Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading Material

Featured Member
    Thanks

Smiley Reading Material

I'm going to drag my mind out of the gutter for a moment.

There are a lot of really interesting and intelligent people posting on these boards. I'm curious--what are you all reading these days? Also, what are some of your ATF books--the ones you recommend to people whenever you get the chance?

Anything goes--fiction, non-fiction, even favorite periodicals.

I'll post my own recommendations in a little bit.

Thanks,

Nicolina

Thanks

Smiley Re: Reading Material

I am currently re-reading the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell Hamilton in anticipation of reading the new one, Incubus Dreams which I just got.

After that, I will probably pick up the "Blood" series by P.N. Elrod because I am in a "Vampire" kind of mood

Also, I pick up "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart presents America the Book: A citizens guide to democracy inaction" at least once every couple of days. That book has me laughing to the point of tears.

Hey...you asked.
    "See, believe it or not (and I don't care whether you do), it's never been about the sex. I get sex at home, anytime, and we like it, and it's good for both of us. No, my stripclub experience has been about acceptance, and affirmation, and desirability...There have been some women who have a personality that just clicks with mine, and in the faux-sex atmosphere of the club, it's a mix that is completely seductive." - Jay Zeno

Jay Zeno

Default Re: Reading Material

I haven't read much for pleasure, at least in terms of books, for about 10 years. Kinda depressing.

My all-time favorite books are probably "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

When I was in college, I was strangely affected by "When the Legends Die," by Hal Borland; "Siddhartha," by Herman Hesse; and "The Good Earth," by Pearl Buck.

"The Seven Pillars of Wisdom," by T.E. Lawrence (aka Lawrence of Arabia), came highly recommended, and the imagery and passion exploded off the pages, but at the time, I just couldn't afford the time and attention to get through it.

Featured Member
    Thanks

I loved Zen and the Art of MM, Jay! Good book! Mockingbird, too.

I haven't read most of the others, but The Good Earth, in particular, has been on my list of stuff to read for a long time...

Thanks

Oh, oh, oh. Based on what you have posted here you will love (in fact please allow me to capitalize LOVE) Mary Gaitskill. Critically, her short stories were better received, but I personally recommend her novel "Two Girls Fat and Thin". I truly believe that novel is a beautiful thing. Read it; I beg you. And then post what you think. Incidentally - Mary Gaitskill was a stripper back in the 1970's. Here in Toronto, as a matter of fact, even though I think she is from somewhere in the US Midwest. Don't worry - although she writes a great deal about sex workers (mostly hookers) she isn't at all precious about it (like no "oh look at me, look at me! Check out how counter-culture I am!!!)
    Aother favourite is Barbara Gowdy - best known for "We So Seldom Look On Love", but I really loved "Mr. Sandman."
    Also JT Leroy "Sarah" - there are no words for this. I actually emailed him afterwards and told him (although I know I just said there were no words) that his book had the same sweet, compulsive pain of sticking your tongue into a cavity. He said I probably needed to have my teeth examined. Once you pile on top of that the fact that he was 19 when he wrote it, it just kills you. Like, by the time he is forty he will just DESTROY Vonnegut in a literary arm wrestle. Like in the remake of "The Fly" where the one guy breaks the other guys arm? Except metaphorically.
    Finally, Anne Marie MacDonald "Fall On You Knees" - if you do not cry at some point you are inhuman. You are probably one of David Icke's lizard-aliens and must be destroyed.
    These are recent-contemperary-fiction picks. I read a lot.
    I have taught that the sky in all its zones is mortal and its substance was formed by a process of birth

Featured Member
    Thanks

As a matter of fact, I DO love Mary Gaitskill, Jenny (though I haven't actually read "Two Girls" in its entirety.) I loved Bad Behavior, though (read it when it first came out.) Thanks, that was a pretty thoughtful recommendation! Thanks for the others as well...I'll check them out. I was hoping you'd post in this thread. Any non-fiction suggestions?
    -Nic

Thanks

Currently reading Jared Diamond's Collapse: How Societies Choose to Succeed or Fail.
    Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive.

William F. Buckley, Jr.

Featured Member
    Thanks

CO, I love Jared Diamond. He rocks! I just finally read Guns, Germs & Steel this past summer. Great book! I highly recommend.

Thanks

Currently reading Kinky Friedman "Kill two Bird and Get Stoned". So far I'm not that impressed. I've read everything he has written and I kind of like that it all the same. These characters aren't very likeable so far.

"Have you ever been to American wedding? Where is the vodka, where's marinated herring?" - GB
    "And do the cats give a shit? No, they do not. Why? Because they're cats."-from The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Mia M
    If a cupcake was tossed at me... well, I'd only be upset if it missed my mouth

God/dess
    Thanks

Finally getting around to Everything is Illuminated which is highly entertaining. Hee, Elijah Wood, who is starring in the film version, was in my elevator this morning.

Just finished off Sewer, Gas and Electric which I preferred to Fool on the Hill. Neither of those are as good as Set This House in Order, though.

I also just read about thirty Doonesbury paperback collections my man unearthed after we moved. Good times.

Featured Member
    Thanks

OK, here are some of mine:

Currently reading:
    *The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution - Richard Dawkins

Here are some ATF's:

Fiction:
    ***LOLITA*** The Ultimate. Nabokov's lovesong to the English language.
    **Giovanni's Room- James Baldwin. Also Another Country.
    **Cannery Row- my favorite Steinbeck. East of Eden is good too, of course.
    **Song of Solomon-and anything else by Toni Morrison
    *Einstein's Dreams-Alan Lightman
    *Almanac of the Dead - Leslie Marmon Silko. Difficult, but worth it.
    * Tracks and Love Medicine and anything else by Louise Erdrich
    *The Book of Laughter and Forgetting -Milan Kundera (I liked it better than the Unbearable Lightness of Being)
    *Their Eyes Were Watching God*-Zora Neale Hurston
    *Play It As It Lays; A Book of Common Prayer - Joan Didion
    *Breakfast at Tiffany's - Truman Capote
    (of course: Crime and Punishment.)

Non-Fiction/Essay/Memoir:

*Iron and Silk - Mark Salzman (a must for anyone interested in martial arts or Chinese culture)
    *Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain (This is a highly entertaining read. I think professional chefs are the male equivalent of strippers in terms of sensibilities and lifestyle choices.)
    *Strip City-Lily Burana (kind of like one long NATO report for you SCJs who haven't read it.)
    *The Education of Little Tree - Forrest Carter
    **The Song of the Dodo: Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinctions - David Quammen
    *Slouching Toward Bethlehem, and other Didion essays
    *The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language - Steven Pinker
    *The Beak of the Finch - Jonathan Weiner (evolution in action.)
    ***Naked - David Sedaris. All his stuff is great.
    Travelling Mercies - Anne Lamott
    The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
    The Man Who Ate Everything - Jeffrey Steingarten

Poems: Dogs in Lingerie , by Danielle Willis. She worked in the Industry. I think most of the girls who post here would get it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolina
    **Cannery Row- my favorite Steinbeck. East of Eden is good too, of course.
    *The Book of Laughter and Forgetting -Milan Kundera (I liked it better than the Unbearable Lightness of Being)
    *Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain (This is a highly entertaining read. I think professional chefs are the male equivalent of strippers in terms of sensibilities and lifestyle choices.)
    These are some of my favorites too!! I totally have a chef fetish!

My ATF favorite classic is Brave New World.

"Have you ever been to American wedding? Where is the vodka, where's marinated herring?" - GB
    "And do the cats give a shit? No, they do not. Why? Because they're cats."-from The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Mia M
    If a cupcake was tossed at me... well, I'd only be upset if it missed my mouth

Thanks

My favourite classic is "Villette" by Bronte (I know, I really NEED to be a librarian; I just need to get me a cat and some glasses and grow my hair long enough to wear up in a bun. I would, seriously, make such an awesome librarian). I remember in college when I disgusted many of my classmates in suggesting that Emma and Harriet (in "Emma") were sexually involved (like I was the first person to come up with THAT theory) and that Lucy Snowe was a voyeur same-sex predilictions.
    I have taught that the sky in all its zones is mortal and its substance was formed by a process of birth

Thanks

James Joyce, A portrait of an artist as young man, Ulysses, Finnegans Wake.

Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Naomi Wolf, The Beauty Myth

The Q letters

Wolf Electric Kool aid acid test

Baldwin Giovanni’s Room

la rousse gastronomique

Vonnegut’s Cat's Cradle,

The Professional Chef, 4th edition.

Thanks

Gee...guess my recreational reading really isn't all that enlightening since I read mostly the mainstream stuff: Clancy, Grisham, Eddings, Crichton, Cussler, etc. Although, I have found myself a little bored with some of these guys' most recent work (except for Crichton...read both of his last two books in a day). I need to find some alternatives, I guess.
    I'm a simple man, making my way through the universe.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow

Damn, you guys are way over my head. I read so much serious stuff at work, when I read for pleasure its escapism.

I love all the JD Robb books (Nora Roberts). Ive read about 20 of them but I anxiously await the next. I recently dusted off some '80's vintage Conan books by various authors. Conan's simplistic way of dealing with women is food for thought for a junkie LOL Plus he kicks ass against demons, warlocks etc. Jeff Schirra (sp?) wrote two historical fiction books about the American Revolution which were awesome. I read those when I was feeling serious

FBR
    Once again I have embraced my addiction and have put off the moral dilemma to another day.

Thanks

Being an English major, you'd think I would read more, but I way more into the composition aspect of it than the literary part.

But my three favorite novels:

J.D. Salinger - "The Catcher In The Rye"
    Douglas Adams - "Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy"
    Robert Heinlein - "Stranger In A Strange Land"

Favorite short story:

Shirley Jackson - "The Lottery"

Other than that, I just read how to books, magazine articles, and the newspaper a lot. Either online or at the library.
    Former SCJ now in rehab.

God/dess
    Thanks

Damn, when do you all find the time.

I don't know that I have any favorite books, lots of authors I like though, most of it pretty mainstream, people like Michael Crichton, John Grisham, Carl Hiaason, and W.E.B. Griffin.

Last book I read was "Skin City" by Jack Sheehan, it's about the Las Vegas sex industry. Pretty good read as I enjoy Vegas, nothing real shocking about it though.

As for short stories, MW writes a great TR, and Kat writes a pretty entertaining NATO report.

Jay Zeno

I loved Zen and the Art of MM, Jay! Good book! Mockingbird, too.
    In varying ways, those books changed my life. I guess that qualifies for making the top of one's personal list.

Featured Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Katrine
    These are some of my favorites too!! I totally have a chef fetish!
    You are just too cute for words, Kat .

Featured Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Head
    Damn, when do you all find the time.
    RH, didn't you know? That's what we strippers do with all our free time OTC. We read really good books .

Thanks

I'm currently reading Bob Dylan's Chronicles Vol. I and am enjoying it a lot.
    A fat chick is like a big, warm, comfortable pillow that you can also have sex with....

Thanks

RH, didn't you know? That's what we strippers do with all our free time OTC. We read really good books .
    What? Are you telling me that strippers aren't 24-hour-a-day around the clock sex vixens? I knew I shouldn't be reading these web sites.
    A fat chick is like a big, warm, comfortable pillow that you can also have sex with....

Thanks

Hey - I am betting that these ladies are very sexy when they read.

Featured Member
    Thanks

Y'know Jenny, a lot of guys have a librarian fetish, I've found. On the rare occasion that I'd wear my glasses in the club, I'd always have a number of drooling guys tell me that I looked like a librarian and it was making them hot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast