Thread: Low fat, low carb and low sugar?

God/dess
    Thanks

Low fat, low carb and low sugar?

Ok I would like to get this straight:

Everytime I go to the grocery store I see all kinds of foods that promote low or no fat, carb, or sugar. Ive tried all 3 and I like low fat because it tastes better. Besides that are there benefits from being on a low fat, sugar and carb diet?

Ive been doing well on taking in the right amount of complex carbs for my caloric needs and doing well on low fat as well. I still limit my sugar intake by not adding any table sugar into my drinks or food.

Basically is one of these better than the other?
    you live like an ivy vine
    you can only survive by clinging onto trees
    that's your flaw
    put down some roots so you can stand on your own
    -Kenpachi

God/dess
    Thanks

Default Re: Low fat, low carb and low sugar?

I did a little search before I started this thread but didnt find much on what exactly what I wanted to know. No opinions anyone????......
    that's your flaw
    -Kenpachi

Thanks

If you eat a diet close to nature it will be naturally low in sugar, moderate in the RIGHT carbs and moderate in fat and protein. Golden rule, if it comes in a packet then don't buy it Then you will not have to worry about what the label says ...

Don't buy into the low fat stuff, your body needs fat to burn fat. Alot of low fat products have extra 'fillers' to give them flavour.

For me right now all my carbs come from fruit n vege, lots of lean protein (fish and free range chicken breast) and fats from nuts and flaxseed oil etc
    www.thepaleodiet.com

But you have to experiment and find out what works for you, keep it natural, keep it simple and don't get to carry away with the numbers and details

You might want to also check out http://www.mercola.com/ and http://www.westonaprice.org/ there are also a couple of good articles on my links page on my site http://www.kristi-trinity.com/links.html "you are what you eat" x 3

Thanks

Totally agreed with Krys. The stuff they use to be able to label "Low/No ________" is usually worse than just eating the original stuff anyways.

Although more expensive, start your shopping at natural food stores. You'll feel so much healthier.

I started reading labels again...and I cannot believe some of the stuff that they put in some food. My daughter also was breaking out with Eczema...while I was "saving" money and buying cheapie foods. I switched to shopping at Whole Foods again and make sure that she drinks plenty of water and eats lots of fruits (she doesn't like veggies yet) and fish and free-range chicken...and the eczema has gone away.

BTW...when you see a package at the store that says "Zero Trans Fat"...that doesn't mean that there is no trans fat. It just means that there is less than 0.45% trans fat found in the food. Which, if you eat that one thing is fine...but if you eat something like that 5-6 times a day...it adds up. So...if a product says "Hydrogenated/Partially Hydrogenated" anything on it...it has trans fat...no matter what it claims to have or not have.

Learn how to read your labels...and remember that if it sounds too good to be true...it is.

Thanks

Food labels 101 (its a good start): http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness30.htm

You are What you eat (great article): http://www.chekinstitute.com/articles.cfm?select=42

God/dess
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice and clearing it up for me. I always like learning better ways to drop pounds and to stay healthy. The websites are great and help alot too. I will take all this in considering better foods and balance when I eat.
    that's your flaw
    -Kenpachi

Pamela

Low fat, low carb, and low or no sugar sounds just what atkins (sp) was into.

We need carbs, but the good ones, they are fuel for our bodies!!!!

Pamela

Thanks

Although more expensive, start your shopping at natural food stores. You'll feel so much healthier.

I started reading labels again...and I cannot believe some of the stuff that they put in some food. My daughter also was breaking out with Eczema...while I was "saving" money and buying cheapie foods. I switched to shopping at Whole Foods again and make sure that she drinks plenty of water and eats lots of fruits (she doesn't like veggies yet) and fish and free-range chicken...and the eczema has gone away.
    Completely concur. Once you've purged the toxins of processed and chemically treated food from your system, you'll find that the produce aisle and the organic meat section is your friend. All sorts of chronic conditions in people can be directly attributed to poor diet and lifestyle choices--acne, joint swelling/pain, dry skin/scalp, digestive conditions, et al.

It's tough at first, because your body is literally addicted to the refined grain and sugar products that so many of us were raised on--which is why you crave shit like pasta and bread when you're changing your diet; the sugars contained within those foods are what make them taste good. Basically, if it's not displayed on the shelf as it comes from nature, you should severely restrict or eliminate your intake of that food. It's not hard once you start doing it if you have discipline and a desire to look and feel better, but it is a process to get there, since you have to get your body used to being deprived of the bad stuff.

Besides, once you've made the change, it makes the occasional flourless chocolate tort after dinner much better.

Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive.

William F. Buckley, Jr.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,716 Times in 10,180 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Check out wildoats.com. The stores are not in all states, but I LUV their stuff.
    Characterize people by their actions, & you'll never be fooled by their words.

AudreyLeigh

I dont know if they have Whole Foods Market where you live but is a supermarket where everything on the label is readable and understandable... EVERYTHING in the deli and stuff has every ingredient on the tag, etc... no processed foods. its a great store and i MISS is from when i lived in LA... closest one to me in an hour each way so i rarely go...