Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the site been slower?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Has the site been slower?

It seems to me & girlfriday that the site has been running a bit sluggish. Has anyone else noticed or is it just our connection?
    We all imagine ourselves the agents of our destiny, capable of determining our own fate. But have we truly any choice in when we rise, or when we fall, or does a force larger than ourselves bid us our direction. Is it evolution that takes us by the hand, does Science point our way, or is it God who intervenes keeping us safe.

So much struggle for meaning, for purpose. And in the end, we find it only in each other. Our shared experience of the fantastic. And the mundane. The simple human need to find a kindred, to connect. And to know in our hearts... that we are not alone.
    Heroes

God/dess
    Thanks

Default Re:Has the site been slower?

Hiya pryce...

The site has been VERY slow! I noticed it earlier but just thought it was my comp.

Seraya

Thanks

I've had it slow today as well, I thought it was me too.

Thanks

ditto

Veteran Member
    Thanks

It's been really, really slow today. I have a super speedy computer and connection but it's still taking about 4 minutes for pages to load.

Thanks

Same here.. It's been VERY slow. I have DSL, so it's normally very very fast, and I speed through the site. But the past couple of days, when I click on a topic to read, it takes forever to load, only to display a "technical difficulties" page? I even tried rebooting a little while ago, to see if it was me, but I'm having the same problems.

Thanks

It' been slow for me, too...DSL here as well. Like the others, I assumed it was a problem on my end.
    Like the car, I'm exotic, erotic, and expensive....

Thanks

Yes it has been slow. I thought it was my computer too. I have cable modem. After I rebooted my computer, SW is still slow. I'm glad I saw this topic, I was going to call Comcast and ask them WTF was going on.
    "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand." - Bertrand Russell

"It's just a matter of people having low self esteem and being way too easily offended." -Random Guy on a Internet Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Katrine View Post
    Ya'll bitches need to calm down. Cerously.
    In other words: Boo-motherfucking-hoo

Thanks

From the "Newbie" board I learned that slow is sexy, but I still can't find the stage here.... Yeah, a very long time and sometimes no response between screens
    "Those who dance, are considered crazy by those who can't hear the music."--George Carlin

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all of the feedback. I've contacted my host and they're working on it. From what I can tell, I think we're just overloading the software. Lately, we've been hitting record numbers...averaging 60-90 people on at the same time. I'll see what we can do to accomodate everyone.
    We all imagine ourselves the agents of our destiny, capable of determining our own fate. But have we truly any choice in when we rise, or when we fall, or does a force larger than ourselves bid us our direction. Is it evolution that takes us by the hand, does Science point our way, or is it God who intervenes keeping us safe.

So much struggle for meaning, for purpose. And in the end, we find it only in each other. Our shared experience of the fantastic. And the mundane. The simple human need to find a kindred, to connect. And to know in our hearts... that we are not alone.
    Heroes

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I made a change that has improved the speed of the boards, but it's still not as fast as I'd like. Hrm, may be time to upgrade our service speed.

Heroes

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Yeah it is running slow. This was posted about 7 p.m. CST
    and it is taking about one to two minutes to load topic boards and sometimes longer to load individual topics.

In general the internet has been acting a bit strange for about a week. Had a couple of emails that took two entire days to be delivered to my electronic in box.

Thanks

Ironically, if its from the volume of activity recently, couldn't it be called eyez' revenge? The amount of chatter she's generated has slowed things to a halt.

And yes, I've noticed a significant slowdown, too.

God/dess
    Thanks

LOL Josh i was thinking the SAME thing.... definitely the eyez issue.

But i agree with nice guy the internet in general seems to be playing up..... that or we just have a slow connection or shit computers lol

Seraya.

Thanks

Thanks for the improvement, Pryce, It's been a little faster on this end. I was thinking the same thing though, site traffic could have been the culprit. I also noticed that when I signed off AOL (that is how I usually sign on to the site), and opened up Internet Explorer, there was a great difference in speed. Maybe AOL was contributing to the lagging?

Anyway, thanks again, Pryce!!!

:cool:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NVJosh link=board=11;threadid=6421;start=msg70573#msg7057 3 date=1076029333
    Ironically, if its from the volume of activity recently, couldn't it be called eyez' revenge? The amount of chatter she's generated has slowed things to a halt.

And yes, I've noticed a significant slowdown, too.
    Ditto !! lol..
    My new love...is me !

Even the greatest authority does not, ultimately, know you as you know yourself.
    Jhuka

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
    Maya Angelou

Thanks

Yes, something is definitely wrong. It takes forever to open a new page?? My computer is really fast and all other web sites open almost instantly. Time for Geeks on Call to take a look ......

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Site update. Posted at about 12:15 p.m. CST. All the boards seem back to normal response except the following.
    AFter four minutes of waiting on the "Lounge" (Old general board)
    it hangs and I can't get in at all. I interpret this as the 21st century version of an internet busy signal. ALot of users clogging the board up. Heavy traffic. The other tought one to get in is "Site Issues."
    About a two minute wait.

I am using a new P4 computer with every bell and whistle on capacity and have a DSL connection on a router system in my house.
    I've tested the DSL speed and it is 320 kps which is OK. (I thought SBC
    was giving me 720 kps.. but thats marketing for ya.) Generally the internet speed ifpor me here is pretty snappy if not as good as a corporate T1 or T3 line.

The rest of the the site boards have about the same wait time which is
    minimal. This is different than yesterday where all the boards had a "hang time."

Looks like a traffic jam for you on the "Lounge" board.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You'll now notice at the bottom center of each forum page there is now a "Page created in xx.xxx seconds" section. From what I can see when there are about 50 people on at once, forums and posts load in about 9 seconds. When there are 70+ people the forums and posts load in about 30 seconds. I'm working with the software and my webhost to see what we can do to accomodate everyone without raising the bills too much.

Our last ditch effort, if we can't find another solution, would be to require all readers to join as most (60%-80%) of the traffic is from "guests". That'll mean that the traffic will be reserved for those who've at least taken the time to register.

Heroes

Thanks

I agree Pryce. Members only. I have optonline and it slow like dial up.

Thanks

It seems slower than ever today, but I'm glad I found this thread so I know it's not just me.

Thanks

Yep, here too, and it seems to be getting worse. All the boards on SW seem to be affected (even at what I would call off peak hours).

SCJ loads like a charm though!
    Former SCJ now in rehab.

Thanks

69 seconds when there were 42 guests and 21members.
    I think someone on the server has a virus or worm.
    Loading the forums seems slower than pages within forums.

Thanks

No problems with SCJ, or any of the other sites I normally visit. Have you checked for any bugs or patches for the sofware you use? Or can you (or you ISP) increase the cache, memory, etc....to be maximized for SW, and decrease bandiwdth going to the IP that hosts SCJ (no offense junkies!)

Good luck!

"Have you ever been to American wedding? Where is the vodka, where's marinated herring?" - GB
    "And do the cats give a shit? No, they do not. Why? Because they're cats."-from The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Mia M
    If a cupcake was tossed at me... well, I'd only be upset if it missed my mouth

Thanks

Looking at the sourcecode, i can't see a reason for it being this slow.

Can someone currently on broadband Ping the server and tell me what they get?

Click Start
    Click Run
    Type "CMD"
    When the command prompt comes up type "Ping
    Tell me what you see.

Also

Try this...

Click Start
    Click Run
    Type "CMD"
    Type Tracert
    Tell me what you see.

Try to type it exactly as you see it.

I am currently on a dial up account, so it's useless for me to Ping or tracerout anything. I just need to see where the bottleneck is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast