Thread: *another* survey for a paper--but this one's by a stripper!

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Default *another* survey for a paper--but at least this one's by a stripper! *wink*

Hey everyone. I am doing a paper for a gender class and I'd love it if some of you could answer a few questions for me. I know I get frustrated when I feel "studied," but hopefully many of you won't mind so much since I actually am a stripper and not just an academic voyeur! If this post is just horribly offensive, please delete it and accept my sincere apology.

My paper won't be used for anything but determining a portion of my grade for my class. I don't intend to publish it, but I will share it with individuals who express interest in reading it (including members of this board; just PM me). I won't be using any names or pseudonyms found here, although I might quote respondants who are willing, using a different pseudonym, if necessary. I will check with the person first before I do that. No one's answers will be reprinted in whole in the paper, although everyone's responses will be available to my teacher at her request. The risks for participating are the same risks one has in giving out any kind of personal information on the web--so please take that into account when replying.

Feel free to contact me with questions or comments about the paper or the survey. You can PM your answers to me, or post them as a reply here. Please reply as soon as you can. Thanks in advance.
    Please answer as many questions as possible, but feel free to ignore those with which you are not comfortable. In addition, please feel free to add any information that will help clarify your answers, or things you think might I might find useful.

Edited to add: thanks in advance to everyone who reads this, and extra thanks to everyone who responds!

I've edited this a lot, actually. Edits will now be in BOLD. If I edit it again after you reply, it's completely up to you if you want to add to your answers or not.

here it is:

Email address or preferred way to contact you if necessary (AIM, LJ, etc):

What is your age?

What is your race?

For how long have you danced?

In which part of the country do you dance?

Do you dance in a city, suburb, or rural area?

What is the racial makeup of dancers at your club? What about customers, in an average week? (example: 80% white, 15% black, 5% Asian)

How much money do you earn on average per night (USD)?

What does the average customer spend per visit (USD)?

Is your club no contact, one-way contact, or two-way contact? (What is enforced, not the “official” rules.)

What are your boundaries for acceptable client behavior?

If you date men, what race do you tend to date?

Note: “client” in this survey refers to male clients only.

How much does the average black client spend (USD) during a visit to your club?
    0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+
    How much does the average white client spend (USD) during a visit to your club?
    0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+
    How much does the average Hispanic client spend (USD) during a visit to your club?
    0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+
    How much does the average Asian client spend (USD) during a visit to your club?
    0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+

EDITED TO ADD: For the above figures, do you feel your earnings are within the average for each section, or do you feel that certain races spend less or more than the average on you personally?

In general, how well do black clients respect the boundaries set forth by you and the club? (with 10 being “always”)
    not at all.........................always
    In general, how well do white clients respect the boundaries set forth by you and the club? (with 10 being “always”)
    In general, how well do Hispanic clients respect the boundaries set forth by you and the club? (with 10 being “always”)
    In general, how well do Asian clients respect the boundaries set forth by you and the club? (with 10 being “always”)

How comfortable are you approaching/dancing for black men?
    (with 10 being “always”)
    How comfortable are you approaching/dancing for white men?
    (with 10 being “always”)
    How comfortable are you approaching/dancing for Hispanic men?
    (with 10 being “always”)
    How comfortable are you approaching/dancing for Asian men?
    (with 10 being “always”)

EDITED TO ADD:

How often do you approach/dance for black men?
    (with 10 being “if I am free, I approach them”)
    never.........................if I am free, I approach them
    How often do you approach/dance for white men?
    How often do you approach/dance for Hispanic men?
    How often do you approach/dance for Asian men?

also--sorry for the stodgy format for all this--I was going to code this as an actual survey to post on the web but wasn't able to do it. The answers are repetitive because I thought it would help me code faster if I didn't have to scroll a lot to maintain consistency.
    Last edited by abadvi; 12-04-2005 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: *another* survey for a paper--but this one's by a stripper!

here it is:

-PM me

What is your age?
    What is your race?
    -Black/African American
    -9 months
    -NYC
    -Currently in the city (well, Brooklyn, so a borough)
    What is the racial makeup of dancers at your club? What about customers, in an average week? (example: 80% white, 15% black, 5% Asian)
    -Dancers: 85% black, 14.9% latino, one or two caucasians and one asian
    -Custys: 70% black, 20% latino, 10% white and a few asians (not enough to create a percentage)
    -$225/night average
    -$150-200/visit, often more
    Is your club no contact, one-way contact, or two-way contact? (What is enforced, not the “official” rules.)
    -Two-way contact
    -During lapdances, I allow bare breast touching and the bottom half only through a g-string/shorts/clothing and in moderation. On stage, I will allow butt smacking depending on the mood and if the guy is tipping and not rude
    - It's a mix. I've dated black, white, asian and latino pretty equally

0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+ <----
    0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100 <---
    100-150
    150+
    How much does the average Hispanic client spend (USD) during a visit to your club?
    0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150 <---
    150+
    0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100 <---
    100-150
    150+

In general, how well do black clients respect the boundaries set forth by you and the club? (with 10 being “always”)
    In general, how well do white clients respect the boundaries set forth by you and the club? (with 10 being “always”)
    In general, how well do Hispanic clients respect the boundaries set forth by you and the club? (with 10 being “always”)
    In general, how well do Asian clients respect the boundaries set forth by you and the club? (with 10 being “always”)
    (with 10 being “always”)
    -9 for approaching, 10 for dancing
    (with 10 being “always”)
    -7 for approaching, 8.5 for dancing
    (with 10 being “always”)
    -8 for approaching, 10 for dancing
    (with 10 being “always”)
    -7.5 for approaching, 10 for dancing

I hope that helped.

242_fair

May I ask, if you are writing about gender themes, why does your survey have so many questions about how much money dancers are making?

Thanks

Email address or preferred way to contact you if necessary (AIM, LJ, etc): You can send me a private message through stripperweb

What is your age? 27

What is your race? Caucausion

For how long have you danced? 3 and a half years

In which part of the country do you dance? South Carolina

Do you dance in a city, suburb, or rural area? small city

What is the racial makeup of dancers at your club? What about customers, in an average week? (example: 80% white, 15% black, 5% Asian) custies 80% white, 15% Latino, 5% African American. Entertainers, 80% white, 15% African American, 5% Asian.

How much money do you earn on average per night (USD) I don't feel comfortable sharing that.

What does the average customer spend per visit (USD)? 100 bucks I would say

Is your club no contact, one-way contact, or two-way contact? (What is enforced, not the “official” rules.) The entertainers are the only ones that can touch. No customer contact.

What are your boundaries for acceptable client behavior? Not overly drunk, not extremely touchy/feely, respects the dancers, behaves like a gentlemen.

If you date men, what race do you tend to date? White

0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100 x
    100-150
    150+
    0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150x
    150+
    0-25
    25-50 x
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+
    0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+ x

not at all.........................always 10
    In general, how well do white clients respect the boundaries set forth by you and the club? (with 10 being “always”) 6
    not at all.........................always 7
    not at all.........................always 9

(with 10 being “always”)
    not at all.........................always 6
    (with 10 being “always”)
    not at all.........................always 8
    (with 10 being “always”)
    not at all.........................always 4
    (with 10 being “always”)
    not at all.........................always 10

Thanks

1. 20
    2. white
    3. a year
    4. Wisconsin
    5. small city
    6. weeknights 150-250, fri/sat 200-500
    7. not sure how much customers spend- on average probably 50-150
    8. we are full nude, full contact (no extras). guys can touch the girl wherever she is comfortable, but the breasts, butt, and coochie are always off-limits.
    9. I allow guys to touch my arms, legs, back while I'm giving a lap dance, but nothing else. If a guy slaps my ass, he gets a slap across the face.
    10. white
    11. the young gangbanger wannabe's who try to grab everyone and ask everyone if they will give them a blowjob: 0-25..... the respectable nice ones:50-75
    12. 75-100
    13. 0-25
    14. 0-25
    15. 5
    16. 8
    17. 2
    18. 2
    19. black- 6 approaching, 10 dancing
    20. white- 10 approaching, 10 dancing
    21. hispanic -4 approaching, 8 dancing
    22. asian- 4 approaching, 8 dancing

I skipped the question about the makeup of our dancers- we usually have 5-8 dancers each night- no asian, one black, no hispanic, the rest white. customers are mostly white, but we do tend to get mexicans and asians in once in a while. black customers have become more common recently, but we still only get them in once in a while.
    Last edited by MadisonM; 12-04-2005 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Forgot some information

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 242_fair
    May I ask, if you are writing about gender themes, why does your survey have so many questions about how much money dancers are making?
    I definetely welcome questions, especially since this one is making me think pretty hard about this!
    My paper is going to focus on dancer perceptions of clientele race and its effects on their encounters, if any. However, I think it would be naive of me to write as though race alone frames these interactions. Every dancer is going to have her own ideas about different races, ranging from "'X race' is dirty" to "Race doesn't even matter." A very important aspect of these ideas is the dancer's opinion of how much a customer spends. I think maybe I should add something about "How often do you dance for x race?" or "What is the racial makeup of *your* typical customer base?" as opposed or in addition to the question regarding the customers in the whole club. My reasoning is that if a dancer says she is totally comfortable dancing for xyz, but never does, why is that? It may have to do with the dancers perception of how much xyz men spend in the club. Does that make sense? It may end up being totally irrelevant, but I'd rather have info I don't need than the other way around. I'm sorry if it upset you or seemed intrusive, and I want to reemphasive that no one should feel obliged to answer any question that makes them feel uncomfortable.

Thanks for asking this question--it's helping me get a better grasp of where I'm going with all this. Especially because I'm a rather sheltered white stripper and overcoming my cultural baggage so that I can be fair, objective and accurate is pretty challenging!

Edited to add: the reason I ask about average nightly earnings is to get an idea of what percentage a person can make from a "typical" xyz client. Like, if I say the average black guy spends $100, but not how much I make, you wouldn't know if $100 was a lot to me or not.

ANOTHER EDIT!! I added a little to the survey. The parts I added are in bold. If you've already replied and don't feel like answering the new stuff, don't worry about it.
    Last edited by abadvi; 12-04-2005 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks

Okay. This is actually my final commentary on this - you are obligated, according to tenets of ethical research, to provide your subjects with information about your projects. They should know what they are participating in. Me, I would recommend your current hypothosis, what you hope to find out, what the paper is likely to be used for and all that. I'm sure your school has guidelines, or you can check the American Sociological Association. No researcher should be seeking out subjects without fully disclosing the nature of the project. I don't think you are trying to conceal it, and I don't think you're lying; but I think it is important that people fully realize what they are participating in.
    I have taught that the sky in all its zones is mortal and its substance was formed by a process of birth

Veteran Member
    Thanks

jenny--that's a really good point! Thank you for bringing this up. Please don't be hesitate to post again or PM me if you see other issues I need to address, or if you have more advice to offer.
    To everyone: I'm sorry (and a bit embarrassed) I didn't do that from the beginning. Duh. I learned about informed consent in Psych 100 and Soc 100!
    My paper won't be used for anything but determining a portion of my grade for my class. I don't intend to publish it, but I will share it with individuals who express interest in reading it (including members of this board; just PM me). I won't be using any names or pseudonyms found here, although I might quote respondants who are willing, using a different pseudonym, if necessary. I will check with the person first before I do that. No one's answers will be reprinted in whole in the paper, although everyone's responses will be available to my teacher at her request. The risks for participating are the same risks one has in giving out any kind of personal information on the web--so please take that into account when replying.

Here is my prelim assignment which I used to present the idea to my prof:

Title: Exotic Dancers’ Perceptions of and Responses to Clientele Race

Research Question: How does a female exotic dancer’s perception of a male patron’s race affect their interactions?

Summary: In my paper I will examine the interactions between customers and exotic dancers in the United States. More specifically, I will address what effects, if any, a customer’s race has on these interactions. I will provide a short summary of a typical strip club environment to give the reader a valid context for understanding the client/dancer relationship. Using the framework, I will explore the issues of race perception, privilege, and gender roles.

Research Design: I will use academic articles to help establish a basic understanding of sex work and exotic dancing. (Of course, I will be trying to represent what I think sex work is and the articles will be chosen to back me up--so not a bunch of anti-porn or mysongist tripe.) I will also draw information from recent autobiographical works of exotic dancers. I will conduct a survey among exotic dancers regarding their perceptions of client race and behavior. I will attempt to interview a small number of customers and exotic dancers about this topic. I will cite articles pertaining to gender role expectations among different American subcultures.

Potential Sources: Frank, Katherine. “Strip Clubs and their Regulars.” American Sexuality 1.4 (2003): 9 Nov. 2005 <http://nsrc.sfsu.edu/Mag
    Article.cfm?Article=98&PageID=23&SID=6807E9EEBDDD2 116B3CF5EAC25A6D368&DSN=nsrc_rev2>.

Egan, R.and Katherine Frank. “Attempts at a Feminist and Interdisciplinary Conversation about Strip Clubs.” Deviant Behavior 26.4 (2005): 297-320.

Ross, Becki "Spectacular Striptease: Performing the Sexual and Racial Other in Vancouver, B.C., 1945-1975"
    Journal of Women's History 17.1 (2005): 137-164. (yeah, this is about Canada, not the US. These sources were just supposed to show we'd actually started our research. )

Off topic--holy crap, this board has a lot of smileys!!!

Thanks

Thank you! It is so delightful to have a single researcher actually disclose this when asked. I swear, sometimes it's like pulling teeth.

PM
    What is your age?
    What is your race?
    Caucasion
    10 years, off and on
    None – I’m in Canada, I’m afraid. Toronto. I have worked in the States in Montana and Guam
    City
    Dancers: I would hesitate to give a percentage, but I would say mostly Caucasion, followed by Asian, followed by Black
    $100 an hour
    $100 on dances; maybe $20-$40 on drinks
    Hmm. Official Rules I don’t even know. I would say that most of the girls participates in 2 way contact
    Anything that doesn’t involve any fluids or secretions really doesn’t bother me.
    None.

0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+
    100-150 – including drinks; of course I can only answer this for MY clients
    0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+
    100-150
    0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+
    100-150
    0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+
    100-150
    EDITED TO ADD: For the above figures, do you feel your earnings are within the average for each section, or do you feel that certain races spend less or more than the average on you personally?
    Well, I would not assume that my clients are significantly different than the average client. But they might be.

(with 10 being “always”)
    (with 10 being “always”)
    (with 10 being “always”)
    (with 10 being “always”)

EDITED TO ADD:

I have taught that the sky in all its zones is mortal and its substance was formed by a process of birth

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Thanks Jenny! I can't believe people won't tell you about their research! I wonder why they don't.

It occurred to me someone here might be interested in how I'd answer these questions, so here ya go!

1. PM
    2. 25
    3. White
    4. Off and on for nearly 4 years.
    5. The Midwest.
    6. Suburb/small city
    7. Dancers: 70% white, 25% black, 5% Asian.
    Customers: 70% white, 20% Hispanic, 5% black, 5% Asian.
    8. ~$250-300
    9. $50-75
    10. PG-13 one-way contact (grinding with ass or leg is way more common than groin-on-groin)
    11. No touching other than holding my hand, rubbing my back, "innocent" stuff like that. ESPECIALLY no "sneaky" behavior to touch me or vice versa. No overt or intentionally malicious "isms" (sexism, racism, homophobia...ism...heh, etc). No persistant price-hagglers.
    12. White
    13. 50-75
    14. 75-100
    15. 75-100
    16. 50-75
    17. I think I make more from Asian men and less from black men. Also, whites and Hispanics seem to spend more on dances, and blacks and Asians seem to spend more on drinks (for themselves or for girls).
    18. 9
    19. 7.5
    20. 7.5
    21. 9.5
    22. 9
    23. 9
    24. 8
    25. 10
    26. 8
    27. 10
    28. 7
    29. 10

hope I didn't botch up the question order

Thanks

I appreciate your honesty. Why are you using money as a basis for interaction? Would a broader conceptualization of interaction (includiing things like amount of time spent on the hustle) just overcomplicate things?

here it is:

PM

What is your age?

What is your race?
    Caucasian/Alaska Native

Eight years

PA

Rural area

Dancers 100% White looking
    Customers 90% White, 5% black, 3% hispanic, 2% other

Enough

1/2 of my nightly average.

One way contact, two way for some regulars.

They must respect my boundaries and my autonomy - physically, my boundaries are flexible.

I date women.

About 1/4 my nightly average.

About 1/2 my nightly avg.

About 1/6 my nightly average.

2/3 my nightly average.

I couldn't answer the question accurately. I think most customers spend more on me than on other dancers at my club.

(with 10 being “always”)
    (with 10 being “always”)
    (with 10 being “always”)
    (with 10 being “always”)

EDITED TO ADD:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lena
    I appreciate your honesty. Why are you using money as a basis for interaction? Would a broader conceptualization of interaction (includiing things like amount of time spent on the hustle) just overcomplicate things?
    thanks!
    To answer your question--yeah, basically. Haha, I know, that's a dumb answer. I guess I'd say that I think money potential/money made is a decent way to help describe or define interaction in a club. (Decent enough for what is expected of me for this paper, anyway.) I mean, money is (nearly always) the whole reason we're interacting with them at all, yeah? It's late and I'm going to leave it at that for now, but I might add to this later.

I really love that y'all are asking me these questions! It's a little intimidating but it's really helping me figure out my way through this assignment. Thank you!

Thanks

Default Re: *another* survey for a paper--but at least this one's by a stripper! *wink*

Pm on stripperweb

What is your age?

What is your race?
    white

4 years on & off (2 years full time)

Canada- Vancouver, normally.

City and suburbs

Dancers- 90% white, 8% black, 1% asian, 1% 'other'
    Customers- 45% white, 40% asian, 5% indian, 5% persian/middle eastern, 5% everything else

$50/show (3-4 shows), $100-300 on the floor.

$40

No contact or light one-way

No touching

White

0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+

Can't judge...there's, like, 3 black people in Vancouver.

0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+

25-50

0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+

Again, can't judge...

0-25
    25-50
    50-75
    75-100
    100-150
    150+

50-75

Depends- white men spend on me more regularly, but Asian men sprend a lot, but less frequently

n/a

n/a

(with 10 being “always”)

n/a

(with 10 being “always”)

(with 10 being “always”)

n/a

(with 10 being “always”)

EDITED TO ADD:

n/a

n/a

Feature costumes for sale!

AudreyLeigh

Email address or preferred way to contact you if necessary (AIM, LJ, etc): PM on SW

What is your age? 23

What is your race? White

For how long have you danced? 5.5 yrs

In which part of the country do you dance? California

Do you dance in a city, suburb, or rural area? City

What is the racial makeup of dancers at your club? What about customers, in an average week? (example: 80% white, 15% black, 5% Asian) 75% White, 10% Asian, 10% Black, 5% Indian

How much money do you earn on average per night (USD)? pass

What does the average customer spend per visit (USD)? $200

Is your club no contact, one-way contact, or two-way contact? (What is enforced, not the “official” rules.) One-way contact

What are your boundaries for acceptable client behavior? Men are not allowed to touch... we can grind and touch custys (no private parts)

If you date men, what race do you tend to date? white

100-150

100-150

100-150

150+

As a blond I made more off Asians, as a brunette I make more with white men...

(with 10 being “always”)

(with 10 being “always”)

(with 10 being “always”)

(with 10 being “always”)

Added - with the last question it really depends on my mood and the attitude of the custy

Dear Gods plz send money to Oregon K luv you bye
    Thanks

Default Re: *another* survey for a paper--but at least this one's by a stripper! *wink*

To make sense of this, remember that my club is a TINY dive bar, two dancers per shift and not many customers.

PM me here for the moment. Within a week, [email protected] will be up.

What is your age?

What is your race?
    Human. Okay, pasty-ass Jewish intellectual (white, if you like.)

One month and a half.

West coast.

City. Portland, Oregon.

Dancers are all white, but there are only, like, nine of them! I'll estimate 87% white customers, 5% black, 5% asian, 3% hispanic.

$80.

$10 or $15.

No contact, but I brush against people's clothed bodies here and there, not with any real intention. I'm pretty sure that I'd be ousted if I shoved my tits in someone's face or gave a grinding lap dance, so it's definitely closer to "no contact" if those are the three options.

If someone rests a hand on my foot in a dance I won't say anything. A hug or a pat on the shoulder in the main bar area is fine. If I were working somewhere else, I'd probably have lower boundaries. I set my acceptability limits to how the rules are likely to be enforced when the rules are already better than my limits. I'm pretty sure I'd be OK with light to medium contact dances but no more. I don't WANT to do heavy contact/grinding dances.

White usually, but that hasn't got to do with physical appearance -- I'm just a very geeky type and I date people from a similar cultural background. I've met men and women of other ethnicities who are in my category of preference, but only a few.

0-25
    0-25
    0-25
    0-25

Hard to say because all the other dancers in my club are white.

(with 10 being “always”)
    (with 10 being “always”)
    (with 10 being “always”)
    (with 10 being “always”)

EDITED TO ADD:

also--sorry for the stodgy format for all this--I was going to code this as an actual survey to post on the web but wasn't able to do it. The answers are repetitive because I thought it would help me code faster if I didn't have to scroll a lot to maintain consistency.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks

What is your age? 36

What is your race? white

For how long have you danced? 7+ years

In which part of the country do you dance? Pacific Northwest

Do you dance in a city, suburb, or rural area? Yes, yes and yes

Dancers: 90% white, 5% hispanic, 5% asian or black
    customers: 60% white, 20% hispanic, 15% asian, 5%black

How much money do you earn on average per night (USD)? $350

What does the average customer spend per visit (USD)? $75

No contact in Oregon, one way contact in other locations. Ocassional two way contact in more rural locations

I do not wish the customer to lick me or share other bodily fluids with me. If he tends to have a "hair trigger" I would perfer that he wear a condom. I prefer that the customers be very gentle when touching, and limit touching to areas that aren't covered by a swimsuit (no breast or genital touching).

If you date men, what race do you tend to date? Mostly white, ocasionaly asian

0-25

75-100

75-100

150+

I am not popular with black customers. I however have rarely seen a black customer spend much in the clubs. I personally make a lot of my income from hispanic and asian customers. A lot of the dancers I work with are worried about the language barrier, but I somehow muddle through.

(with 10 being “always”)
    5, but I have danced for very few black customers in my career. I am usually turned down when approaching a black customer.
    (with 10 being “always”)
    9, I am usually comfortable. There are those guys that will make my skin crawl occasionally, though.
    (with 10 being “always”)
    5, I am usually nervous approaching hispanic customers because I am afraid that the language barrier will cause a money miscomuncation. I still always approach, as so few other dancers will talk to them, so I make more money.
    (with 10 being “always”)
    10 I feel very comfortable dancing for asian men. I feel like asian men are just as perverted as any other race, but I worry less about attracting an asian psycho then I do with hispanics or whites.

EDITED TO ADD:

3, my track record with black customers isn't good.

Promote yourself and earn more money! This is a business that is owned by strippers for strippers. Let's make that money!