Thread: 60 years later, was fighting WW2 really worth it ?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,563 Times in 4,646 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

Default 60 years later, was fighting WW2 really worth it ?

some politically incorrect but factually indisputable observations ...

(snip)"Bush told the awful truth about what really triumphed in World War II east of the Elbe. And it was not freedom. It was Stalin, the most odious tyrant of the century. Where Hitler killed his millions, Stalin, Mao, Ho Chi Minh, Pol Pot and Castro murdered their tens of millions.

Leninism was the Black Death of the 20th Century.

The truths bravely declared by Bush at Riga, Latvia, raise questions that too long remained hidden, buried or ignored. "(snip)

~
    Last edited by Melonie; 05-11-2005 at 07:11 PM.

Jay Zeno

Default Re: 60 years later, was fighting WW2 really worth it ?

So had we not fought WWII:

All of Europe would be under Naziism, including Great Britain. Democracy in France, Belgium, Italy, Spain, England, Greece, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovak, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland - gone as democracies or even as individual countries. The Balkans would be a little more orderly, I'll grant that.

Guaranteed, no Israel. In fact, perhaps no Jews living, except undercover, outside of the Western Hemisphere.

Japan as an economic and military superpower, with its own natural resources to call on from Asia and possibly Australia.

The U.S. and Canada as isolated democracies.

Russia might have survived, might not. If it did, there's no guarantee that Communism wouldn't still be an ongoing force in much of middle Asia.

Don't get me wrong. What went down at Yalta was repugnant, and it's taken us 40 and 50 and 60 years to recover from it. But to say we should've stayed out of WWII is not only throwing away the baby with the bath water but burning half the house down, too.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Zeno
    So had we not fought WWII:

All of Europe would be under Naziism, including Great Britain. Democracy in France, Belgium, Italy, Spain, England, Greece, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovak, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland - gone as democracies or even as individual countries. The Balkans would be a little more orderly, I'll grant that.

Guaranteed, no Israel. In fact, perhaps no Jews living, except undercover, outside of the Western Hemisphere.

Japan as an economic and military superpower, with its own natural resources to call on from Asia and possibly Australia.

The U.S. and Canada as isolated democracies.

Russia might have survived, might not. If it did, there's no guarantee that Communism wouldn't still be an ongoing force in much of middle Asia.

Don't get me wrong. What went down at Yalta was repugnant, and it's taken us 40 and 50 and 60 years to recover from it. But to say we should've stayed out of WWII is not only throwing away the baby with the bath water but burning half the house down, too.

Agreed.

Thanks

The way I look at it, Europe was liberated, it just took about 50 years. Personally, I don't think we should be too quick to critize Churchill & FDR for what went on at Yalta. They had been at war for years, thousands dead, a war still to fight in Asia. Can we really blame them for not standing up to Russia the way we wish they had?
    Dancing is wonderful training for girls, it's the first way you learn to guess what a man is going to do before he does it. ~Christopher Morley, Kitty Foyle

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Apparently some here believe that a murderous right-wing, totalitarian dictator-tyrant is only one tenth as bad as a murderous left-wing, communist dictator-tyrant.

To me it is like comparing the progression of death from one type of cancer over that from another type of cancer.
    I loved going to strip clubs; I actually made some friends there. Now things are different for the clubs and for me. As a result I am not as happy.

Customers are not entitled to grope, disrespect, or rob strippers. This is their job, not their hobby, and they all need income. Clubs are not just some erotic show for guys to view while drinking.

NOTE: anything I post here, outside of a direct quote, is my opinion only, which I am entitled to. Take it for what you estimate it is worth.

Thanks

We sure do a lot of talking about something that happened half a century ago.

It seems whenever we need to kick up America's spirit, we go on about all those fine people of nearly three generations ago.

I watch Ollie North's War Stories and a lot of the time it is about WW II and I am like "This isn't all that relevent to me now. It was way before I was born. It is about political systems that we don't need to worry about. The trouble is religion and terrorism these days."

But we go on and give ourselves a pat on the back for "saving the world" back when Britain literally still had colonies.

We will just skip over Korea and Viet Nam. The only place you hear about those practically are on PBS and The History Channel. They have no propaganda feel-good about them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny
    The way I look at it, Europe was liberated, it just took about 50 years. Personally, I don't think we should be too quick to critize Churchill & FDR for what went on at Yalta. They had been at war for years, thousands dead, a war still to fight in Asia. Can we really blame them for not standing up to Russia the way we wish they had?
    Not to mention most of the battles were to free people from Japanese and Nazi occupiers.

Should we have gone into Russia, then we would have been the occupiers and that is a whole different kind of war.

Jay Zeno

Quote Originally Posted by Deogol
    We will just skip over Korea and Viet Nam. The only place you hear about those practically are on PBS and The History Channel. They have no propaganda feel-good about them.
    Korea and Vietnam were localized wars. Like the Balkans and Kashmir conflicts, they didn't have the global and historical impact of WWII. (We did effectively bring South Korea back from invasion, and Vietnam was just about all mistake.)

WWII was staggering in its historical, economic, geopolitical, and moral scope. It's worth talking about. So are other wars and historical events, but there's just not quite as much there to discuss.