Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forbidden Songs

Featured Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Forbidden Songs

It's all a matter of the clientele and the individual stripper, when it comes to that song. At my most recent club, I did "Devil Went Down To Georgia" on a regular basis, and made great money off of it. Although personally I prefer "The Legen Of Woolly Swamp". I just made it part of my Southern rock sets, with "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" by the Georgia Satellites, and "Sweet Home Alabama" by Skynyrd or "Rocky Mountain Way" by Joe Walsh. Being an Alabama native who was working an Idaho club, it flew for me.

But I'll tell you a few things now about this kind of set:

"Sweet Home Alabama" is most effective when done in an outfit that incorporates the traditional Stars-And-Bars flag. Second best option is a Budweiser-logo outfit. With daisy dukes. And maybe a ballcap.

"Keep Your Hands To Yourself" should not be done by anyone who cannot inject some humor into it - i.e., wagging your finger at the guys, putting a little extra shake in the booty, blowing a kiss with a wink, etc. It falls flat if you take it too seriously.

"The Devil Went Down To Georgia" may seem funny to a lot of you, but have respect for the rare girl who uses it. It is one of the most difficult songs to dance to (aside from maybe "Cemetary Gates" and "Black Betty"), puts a lot of strain on the body, and requires balls to play in the face of any jokes. Trust me - it is not easy to pull off looking good while doing a cross between a line dance and a striptease to Charlie Daniels's fiddling!

Obviously these would forbidden in many clubs. But when you are working a neighborhood joint, and have a natural Southern accent, most guys can't resist it when these are occasionally pulled out and dusted off. So keep an open mind, even when it's something you find goofy.

McCain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to McCain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,067 Times in 2,638 Posts

As I said, Brandy could definitely pull that one off! And Princess could have, it sure would have worked with those rebel flags I painted on her breasts four or five times 2 years ago, but I wasn't DJing those nights. While I have painted and DJed at the same time about 200 times, I wouldn't try it during Bike Week! They were hard to paint the first time, but we got some tricks down to make 'em easier the next times.

The manager got mad if I spent too much time on Princess, even if she didn't mind, because he wanted her on the floor. Seeing as how she was as beautiful as she still is (I once put her onstage in jeans, flip-flops, no make-up, etc.,in an emergency--the guys went apeshit anyways), I didn't blame him...

Rocky Mountain Way is one of the hottest dinosaur rock songs, and for two years I sent it out to Summer, wherever I was DJing, because the woman danced so well to it! Well. I just ran into her at the Shark she's here for Bike Week from Columbus Ohio. I told her she had to request that song, and if she forgets tonight by God I will.

Djoser

PS I'm trying "The Pyschic DJ" thing to see if we can get Brandy into the Shark--if it works, I will paint rebel flags on her--she'd wear those well!--we'll get Indian to play "Devil..." for her, and we'll send it out to McCain--unless you'd rather we didn't.
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

Thanks

We have one girl at our club who uses a country song I just can't understand...
    "what Part of No don't you understand" Can't rememeber the artist.....
    I heard it yesterday thinking....... That's gonna kill any fanasty right off the bat.....
    There is a cheezy metal song I use to use that would fall inder this topic.
    I always had a great time dancing to it, and guys seemed to love it...
    "everything about you"
    By Ugly Kid Joe......
    With lyrics like
    " I hate everything about you
    I get sick when I around
    I hate every little thing about you "
    But it always seemed to go over well.
    There is no better buzz then busting a nut.......
    The Curve is more powerful then the sword .. Mae West

Thanks

THe puddle of mudd song, "never again", is really hard to dance too. The dj played it for me everytime I went up. I don't want to think about a female getting beat when I am onstage. "Jeremy" by pearl jam is also a no no! Stick to the fantasy and feel good songs!
    "...it was a queer shaped little creature, and held it's arms in all directions,'just like a starfish'" (carrol)

Featured Member
    Thanks

"Never Again" is by Nickelback.

McCain

Thanks

There is a dj in Oregon that thinks its real funny to play Neil Diamond. Ever try lap dancing to "Cracklin' Rosie"??

Promote yourself and earn more money! This is a business that is owned by strippers for strippers. Let's make that money!

Featured Member
    Thanks

Oh sweet jesus.... Another sadistic DJ.

For compatriot-sympathy, see other posts I have made about the DJ I had who made us do roll-calls to "Muskrat Love" by Captain and Tenille, and the "Get Happy" song by The Partridge Family. Personally, I would have preferred the Neil Diamond.

I wonder if anyone's DJ ever has them do Barry Manilow? I mean, "Mandy" is a great song, but I would thing a Barry Manilow DJ would still be considered sadistic...

McCain

Thanks

Where do these guys come from? Why are they still walking and talking? God knows I've seen, and been replaced with, some real losers (I've been having fun listening to the horror stories from the last two clubs I left. The fat old guy with the toupe is doing about how you'd expect). But Neil Diamond? Captain and Tenille? They should be strung up by their thumbs for playing that, even as a joke.

I confess I have played "Never Again" because it has such a great beat, but even though everyone always liked it, you are right about it being inappropriate. Definitely NOT sexy lyrics.

It's funny how a lot of songs have their decidely unsexy lyrics blithely ignored by the audience, and even some dancers, who actually ask for this stuff. "Jamie's Got a Gun" I have played many times for dancers who asked for it, and never had a problem or bad reaction. Not the first Aerosmith song I would pick!

One song I have only rarely and very reluctantly played is "Push" by Matchbox 20, a worthless song if I have ever heard one. The last time I played it I said at the end "We're sure as hell not going to push her around, put her down, or take Ashley for granted!" Maybe she got the point because she never asked for it again, which was great 'cuz she's way too sexy to dance to whining crap like that! The guy sounds as dumb as a box of rocks, like many new (and old, for that matter) rock stars.

Sorry all you Matchbox 20 fans...

I did hear their latest CD was pretty good, but could never get over "Push" or "3 AM" enough to listen to it.

Djoser

Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Featured Member
    Thanks

I don't know about it being a forbidden song, since I've made damn good money fromit, but "Blasphemous Rumours" by Depeche Mode... My God... I danced to it because I just loved the song and the melody, but you would think it wouldmake guys run screaming from the club. I mean, criminy, it's about some chick's failed suicide attempt and how she later ends up a vegetable and dies. But for some unfathomable reason, I've met plenty of guys who seemed to think it was just great.

Do guys even really listen to the music that we are playing at all? I've always joked that nobody would care if I played Mozart, so long as my clothes were coming off, but honestly....

One that is sweet for dancing but is just a bad choice seems to be "Be Careful" by Sparkle & R. Kelly.... The only time I've met anyone who liked it, it was because it was a night where I was the only girl willing to play anything remotely sounding like R&B.

BTW, the "Mad Season" CD by Matchbox 20 was much more solid than their first one. Some really great stuff on there, although I'm sure much of it may still be considered whiny by some. My personal favorite is "Rest Stop".

McCain

Thanks

Default Mozart, Commies, and Outlaws

They aren't listening to the lyrics...

Sad, but almost always true.

As long as the song sounds sexy and isn't the wrong genre for the audience, they could care less about the lyrics, with certain notable exceptions. It's hard to ignore Lil' Kim singing "Eat my Pussy Right", for instance, and I always make sure they DO listen to that one, LOL. But generally you don't have to worry.

I would definitely have gotten in trouble for playing Consolidated, the commie rockers, especially "America Number One", which if some of these guys I've had in the clubs were listening to, would have resulted in my being lynched before I could get fired. Especially after 9/11. The song has such a driving beat I play it all the time, without a problem, although I didn't at the last place I was at, with their ridiculous no-balls format.

During Bike Week I heard way too much country, especially too much Coe ("Long Haired Redneck" was a big hit) for my taste, but hey, it went over well with the Outlaws (ya, McCain, it was of course them, and from all over the world--I didn't want to say since I had already pushed it by painting their colors on Mystiques stomach. Call me paranoid, but I didn't want any more trouble from them, LOL.)

Actually I HAVE played Mozart--for Bailey the Booty Shakin' Queen. I had been saying she could shake her Booty to Beethoven, and one night it hit me, why not prove it! Walmart at 5:30 AM had no Beethoven, but they did have a Mozart "greatest hits". So next time I said that I played a 30 second clip (Clarinet Quintet in A Major, where it gets frenetic) and she proved she could, whereupon I told them it really was Mozart, not Beethoven, but they loved it anyways!

Djoser

Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Thanks

Here is a song that should be forbidden at a SC - "Superman" by Five for Fighting. I actually heard it at a club very recently. Turns out it was a customer request, and the customer actually provided the CD. The dancer on stage commented to me "this song really sucks to dance to". Even more humorous, as the song was winding down, the DJ made a big yawn into the mic and said "Okay great.. that was just fucking boring".

He made up for it by playing Metallica's "For Whom The Bell Tolls" right after it. I gave the DJ 10 bucks before I left and said "Thanks for saving us"

PJ

Thanks

That is too funny!

I right away learned to dread the approaching customer. Oh God, what is HE gonna want, and who in hell can I get that will dance to it!?!

The worst ones are the guys who want really old, hokey shit. Then there's the wigger (can we use the "W" word here?) that's gotta hear DMX when half the local Outlaws just walked in the door (though actually they aren't as intolerant of music as you might think, but DMX is NOT going to be my first choice, haha). Or the guy with the ten pound belt buckle that wants to hear Coe when my Enigma girl is next, my heavy metal girl is after her, and the one who will pitch a fit if you play anything by any white guy of any kind is up after that...

You'll notice that I am wasting my valuable time worrying about what to do, when I could just blow the f**ker off, like most other DJs do by nature, or are even required to do by mandate of management.

That's because I am very much a people person, and contrary to the impression I may have given (talking to the dancers, obviously) in my posts in the past here, care a great deal about the customers and keeping them happy as clams, spending their money and having a ball. I actually MUST leave the booth from time to time, to do a "crowd check", you can't really gauge the crowd by sitting in the booth all night.

If a guy is spending a bunch of money and keeping the girls happy I will damned well find out what he wants to hear, and find someone to dance to it, even if it means using all my powers of persuation on one of the dancers. The best way is to get the one he's spending the money on to do it, of course, but that doesn't always work. But guess what, that guy is going to come back, and when he does I'm going to give him a Royal welcome. I've never had much trouble keeping customers happy.

Except, of course, when there are the rude assholes who walk up like they have a mandate from God to arrange the playlist for the next hour, those guys don't get much slack from me. I'll never forget the guy who'd obviously played football somewhere, like I give a damn about that, LOL, who strode manfully up to the booth and announced imperiously...

"I wanna hear some Van Halen, and I wanna hear it NOW"

Well, I actually love a good Van Halen song now and then, superficial as most of them are, but guess what, he didn't hear any.

Getting more directly back on topic, I surely appreciate the warning about that song, Prester_John, I generally insist on listening to a strange or new song before I just throw it on there, but sometimes there's no time for that.

Here's another one of my least favorite songs right now, I don't know the name, it's a worthless rap song that keeps going...

"AY YAY YAY YAY, AY"

over over and over again, no rhythm or real beat to it, just a goddamn stupid song if I have ever heard one. I will NOT play that song...

Djoser
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Tonight I was in my prime, doing one lap after another, feeling sexy as hell. I had just finished a song with one of my all time favorite regulars, and I could tell that he was really ready to spend some money. I really had him excited and I could see it in his eyes. The mood was perfect....

and then the music came on: My Chocolate Salty Balls from the South Park soundtrack.

Moment ruined. Nothing like dancing to: "Suck on my chocolate salty baaaaaaalllllls...

But hey, we had a good laugh.

Thanks

I haven't heard it, but tell me, please, it doesn't have that stupid little-kid-sounding voice singing way the hell off-key, does it?!!

The only Southpark song I ever heard sounded like a retarded eight year old, and that DJ should have been strung up immediately, I don't give a damn how funny HE thought it was. If I was manager I would forbid it (what! Djoser, saying a manager should forbid something! Impossible!)

A lot of DJs don't realize that while it's possibly, sometimes, maybe a good idea to play a joke song, you can get the same effect without destroying utterly any kind of erotic mood that may have been painstakingly builtup; if you play the damned song for 30 SECONDS!

Instead of forcing everyone in the house, not to mention the poor girl onstage, to endure the same f**king joke we have heard for the last three weeks straight. For four endless, nerve-grating minutes.

I worked with a pretty good DJ in that last club that sucked, and one night when I was just hanging out there he put on that joke song that sounds like the Backstreet Boys "I Did It My Way" singing "Backstreet Boys are all gay", which is actually funny as hell, but at the time I was like "What the HELL is he playing THAT for", before I really heard the punch line. I can only imagine the reaction of some of those drunk rednecks that were in there that night...

I know there are a lot of Southpark fans out there, and more power to ya, but the little-kid voices always kind of ruined it for me. To each their own...

Djoser
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Thanks

I've actually had to dance to a remix of some John Denver song. I know it was John Denver b/c I would listen to it with my dad when I was little. Never would I have imagined STRIPPING to John Denver. He was either rolling over in his grave or tossing me dollars from the heavens. Either way, it was pathetic.

Another awful one.... the dance remix to Madonna's "Don't Cry For Me Argentina". That one I don't even have to explain.
    "Risk is the chance you take for opportunity."-Anonymous

Thanks

"suck on my chocolate salty balls" is preformed by issac hayes(of SHAFT fame) who currently does the voice of Chef on southpark

Just heard another one today that would be horrible:
    "Concrete Angel" by Martina McBride

McCain

Thanks

a dj played the up beat version of sesame street a few weeks ago....um, I now fully appreciate the girl who was on at the time because how are you supposed to be sexy and cute with sesame street in the background?

Thanks

Other song that don't make sense, even though I love them, are the hits by Mary Mary, "Shackles" and "In The Morning". Its gospel/inspirational. [nono] Do we really need gospel music playing while I make money by doing something that the bible thumpers would call a sin? Ummmm..... I don't think so.

-Fire
    "Risk is the chance you take for opportunity."-Anonymous

Thanks

"I've Got a Disease" by Matchbox 20 :o

Thanks

ack this lady at my club absolutely has to dance to "fancy" by reba mcintire (sp?) every time she's there. its bad enough that my club has a fairly bad rep from the girls that "will", but could we please keep the songs about 16 yr olds trickin' to get off welfareto a minimum, please?

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Consolidated has some great songs but it is commie rock! "America Number One" is one of the hardest hot dance songs ever, so I play it, but skip the part where he spouts off in beg., and they are all watching the girl so think he's singing about America being the "greatest country on earth"
    I'm actually a bit of a Consolidated fan, but yes, they're probably not appropriate gentleman's club music, particularly their song "No Answer for a Dancer." That one's sure to dump a collective bucket of ice water on your audience.

On that note, here are a few sure-fire flops:
    "Love Will Tear Us Apart," Joy Division
    "Shot Down in Flames," AC/DC
    anything by Johnny Cash

Thanks

Ya, that "No Answer for a Dancer" is an interesting song!

But not good for playing in a strip club, that's for sure...

Whatever happened to them?

They must be tearing their hair out over this Iraq stuff, LOL

"Dysfunctional Relationship" is another great song of theirs (great R&Bish sound), the lyrics of which preclude it's successful use in our venue.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Mark Pistel (who was responsible for most of the electronics) left the band, and they shifted to more of a rock sound. They released an album called "Dropped" a few years ago, but they seem to have disappeared from the map since then.

I refrain from playing them around AndriconGirl, particularly "No Answer."

Thanks

Damn straight. I have enough trouble having a feminist boyfriend, I don't need him playing feminist music around me too!
    "Just 'cause she dances go-go, that don't make her a 'ho, no.....called up my Mama, said 'I'm in love with this stripper yo.'"
    -Wyclef Jean

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast