Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Service Pack 2

God/dess
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Windows XP Service Pack 2

Anyone else downloaded this (Windows XP Service Pack 2) and are now having problems with text and saving things? I want to reinstall the reg xp with my os disk but it tells me I will loose things. I'm no computer expert so what will I loose????????
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Jay Zeno

Default Re:Windows XP Service Pack 2

PCWorld said to install it because of the security improvements. We installed it on one station. We had problems with certain programs not recognizing the printer, or vice versa, but we ended up getting that resolved. But I don't want to do that with every installation, so I'm biding my time on the others until Microsuck debugs it some more, based on the response from the market.

Generally when we've installed retro versions of an OS, it's been a pain in the ass. I'd be more inclined to limp along with SP2 and keep downloading the updates and see if they help.

I'm not answering your question directly, and I'm sorry about that. I have no idea what you'd lose in a reinstallation.

Thanks

Hmmm.. I have no idea Big Daddy. I installed SP2 last week, and haven't had any problems as of yet (luckily ers

God/dess
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's things like fonts are off and when I check my posts thru my profile I use to be able to hit back and then refresh and it would pull it up. Now I get this ...........An Error Has Occurred!

This field only accepts numbers from 0-9

Things like this drive me nucking futs!
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Thanks

Big Daddy, Back everything important up. Then you won't lose anything but a few CD's.

You just need to get rid of the annoying info bar. Right click it and click download when it annoys you over downloading something.

Damn, i hate that stupid thing.

Thanks

Maybe your version is just really uptight. Give it a lap dance and stroke the keys gently...tenderness always seems to get things "loosened up". heehee

Thanks

I just had my XP machine die...DAMN just when I was starting to trust Windows. Well, it's back to Mac for me (I never left, 90% of my work is Mac based...the XP machine was just for testing. Guess it's what needs to be tested.)

Good luck, and next time I suggest a Mac!

God/dess
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have never used a mac whats it like?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big_daddy link=board=1;threadid=13065;start=msg169884#msg169 884 date=1094330906
    Well, there are really technical terms to describe how much better a Mac is: Much fucking better.

There is also a reason why: More fucking money.

But, in the end, you get one result: No fucking crashes which happen on a consistent basis which pisses you off to no end, never mind the amount of time you waste trying to fix the problem and the number of hairs that were innocently lost due to the frustration encountered while dealing with problem. In the end, the Mac is so much fucking better.

Hope that helps you. LOL

Thanks

Unless you ask me...in which case I'll tell you that PC's are much fucking better.
    "The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
    -Humphrey Bogart

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."
    -Lady Astor to Winston Churchill
    "Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."
    -His reply

"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Thanks

Dude, I love my fucking Dell.. LOL

God/dess
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

My pc never has crashed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VenusGoddess link=board=1;threadid=13065;start=msg169943#msg169 943 date=1094336815
    Quote Originally Posted by big_daddy link=board=1;threadid=13065;start=msg169884#msg169 884 date=1094330906
    Well, there are really technical terms to describe how much better a Mac is: Much fucking better.

There is also a reason why: More fucking money.

But, in the end, you get one result: No fucking crashes which happen on a consistent basis which pisses you off to no end, never mind the amount of time you waste trying to fix the problem and the number of hairs that were innocently lost due to the frustration encountered while dealing with problem. In the end, the Mac is so much fucking better.

Hope that helps you. LOL
    Or you could just use Linux and save the money....

FREE operating system that works SOOOOO much better than Windows [glow=red,2,300]OR[/glow] a Mac...

Thanks

I downloaded SP2 and ended up spending two days reformatting my harddrive and reinstalling my software and data. I reinstalled XP and then SP2 before anything else and I have to admit that its works better now than it has for a year. The security features are much better.

Thanks

Joe you probably got a bum copy of SP2.

Thanks

The problem with SP2 and most users is that they don't purge their systems of spyware first!

Spyware that hooks into IE and the registry will make SP2 act funny (or not at all) on a lot of systems. Purge first, then install.

I have installed SP2 on all my client systems, save two. Custom code and code known to not function without modifying the SP2 firewall settings will not work correctly. So check your system health before you install. If you have problems with specific programs, go to this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242

In the end, the Mac is so much fucking better
    Someone has been affected by the Jobsian RDF.
    Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive.

William F. Buckley, Jr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big_daddy link=board=1;threadid=13065;start=msg170071#msg170 071 date=1094363464
    My pc never has crashed.
    You might be one of the few.

As for the service pack. It is always my advice is let the first wave of user to get it. YES Microsoft says get it but these problems have been around. you have needed it.
    Most of these things that your are upgrading are for hackers to get into your computer. If you dont' have anything on your comp that is valuable relaxe it isn't going to hurt you. If you keep your virus software uptodate you should be ok.
    Microsoft has all kinds of bugs and they love to release things before THEY work them out. I got a message from my DSL provider not to upgrade unless I do this and that because my dsl won't work.

If you all remember Microsoft ME(milinium edition) it was the worse version of Microsoft out their. The released it way to early just to get it out. It ends up most of ME is XP.

So my advice is if you haven't d/l wait for a nother week or so let the bugs be worked out.

As for what happens when you installed it? Well if you have the option you can roll back to the last WORKING Point in your computer. Your computer will set up restore points if you have that set on your comp. That is what I suggest. Don't reinstall XP cause like it says it will write over all the stuff you have and loose it.

Major adice next time wait for software to be worked out, software always has bugs in it even computer games and other stuff. That is why they are always give you patches.

As for MAC vs PC, Mac is good for one thing and one thing only. GRAPHICS, they make photoshop and graphics great but for anything else go with PC. What good is text for a MAC when everyone else is on PC. IT is kinda like the US vs other countries. US makes everyone speak English but do WE try to learn any other language? Okay going off on another subject LOL

Always fun to have till you have a problem LOL

God/dess
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Joe what do you do to do what you did?

Thanks

Linux.

Nuff said.

Thanks

If you dont' have anything on your comp that is valuable relaxe it isn't going to hurt you. If you keep your virus software uptodate you should be ok.
    Not to be a prick, but this is terrible advice. Virus software will not protect you from open ports or spyware hijacking scripts. And whether or not you have anything valuable on your machine is irrelevant to protecting your machine; you should protect it in order to prevent your system from being taken over for spamming or DDOS attacks. Install SP2 and buy a router if you have a high-speed internet connection.

If you all remember Microsoft ME(milinium edition) it was the worse version of Microsoft out their. The released it way to early just to get it out. It ends up most of ME is XP.
    This is completely false.

Win9X and WinME used a totally different codebase than WinXP. Totally different. They are so different in so many ways, I couldn't possibly list them all here, but the biggies are better TCP/IP stacks, the introduction of the HAL, vastly improved preemptive multitasking and protected memory, security-based account types, et al.

Don't reinstall XP cause like it says it will write over all the stuff you have and loose it.
    Barring a hardware failure (dead hard drive) you should never have to reinstall WinXP. Ever. You can run the Windows Recovery Console and repair your installation. In severely compromised registries, you can repair WinXP at the HIVE level if needed, by following the instructions on this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q307545

WinXP is a real OS; it's relatively easy to repair if damaged. This ain't anything like Win9X/ME.

William F. Buckley, Jr.

Thanks

d: Linux d:

Thanks

^ Maybe for servers and for technical desktops (preferential to Enterprise RH myself), but for everyone else, it's going to be Mac/Windows for a long, long time.

The Linux community is great at creating features and functions and terrible at creating finished, usable products that don't require an intimate working knowledge of UNIX/Linux. The Open Source community is its own greatest strength and weakness simultaneously--they make lots of code, but aren't really interested in getting new folks onboard if they don't subscribe to the geek attitude. In other words, Grandma wanting to do email and the internet need not apply. Xandros and the like might change this eventually, but not anytime soon.

William F. Buckley, Jr.

Thanks

Casual...

Admit it, it would be a better place with open source. Wouldn't it?

Fuck, how can you beat free?

Thanks

^ Linux is only free if your time has no value.

William F. Buckley, Jr.

Thanks

Casual_Observer is right on all accounts.

Like Madcap, I too wish the linux community could get their act together and overthrow Bill's draconian empire.

VG, "uptight code", LMAO, toooo funny.

Yep, Mac is very stable/good and probably more than enough for the average user.

Big_Daddy to answer your original question, in laymans terms you may lose some windows set up configurations. You may need to reinstall some of your third party programs or updates, maybe some third party drivers, reset passwords and registration numbers and reconfigure some default settings, ...maybe. Your data sitting in other folders WILL NOT be harmed.

Isn't there already over 20 hotfixes ready for SP2?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips624.html
    http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/45-p1.php
    "Peter, did you take Stewie to a strip-club? He smells like sweat and fear." - Lois and Stewie (Family Guy) "Through early morning fog I see, Visions of the things to be, The pains that are withheld for me, I realize and I can see...", "Please give the admins time to repair without you all creating drama" -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast