car than you need.... If you want a sportscar, the Acura RSX and Toyota Celica are excellent values.

Thanks

Saturns are also a good bet. I bought one, a '2000 last October. They are very safe and they look nice but don't scream for attention. Dancing in LA, that is exactly what I was looking for. They have lots of room too. I could take it up to the snow for snow boarding and fit some skis as well for a four day trip. They are great!

Toyotas and Hondas are great. I had an Acura Integra that lasted for well over 100,000 miles.

I had a mechanic from a Saturn dealer check my car out before I bought.

Cheers,

Corey
    (Formerly known as 'Korina')

Thanks

Whoa Corey. I have a Saturn also. Mine is 2001 SC2 3-door coupe. It is sporty, great on gas! and looks good. Never had a problem. Except my AC broke and with the crazy weather we've had lately in LA it would've been nice a few days ago!

Roxie, definately take a guy to go with while shopping.
    Keep in mind that the dealership will want proof of income. Your club would probably need to verify your income. A phone call or letter will do. Maybe also your past 3 months worth of bank satements. Also, don't let every dealership check your credit report, b/c that brings your score down.
    It's better to be looked over, than overlooked.

Featured Member
    Thanks

I've had geat luck with Honda Accord, Toyota P/Us Ford Ranger and F150s. You will never believe the latest, post divorce. Hyundai Accent. $7000. new out the door. 156,000 miles in 3 years. Nothing more than oil changes. Amazing! Why spend $50,000 if you are going to throw it away in 5 years anyway?
    When the man says, "I do," it is the happiest day of her life.-Al Bundy

Thanks
    Thanked 10,566 Times in 4,646 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

All Japanese cars seem to have excellent long term maintenance histories. This obviously includes Japanese brands like Honda (best but expensive), Mitsubishi, Mazda, Toyota etc. but it also includes Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles made prior to the 2000 buyout by Mercedes which had mostly Mitsubishi engines and drive trains. I actually own two Mitsubishi Eclipses, but one has a Jeep/Eagle Talon nameplate (and 4WD + turbo, great for driving through snow at 3am plus 30mpg).

I also agree that if you're considering a new car purchase that Hyundai cannot be beat for low price and great warrantee. However, Hyundai doesn't offer a 4WD car.

I actually have my own eye on a Subaru WRX-STI which is also a 4WD with turbo - hopefully I'll be able to stumble on a one year old program car/repo car this fall and save about $5000 in instant depreciation.

God/dess
    Thanks

If you drive in snow/ice, look for a Saturn with ABS/traction control. In that case I would rate it ahead of any Japanese compact car. A five-speed S or SC will get over 40mpg on the highway. Corey and SG are right. Those cars are real sleepers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,803 Times in 767 Posts

Go to Edmunds.com, they have the most comprehensive analysis on new and used cars. Read their articles about car buying. If you have time, read their series about being a car salesman!

Line up financing before you go car shopping. That way you will know what you have to work with. If you are buying new, it's usually cheaper to finance your car through the bank and take the cash back from the dealer. The 0% financing are really not that great because you lose the rebate. But, do the math to make sure. Also, car dealers are fond of doing a bait and switch on the financing. They'll "sell" you the care with 0% financing and then a couple of days later they'll call and say the loan was not approved at 0%. Instead the loan is at 7% and they will forget to give you your rebate. If you take dealer financing make sure the agreement spells out that the deal is contingent on getting a 0% interest rate, or if not, you can return the car and they will refund your downpayment or trade in value.

Used cars are trickier, but they represtent a much better value than a new one. However, you have to look carefully at a used car to see what kind of shape it's in. Have any used car inspected (the correct term is surveyed, but no car mechanics know the difference) to detect any lurking maintenance issues. Also, look at the service history. If major service intervals have been skipped, you can expect problems. Edmunds gives you the factory service schedule for every make, model and year automobile. During your own pre-purchase test drive, check the heat and airconditioning, check all the lights, check the oil, take the air filter cover off and look at the cartrige, after the drive, but before you get back to the dealer's lot, stop, open the hood and look for leaks. Check the tires for uneven wear patterns. If the tires are new you'll want to have your mechanic check the allignment. If the car has factory tires, you'll want to replace those ASAP. If you live in a city with an exhaust check program, you'll want the dealer to put in writing that the car will pass the inspection, or the dealer will repair any deficiecies or take the car back and refund your money. (Some cars warranties cover this. Check the warranty book. Some cars warranty will transfer to a subsequent owner, some won't.)

You'll probably want to look for a nearly new Honda Civic or Accord. Hondas are very reliable get good mileage and are very well built. I had a Civic all through college and it is a terrific little car. A little stodgy, but a terrific car. I have a Beetle now. I'm very happy with it too, but it's only a month old.

HTH
    Z

Pamela

Honda and Toyota are the number 1 selling cars right now, and have been known for long mileage. The hondas look good. I like the Acura myself.
    But if you can afford a newer model ever, go with a Mercedes, you can't beat one for mileage, comfort and so reliable!
    Mine is going to be 5 years old now, best damn car i ever bought.

If you can stay under 75,000 miles when you get your car. Although 300,000 is not uncommon at all for our imports!

Good luck! And shop around, take your time. Drive that car to another mechanic off the lot to look at for you.

Pamela

Thanks

i have three cars. one of them is a kia. dont laugh. i have a 10yr 100,000 warrenty. it was cheep and i got it brand new. gas milage is great and the model i have is cute. the transmission went out they fixed it and gave me a rental. i liked the fact that it was brand new when i got it for the same price i would have paid for an import several years old. ive had it two years and it has been a great car.
    As quoted by Luckyone:
    I asked directions from a genie in a bottle of jim beam and she lied to me.

Methodus saved my life!

Thanks

Toyota or Nissan they are very stready cars Accident wise.

Thanks

i agree with pamela..if you can afford go with an acura (..honda reliability but better looking and performing) or a benz (nothing beats the class and style). I love mine but I miss the jeep i traded in...wish i kept it. although if you want a random opinion from a guy who promises that he is not a redneck...nothing looks sexier than a cute girl in a big truck.

Thanks

I love my Mazda Miata and would buy another Mazda in a heartbeat. My only problem is cargo and size (I swear the car is built for someone exactly 1 inch shorter than me... but hey, so are Vipers *sigh*). I've had an Isuzu Trooper and a Toyota 4Runner (yeah, I'm from Tahoe) and loved them both. I plan on buying a Toyota Tacoma at the end of summer. My big problem cars were always American.

For the record, my roadtripping friends swear by their Hondas and Acuras: comfort and reliability at 100,000 miles+
    Currently dancing at the Men's Club of Reno, NV
    under the name of Veronica! I am a 2007 calendar girl for MCR, so message me if you want a calendar!

Thanks

I had a Honda Civic that I absolutely loved. Great gas mileage, never a problem, Hondas hold their re-sell value well, and the space was fantastic for a small car.

I also had a Suzuki Swift that I bought new for $7200 back in 1994 and drove for 5 years. That was by far the cheapest new car I found at the time. Anyway, I drove the crap out of that car and sold it to another dancer in 1999 - she STILL drives that car and says it runs great and she's never had a problem with it. It's got nearly 200,000 miles on it now. Suzuki discontinued the Swift, but they have a few other models and it might be worth checking out for an inexpensive small car that will go forever.

Another site you can check for lots of info, including approx pricing, is . They have info on both new and used cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pheno View Post
    When you lead a nontraditional life don't try to measure it with traditional milestones.

Thanks

Thanks for all your help!!