Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forbidden Songs

Thanks

Default Forbidden Songs

Sure, no song is truely forbidden from being danced to and some are better than others but are there some songs that dancing to shows bad taste?

I read on this topic how some thought the latest from Tori Amos, Scarlett's Walk, was great and loved to dance to it but these are songs (most not directly) about Sept. 11th. Does this show bad taste? What songs do?

Thanks

Default Re: Forbidden Songs

I remember another dancer way out in a small town bar booking --there were 4 of us-- a feature --I was the co-feature and 2 showgirls, one of the showgirls danced to "That Smell" was that Lynard Skynard? Really old rock tune, I remember being mortified...the words of that song while she touched herself? YIKES!!! I'm still scarred, lol!
    A different kind of "bad taste" but yah I get your meaning...
    Remember that Bruce springsteen tune, from the movie where Tom Hanks is gay and dies of AIDS? Philidelphia (pardon my spelling...) That song from the soundtrack about dying from aids? I was distressed to watch a girl try to be sensual to a song that spoke of the pain of dying with this disease... again I thought that was a poor choice, and yah I guess in bad taste too.
    LIVE LONG & PROSPER!
    Leigh Landon

Never explain yourself to anyone, because the person who likes you doesn't need it and the person that dislikes you won't believe it.

Featured Member
    Thanks

I've made another girl run off stage crying during a multi-girl set where I picked the music - I apparently erred in my choice of Lou Reed's "Walk On The Wild Side".

So I'm guessing that one is perhaps a really bad idea.

I would also avoid Toby Keith's "Courtesy of The Red, White, & Blue", as it provokes some very controversial feelings in bleeding heart liberals.

McCain

Thanks

I've done "walk on the wild side" with no ill effects...

I have seen girls do "who let the dogs out" - which I found only mildly horrifying - and "my sharona", which is just wrong. I don't think strippers should dance to songs about pedophelia.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,065 Times in 2,637 Posts

These songs are often only bad if the guys actually listen to the lyrics, which most of 'em are not cerebrally oriented enough to do in an exotic dance bar, their consciousness being focused much further south.

"Walk on the Wild Side" does have the whole gay/TV thing going but I would play it without hesitation for the right girl, & I have used that line when flirting, but certainly not with gays (yuck, lol).

I have played "Who let the dogs out", but a special remix which is less ghetto, more techno, and usually on those occasions when a dancer brought her dog in the club--I'm sorry I could not resist doing that and will do it again if they let the critters in the club, I am an animal lover.

I have always detested "My Sharona" and the Knack, although there are certainly worse bands and songs. I didn't know it was about pedophilia--one more reason never to play it.

Speaking of Pedophilia I will NOT play Michael Jackson, even his early stuff when he was still good. He should be in jail forever, I hate the way rich celebrities get away with this shit while people who want to grow their own weed or dance naughtily are getting busted.

I have been reluctant to play NIN's "I'm afraid of Americans" because of lyrics, but they never listen to them even when he sings "Johnny wants to suck on a c**k". I play it whenever I can because it is the best NIN song IMO, and no one has ever said a word.

Consolidated has some great songs but it is commie rock! "America Number One" is one of the hardest hot dance songs ever, so I play it, but skip the part where he spouts off in beg., and they are all watching the girl so think he's singing about America being the "greatest country on earth"

OK Leigh, "That Smell" deseves its own spot, look in General topics, and thank you again for being here on this earth, and on this forum for me to talk to.

Djoser
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

Thanks

What Would You Do always sort of mildly offends me, and I have walked off stage and refused to dance to it when one DJ tried to play it for me. Also one time a DJ announced me as "Lilith, Goddess of Destruction" and played She's a Maneater, which really pissed me off.

Lena

Thanks

I have been reluctant to play NIN's "I'm afraid of Americans" because of lyrics, but they never listen to them even when he sings "Johnny wants to suck on a c**k". I play it whenever I can because it is the best NIN song IMO, and no one has ever said a word.
    Ummm, excuse me, you don't play whose, "I'm afraid of Americans?" Oh you better start back peddlin fast little boy because I've wanted to screw David Bowie senseless for years now. He should have never done that vid with them.

love and cookies
    -smurf
    You can't fight gravity, on a planet that insists, that love is like falling, and falling is like this...

Thanks

Well, damn me, no wonder i liked that song so much! Now that I think about it that IS David's voice! (now I feel like a total idiot--I've been playing that song fo a year!!). I hate MTV so I miss all those videos-a poor excuse for not really listening, eh?

That CD (Rusty Nails IV) also has another slower, moodier but very hot, jammin' version of "Americans" (which I have only played once because the lyrics are much harder to ignore, and we get a lot of rednecks in Daytona) and another excellent Bowie/NIN collaboration song.

You need that CD, Smurfalicious. Little Boy thats good, haha.

Djoser
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Curious Guest
    Thanks

I think my favorite forbidden case would have to be the r&b girl who went CRYING to mgt. be cause she felt degraded dancing to her cutsomer's request, ACDC's "Big Balls" which is basically tongue in cheek humor, but had NO problem with, "Shake that Ass Bitch" (all the ho's be shake shake shakin' it)...she was hurt and offended, right.
    And since we're on the subject of pedo's, how about R. Kelly.
    Trust me on this, the girl offended by the "and the colored girls sing" line in "wild side" will have no problem with "can I get a.." and the like.

Thanks

Randmania that is funny as hell. I'm not fond of the whole ghetto gangsta contempt for "hos" etc., so I'm with you on that. What the hell do I care how many "bitches" some jerk has done--Kid Rock, too, should just shut up and play his music, which I like way more if I can ignore the words.

While a large proportion of rock may be regrettably sexist, these swine have raised sexism to a level such that, much as I spoil my dancers rotten, I have long refused to play it. I started with "Back that Ass Up" (I know its not THAT bad but that one just rubs me the wrong way, they sound so STUPID and sexist) and the worse stuff. I'll just say I don't have it, but I do, because I do love R & B, being from Motown myself its kind of hard not to. I have all that stuff except the really had core shit.

What is the story with R. Kelly? I'm not a huge fan of his stuff but I do like several songs, like the Isley brothers tune, and have been playing him occasionally. Don't tell me he's into little girls!!! I thought the girl was like 16/17 or something--which is very bad of course, but not in the same league as a 10 year old boy!

I hate almost all media hype, and cannot abide TV, so I never got that story or the one about Rob Lowe. The Jackson hoopla was unavoidable, and more interesting in a disgusting way, like O.J.

Twice now I have played the beginning of "You Remind me of my G", where he goes "You remind me uh sompin', I just can't think of what it is", sounding like he's suffered severe brain damage--I had previously always skipped that bit--and got the guys going on how it was a great thing NOT to say to a woman (Is he for real--or making fun of stupid guys trying to be romantic?). But then I played the song anyway, which is alright if the dancer really likes it (a bit slow).

Guys who sound stupid or whiney (Greenday, etc.), I just can't play 'em. Hey, no one is perfect, as a DJ my weakness is I hate doing this. A lot of the new rock in the last 2-3 years has this sound. I'm not looking for rocket science, just a good jam, but if the guys are in the same mental league as my dog, and proud of it, they lose me, and I'll do what I can to avoid their stuff.

Djoser
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Thanks

At one club I worked at this girl played "Ugly" by Bubba Sparxx. I am pretty sure she picked it out herself, I have no idea why ("it's getting ugly, ugly, uglyyyyy, up in here").

At another club, where I usually let the dj pick out my set, he played "She's Got the Jack" by ACDC. Now I don't know whether that song is really about some chick who has an STD or not, but enough people think so and I was pretty pissed off that he played it. We had a little talk and he never played it for me again.

Thanks

djoser you must not read the newspaper or watch the news either... silly boy. r.kelly has been caught on tape with underage girls and was rearrested here in florida last month for more kiddie stuff on his computer. you know his remix of bump and grind has a part that says "let me see your ID". my customer always sings "to see if you are underage" in that part... lol
    As quoted by Luckyone:
    I asked directions from a genie in a bottle of jim beam and she lied to me.

Methodus saved my life!

Thanks

I was wondering when someone was going to correct that. I can't do it all...

'I'm afraid of Americans' is from Bowie's 1997 release:
    'Earthling'.

I guess it could be classed as an unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed version of NIN....
    (Sorry, I'm a Bowie fan.

For Djoser:
    http://www.illustrated-db-discography.nl/

For an excellet sampling of D.B.'s work, try to find '90's- 'ChangesBowie'
    An out of print album here in North America, but can still be found if you know where to look.

-----------------

In regards to R.Kelly's escapades....
    When a "sex and urination" video that revealed his involvement with an alleged fourteen-year-old girl surfaced and became an underground phenomenon, his good name was effectively tarnished. To say the least.

As 'Rolling Stone' so eloquently put it:
    "....his album with JayZ, 'The best of both Worlds', flopped, though experts haven't ruled out future penetration of the teen market."
    "The elastic retreat rings the close of play as the last wave uncovers the newfangled way."

Thanks

Silly me, it was on a NIN CD, so I made the assumption Reznor might have been somehow responsible, LOL.

Certainly there is more to the two different versions of "Americans" I have on the Rusty Nails IV CD, than would lead even a long-standing (though less than so thoroughly well-versed) Bowie fan such as myself to believe NIN included these songs without alteration or collaboration of some kind. I'm still embarassed I didn't consciously recognize his voice, though.

No wonder I love them (both unique and distinct versions) so much.

That CD does have many other remix/collaborations, including an excellent Aphrodite remix, which is guaranteed to open the eyes of anyone inclined to judge NIN by radio/club exposure, as I had. More to Reznor than "Closer" would lead you to believe.

I have had the "Changes" CD for several years and often play it for dancers who are Bowie fans. No one ever seems to like "Diamond Dogs" as much as I do, however. Thanks for trying to help.

Have either of you heard either, or both versions of "Americans" fom that NIN CD? Rusty Nails IV is not mentioned in that otherwise excellent Bowie discography, although it tantalizingly refers to additional remixes by Reznor. You might be in for a new experience, although as is so often true with remixes, it might be a disappointing one.

Chacun a son gout.

As for R. Kelly--YUCK. No more of him in my club. What a pig. Perhaps I should be more observant concerning these pathetic celebrities, with such disgusting perversions. Speaking of which, anyone know more details of the Rick James torture/crack orgy a while back? All I heard was they burned the poor woman with a cigarette. He should have stuck to "Mary Jane". Did he ever go to jail?

Djoser
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Thanks

djoser..so are you saying that there is a jungle remix by aphrodite of a nin song... intresting
    As quoted by Luckyone:

Methodus saved my life!

Thanks

Yes,Velvet

"The Perfect Drug". If you like Aphrodite, and you like NIN, you're gonna love this one!

Track 3--Rusty Nails IV

Exactly who is doing what to whose songs on this CD is a mystery to me--my version is burned bootleg, but the end result is undeniably powerful. David Bowie is represented not only in the two previously mentioned "remixes"or whatever the hell they are, of "Americans" (both of which have been altered significantly, I suspect, from the original): but also in "Hurt-live with Bowie", and "The Heart's Filthy Lesson-alt mix-David Bowie", the latter being almost as good as "Americans".

Marilyn Manson, Puff Daddy, KMFDM, and Devo all participate or are participated upon (bad grammar, that, but you catch my drift), and a couple or three others. Not every song on the CD is a winner, but every dancer I have ever played track one for has been smitten and inspired by its power, and delivered a perfomance accordingly effective.

If you like Aphrodite you should check out a track by them, slower than their usual beats per minute, called "Aphrodite", I believe. A dancer offered me 50$ for my copy, claiming she actually got off when she danced to it. Whether this was true or not, I didn't sell it. I can't find that CD right now--lost among the stacks I have scattered aound here-- but will look for it if you are interested in finding out more.

Djoser
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Thanks

ok im confused do you mean nin has a song called aphrodite or a song by aphrodite called aphrodite . i have most of aphrodite's cd's.
    As quoted by Luckyone:

Methodus saved my life!

Thanks

Any song that deals with an overly serious subject matter (rape, abuse, etc.) to me would be in bad taste.

These would certainly qualify in my book:

"Never Again" by Nickelback
    "Me and A Gun" by Tori Amos
    "Hell Is For Children" by Pat Benetar
    "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam
    Former SCJ now in rehab.

Thanks

A few years ago when I was new at a club that I later found was a huge extras club, the DJ played 'Goodie Two Shoes' for me on stage. I was so pissed off! How on earth can you dance to that??!! And the lyrics - well, let's say most guys in a strip club in Texas do NOT want to think of a girl as a goodie two shoes!

Another dumbass stoned DJ in Missouri once mistakenly played Original Sin by INXS. The moron didn't realize what he'd done until halfway through the song when the lyrics go on and on about 'black boy, white girl' and 'white boy, black girl'. Needless to say, in the heart of redneck country that didn't go over very well. Someone even yelled, 'hey what about white boy, white girl!' I didn't make so much as a dollar that set.

I do NOT let the DJ pick my music anymore, unless I really know him and can trust him not to play something stupid.

A little off-topic: There's a running joke at my club, because I use the stagename Candice, but for the sake of pronunciation with the Latin DJ's, spell it CandAce at work. (They would pronounce Candice as Candeece) Because of the spanish pronunciation of vowells, someone made a joke that CandAce (as they say, Cand-Ass) sounds like Candy Ass. I've been regularly introduced as Candy Ass ever since. Even some of the girls have started calling me Candy Ass! LOL But it sometimes makes for a fun icebreaker

Quote Originally Posted by pheno View Post
    When you lead a nontraditional life don't try to measure it with traditional milestones.

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Bridgette, Goody Two Shoes is a good stage song, do the little girl or librarian look with the dress. glasses and all and it comes off well. I doubt the rednecks could even figure out the Original Sin, so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Featured Member Devastating Divyne's Avatar
    Thanks

AS for the R.Kelley song: "U remind me of my Jeep"; Michael Jackson: truly talented, truly disturbed with selfimage problems, and if he DOES mess around with kids he's officially a skank, if not the media sucks.
    The worse song I ever had a DJ play for me was the original version of "The Metro" by Berlin. THe original is too weird, but there is a remix out there called "The Spud Sputnik Remix" that is hot as hell.
    I got the bad one because he was mad at me, and the most interesting was "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt. It was nowhere near Xmas! Instead of trying to dance through the whole thing when I realized what he was playing I grabbed a chair and put it on the stage, and thank goodness the customers were in a good mood. The lyrics of the song are very gold diggery and so I lipsynched it while stripping kinda showgirl style using the chair as a prop and flirted like hell with the customers. The lyrics about the convertible and ring were really cute cuz I had a customers hand me his S500 keys while I sang that part and another customer took my ring off my finger and slipped a huge diamond ring, mafia style diamond pinkie ring by the way, on my hand. All in all it was fun and the customers loved it. Everybody in the house kinda went back in time for a sec in the middle of July so be it, but it was still kinda cool.
    "Come what may although I often say realities come from dreams, but approach all lies with open eyes because NOthing in this world is EVER ALL it seems."

Thanks

I have had the "Changes" CD for several years and often play it for dancers who are Bowie fans. No one ever seems to like "Diamond Dogs" as much as I do, however. Thanks for trying to help.
    Changes is a kick ass album. I have some old school Bowie vinyl. Mmmm. Djoser, you ever venture over to Central Oregon, you could play Diamond Dogs for me. I loooove that song!!! Oh, or Rebel, Rebel.

love and cookies
    -smurf

You can't fight gravity, on a planet that insists, that love is like falling, and falling is like this...

Featured Member Devastating Divyne's Avatar
    Thanks

I just thought about this. This chick at a club I worked at danced to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". Yes, with all the fiddles and crap. This was just too weird.
    "Come what may although I often say realities come from dreams, but approach all lies with open eyes because NOthing in this world is EVER ALL it seems."

Thanks

I just thought about this. This chick at a club I worked at danced to "The Devil Went Down to Georgia". Yes, with all the fiddles and crap. This was just too weird.
    Yeah, no kidding. Someone played that for me, I'd laugh my arse off, then spend the rest of the time resisting my urge to slap my knees and such!

love and cookies
    -smurf

Thanks

I think it would require a gun to my head to get me to play that one, LOL, or a truly gigantic tip, which I would be morally obliged to share with the dancer who had to try it! I do know dancers who could probably pull that one off (Brandy, for one), and during Race Weeks gone by I have had crowds who would have loved it. But I generally resist kowtowing to rednecks, and made the most money I have yet just last year by riveting their eyes to the stage with White Zombie, Disturbed, Fear Factory remixes, etc.--Maria, Vanessa, and Destiny could do that. But now I'm repeating myself.

Actually I have always felt it to be the height of depravity to accept a large tip to play a wierd song and not make sure the dancer got her share, even if it meant I gave her half.

Djoser
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast