Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: should I get hair extensions?

Thanks

Default Re: should I get hair extensions?

I've been getting hair extensions since I was 1 (the curse of having the most intolerable afro hair imaginable) and have only started wearing it natural for the past few months so I know most extensions. Word of warning - corn rows, as pretty as they are, stress out the hair REAL BAD because the hair is pulled sooo tightly. If you really want 'em I recommend you have damn strong and healthy hair.
    Another thing, I found that braided extensions do not ruin hair as long as it's very well taken care of. Leave them in no longer than two months max and wash once a week. There are sprays and things to relieve itching and condition your scalp so that they last and look great.
    If you do get extensions though, don't play with them too much. Remember that your real hair is attached to it and this can pull it. After all, you get long hair to wear it down and show it off, right?? So leave it that way and enjoy it. It ain't cheap after all :-)
    You are the envy
    of all parallel lines that
    dream of curves and convergence
    - Sara Bailey: Sieve of Words

Thanks

Here is a link to a salon locator for Great Lengths.
    http://www.greatlengthsusa.com/csig/..._sLocator.html

I am getting mine done Monday to fix some nasty layers in the front of my hair. I hope it works.
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Thanks

Thanks for the locator! I'll definately be checking that out. Although, maybe after christmas.

Thanks

Y'all have convinced me. I want to do it too! My hair is so wrecked from all the coloring and such that I want to have long hair (I do) but in different colors whenever I feel like it. So I'm debating about getting some put in but in a honey colored blonde to contrast my darker hair. Kinda like Pamela's idea with the Christina Aguilera thing but backwards.

Shayden
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Have had them for ayear. Baby your hair and dont wash it as frequently as you would your own hair. If you have dry hair (the weave will dry out over time from heat and products containing alcohol) use a oil free spray shine. If they are bonded by glue, use a bond remover and a bond remover shampoo to remove glue when they are ready to be taken out. You break your hair otherwise.

Thanks

damn! it sounds like alot of work...
    i still think i want to try it sometime too though

my hair already naturally is quite think and down to the middle or so of my back, but id like something a little more.... dramatic?!

i think guys do usually prefer longer hair,
    its pretty!!

God/dess
    Thanks

Im getting hair exstentions too by the end of the month. Im getting another consultation next week from someone who does whole heads of weave. Im getting the sewn in kind.

The lady told me they last 2-3 months and if you take care of the real hair you put in the 1st time. I cant wait to not do my hair and be able to just wash n go.

She also said that since my hair is dry not and over processed it might be longer but still the same condition when I take the weave out.

Im so excited!
    you live like an ivy vine
    you can only survive by clinging onto trees
    that's your flaw
    put down some roots so you can stand on your own
    -Kenpachi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by destiny36
    I HEARD THAT HAIR EXTENSIONS WERE BAD FOR YOUR HAIR.I PERSONLEY HAVE NEVER HAD THEM.AND AS FAR AS MEN GO THEY LIKE ALL TYPES OF HAIR.
    Depends how well they are done and if you look after then weather they are bad for your hair or not ..

i have always had mine done .. i just got them redone.. i wouldnt live woth out them...

I get natural human hair done so i can sytle it how ever i want..

i dont see why you shouldnt get them done .. the give me a real good conferdince boost and look hot

Thanks

Great Lengths ruined my hair...I had them 2 weeks and they started coming out...My hair now has bald spots!

God/dess
    Thanks

I had the hairlocs done last January and in about two weeks half of them had slipped out of my hair. When I went to my consultation, I told her that I was concerned because my hair is so thin and fine and she said it would be no problem.

She was wrong.

I have to have the sew in or the glue ins because of this (I prefer the glue ins)

Other than that, if you have thicker hair or regular to dry hair, you'll love them. The clamps they use are just about invisible and the results after getting it done are absolutely beautiful!

Featured Member
    Thanks

xxxxx
    Last edited by Candice; 10-26-2008 at 10:05 AM.

God/dess
    Thanks

I have my appt. on the 21st of this month...couldnt get in for the life of me! But Im excited...Ill post pics...going to take before and afters.
    you live like an ivy vine
    you can only survive by clinging onto trees
    that's your flaw
    put down some roots so you can stand on your own
    -Kenpachi

Thanks

after reading this thread i decided to go for a consultation. it sounds like a great idea; to be able to give yourself sexy showgirl hair for work and not have it ruin your own hair. i went to an upscale salon- maybe too upscale- the price for 18inches plus a haircut when the extensions are in was $3285!!!!! also, the girl said they didnt use great lengths anymore, they are supposedly outdated, they now use hair dreams.

the xtensions sound fun and look good, but 3285 is a little ridiculous. i guess ill shop around for some better prices, but im wary to go to a super cheap place, as you (usually) get what you pay for.

Thanks

my hair is naturally down to my waist.

i've had friends try great lengths and other various glued in methods of extensions put in, they all cause breakage or thinning of the hair...

several girls i know have extensions put in without glue, instead put in with these little facets, half the circumfrance of a straw, they're like little brackets, its hard to explain, it looks cool though, she has about 40-70 of these mini brackets throughout her head. The fake hair is fastened to your real hair with these brackets.

im going to get maybe 10-15 pieces of fake hair put in to highlight my dark hair.

im 26, have been entertaining/dancing since i was 18, have met many girls, these extensions have impressed me

God/dess
    Thanks

Julie, those are the hairlocs I posted about above. They are definitely beautiful, but not if you have very thin/fine hair or very oily hair. They tend to slip.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I have used great lengths for 2 years now. I find they are great. Usually by the 4th month I have to replace them. My hair dresser wants to switch me to the hair lock system. The advantage she says is that once you buy the hair you can reuse it 3 or 4 times. So the savings would be great. She has had great success with them.
    Opinions are one thing that makes us all individuals.

Thanks

Okay I have NEVER had any extenions done but I get about the same effect when I braid little braids (like as wide across as my pinky nail) into my hair in different places. I don't braid them super tight at the scalp but as I go down I do and I don't tie them, just take some aloe vera gel and rub the end between my thumg and forefinger to help them hold a little as well as loosen so that it doesn't look like you have a braid. I have hair to my waist and it's pretty thick so I wouldn't do extensions on myself anyway. You actually don't even have to take the braid to the end, it just adds volume.

I have actually done the glue in extensions and the braid in to friends of mine when they couldn't get to the salon, and I notice that they lose more of their natural hair when doing the extensions. Wouldn't it be easier to use a wig? I guess I thought the glue in ones were the worst as far as the amount of hair they seemed to lose. So I just have to ask why would you risk losing more hair by putting these in? Why not start taking some hair and nail supplements and wear a wig for awhile?

My aunt owns a salon here and she refuses to do these because of how many women don't realize how much extra care you need to take with them so you don't ruin your natural hair. If you are one of those people that just has naturally thin hair I guess I could see why you would want to but the end effect seems very much like those fake eyelashes that you get attached to your real eyelash, the loss of them just shows faster because you have less eyelashes then hair.
    Phedre
    ~ my very own pole dancer!

Thanks

If you would like to get extensions mabye try a clip in first and see how you feel about it. If you like the instant gratification then go for it! I have been wearing them for a long time and also I hav ebeen doing then for ten years. If they are done right, by a pro, they wont damage your hair. I think this is a great way to add instant length and instant wow factor

Thanks

I have not lost any strands with Great Lengths in >5 months, but lost several when I had Euro-Loc (once while spinning on the pole and catching my hair in my hand, ouch!)

I am changing mine out next week. The Euro-loc didn't damage my hair, but it does appear unsettling to see all that hair on the floor when they brush it out. BUT, its hair that naturally would have fallen out, but has been stuck in the attachment pieces.

MAKE SURE your stylist is certified in the process that you choose. My lady in Austin has seen the horror cases where the girls lose their hair, when done by poorly skilled beauticians who want to make a buck.

If anyone is in Austin or surrounding areas and want to go to my lady, PLEASE let me know. I really could used the referral discount she gives me, LOL.

They cost around $1500 though, that includes the hair and time it takes to put it in (at least 4 hours.) Its totally worth it because my hair isn't thin, but its baby fine and just doesn't look that great when it gets too long.

"Have you ever been to American wedding? Where is the vodka, where's marinated herring?" - GB
    "And do the cats give a shit? No, they do not. Why? Because they're cats."-from The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Mia M
    If a cupcake was tossed at me... well, I'd only be upset if it missed my mouth

Southern Cali- will travel to NYC or Vegas
    Thanks

Hello-
    Extensions are great and make sure whoever you go to is a liscensed stylist, has a portfolio and has done at least 15 clients. Ask for references and research research research!

Thanks

I love them.

Now I am a cheap skate, lol. I would love to have the extra $1500 to get the great lenghts or other kinds, but I'll just stick with paying $13 a week to get mine done.

I pay $7 for the bundle of hair; yes it's synthetic but it matches my natural curl so well. Then $1 for the glue and $2 for the bond remover. And another $3 or so for the bond remover shampoo.

And then my husband puts them in for me. I know it sounds funny, but every girl at work swears I had to have them put in by a pro and it must have cost me a fortune.

I trusted him to be my life partner and the father of my kids, so why wouldn't I trust him with my hair?!

They only last about a week before I want them out, lol, but I'll take them out wash it really well then put them back in the next day.

Even if I have to put them in every week, it's still cheaper that having the euro locks done, so I can't complain about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by ExoticEngineer View Post
    Feel like a damn salt lick at the goats petting zoo!
    <08SM>

God/dess
    Thanks

Kitana, this is exactly what I do! I do spend 100.00 on the human hair though. But my fiance sits on the couch and I sit on the floor and he places the rows on my head, LOL. I thought I was the only one who does this!!

I also like the freedom of being able to take them out when I want to, like when I'm on vaca or something and I don't want the hassle. The only thing that sucks is the smell of the bond remover.....ugggh!

Thanks

How did you all learn to do them? Is it required to have a partner to help? Where do you buy the hair, at Beauty Supply store?

How long do they last?

"Have you ever been to American wedding? Where is the vodka, where's marinated herring?" - GB
    "And do the cats give a shit? No, they do not. Why? Because they're cats."-from The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Mia M
    If a cupcake was tossed at me... well, I'd only be upset if it missed my mouth

Southern Cali- will travel to NYC or Vegas
    Thanks

there are many places to buy all the supplies you are needing to do your own extensions if you are wanting to venture out into that-
    try this place- they even have tutortials to assist you. this site is very helpful espicially to DIYers.(Do It Yourselfers) they offer links or shrinks. they are pretty simple to learn. And practice makes purfect.

Thanks

Thanks ma,
    You just save me a lot of money.
    If you want the present to be differant from the past, study the past.
    Baruch Spindza

It is what it is, not what you want it to become, that's important -- at least for now. Today, remember that things worth having are worth waiting for!
    The Stars

Minds are like parachutes: They only function when open.
    Thomas Dewar

Dont throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds water.
    Swedish Proverb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast