Thread: 70s and 80s theme day

God/dess
    Thanks

Default 70s and 80s theme day

Every Saturday afternoon it's 70s and 80s music only. Everything I pick sucks, and that particular dj doesn't help. The only stuff I like is by Heart, but I am getting sick of dancing to "Magic Man", and since I need to pick two fasts and one slow, two Heart songs tends to be a longer set than I like to do. Billy Idol is ok too, but are there anymore recommendations for a girl born in 1985 and 70s/80s music impaired?

On normal days I like to dance to Radiohead, Garbage, Killers, Deathcab for Cutie, Metric, Cake, Moist, The Verve, White Stripes, Arcade Fire...to give you an idea of what I like and what's my pace. I am possibly interested in dancing to the Clash or that sort of stuff, but I am unfamiliar with what would work for stage...

I am not very experienced on stage yet (four months of dancing), and anything too energetic makes me lose my rhythm and dance all ridiculously frenetic. I need something that doesn't get me all out of sorts, but also doesn't suck (you should hear some of the worst ever eighties stuff the other girls use- yuck!). Thanks everyone!!

Cally

Default Re: 70s and 80s theme day

Def Leppard, ACDC, Lawnmower Deth, Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Tears For Fears, The Thompson Twins, WHAM, Styx
    a couple bands for ya anyway.. my man is an 80's freak i'll post more later

Btw if its an energitc song just pic the slowest beat... I know a lot of girls that can pull this off and look sexy.
    Last edited by Blade; 12-09-2005 at 03:56 PM. Reason: to erase shinedown as an 80's band....and add canadian music to the canadians post,lol

Thanks

Some 80s bands are..

A-ha, Abba, The Bangles, Blondie, Bon Jovi, The B-52's, The Cult, The Cure, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Dire Straits, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Duran Duran, Europ, Eurythmics, Faith No More, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Guns N' Roses, INXS, Iron Maiden, Journey, Judas Priest, KISS, Madness, Metallica, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne, Pantera, Pet Shop Boys (LMAO!!), Pink Floyd, The Police, Queen, Ramones, R.E.M, Rush, Simply Red, Slayer, Skid Row (Money Business!!), Styx, Twisted Sister, U2, UB40, Van Halen, Wham!, Y&T, ZZ Top.

Any more just ask!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Idol Vampira

Cally

LoL Vampira you took the second half of my list right outta my fingers ZZ Top Cheap Sunglasses is an easy song to dance to, I havnt tried it but seen some girls do it. Motley Crue has some easy stuff to dance to. A really good last song for your set is Lawnmower Deth's cover of The Kids in America.. I just edited this post to make it 80's.. .
    Last edited by Blade; 12-09-2005 at 03:58 PM. Reason: to keep it in the 80's, yes it's held there now by Aquanet

Thanks

Sorry about that Cally!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Idol Vampira

Cally

LoL How were you supposed to know.. you just saved me typing!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cally
    Def Lepord, ACDC, Shinedown, Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Tears For Fears, The Thompson Twins, WHAM, Styx
    a couple bands for ya anyway.. my man is an 80's freak i'll post more later

Btw if its an energitc song just pic the slowest beat... I know a lot of girls that can pull this off and look sexy.
    Shinedown was 80's ???? Musta missed a meeting.
    I Would Never Belong To Any Club That Would Have Me As A Member - Groucho Marx

philadelphia suburbs (delaware, actually)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phillydj
    Shinedown was 80's ???? Musta missed a meeting.
    Yeah, I missed that meeting as well. We should have paid more attention, instead of wanting to be Blade

There was lots of "alternative" in the 80's too, not only the new wave-ish stuff. Cure, Smiths, Pixies, New Order, Love & Rockets, Shriekback, Siouxsie, Jesus & Mary Chain, Talking Heads, etc etc. Some things not really considered "80's" actually came out in '89 though, like NIN's "pretty hate machine".
    Last edited by Blade; 12-09-2005 at 04:00 PM.
    waffles are just pancakes with little squares on them.

Featured Member
    Thanks

If you say you dance slow, Duran Duran "Come Undone" would be a good choice and easy to work with. My post may be biased because I am a Duran DURAN fanatic...
    I like Foreigner "Hot Blooded" ( I think it's called.) It has an exciting beat.. but nothing that I dont think you could not follow along to...
    Police "SOS"? is good too
    See i am an 80's freak... but i only know how songs go... i do not know many titles.

Featured Member
    Thanks

Tainted Love? would be an easy song for you follow along beat wise. I think thats a fun song...

Cally

LoL Okay yes Shinedown wasnt 80's... I dont know why I had that idea in my head... sorry guys. I was slightly overtired when replying to this

Thanks

Pink Floyd!!!!! Lots of great songs with all different kinds of tempos...
    Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul... - Marilyn Monroe

God/dess
    Thanks

If you're into alternative, may I humble suggest the Psychedelic Furs (my favorite band of all time)?

For slow and sexy try Imitation of Christ or No Easy Street. For more upbeat try President Gas or Love My Way.

Other suggestions include Adam & The Ants, The Cure, The Pogues, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Alarm....oh I could go on.

This was the music of my HS years and it brings back many back seat memories, lol/

MollyPop, if you need any suggestions, PM me. You know I luv ya and would never steer ya wrong!! Muah!!!

Thanks

Just saw them in concert last night so they're on my mind....

Depeche mode has some great tunes, fast, slow and everything in between.

philadelphia suburbs (delaware, actually)
    Thanks

Hey...nice edit there Mr Moderator man. WTF is that all about, heh.
    waffles are just pancakes with little squares on them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrChristopher
    Hey...nice edit there Mr Moderator man. WTF is that all about, heh.
    Whatchoo talkin bout willis?

Thanks

If you wanna go heavy, check out some of these groups, I didn't feel like writing them all down, so here is a link:
    http://rateyourmusic.com/list/roy_ha..._of_the_1980s/

All of them should have a few decent power ballads too. Make sure your DJ shortens anything by Metallica, GnR, and some Maiden. Loooooong songs!

Van Halen fans are fanatics. If you dance to Halen and have a fan in the audicence, he will be your bitch!

More cock rock. Listen to the samples and see what you like. The DJ should have it, the songs are popular:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...72810?v=glance

Another list for top 70's Songs (yes, I'm lazy):
    http://www.inthe70s.com/generated/toptensongs31.shtml

Also, try disco: Anything off of "Saturday Night Fever" or ABBA. Also, KISS "I was made for loving you." Pple either love it or hate it, but its good to dance to with a cheesy grin on your face.

And, of course, we can't forget: BOWIE, BOWIE, BOWIE!!!

Disc one, I recommend Suffragete City. Its fast, but it has a great breakdown when he screams "wham bam, thank you ma'am" which is purrrrrfect for a pole slide.

Disc two: Cat People is a HOT song, although its a bit long and the synthesizer can get old, have your DJ cut it!!

Enjoy, 70's and 80's are the shit!!

"Have you ever been to American wedding? Where is the vodka, where's marinated herring?" - GB
    "And do the cats give a shit? No, they do not. Why? Because they're cats."-from The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Mia M
    If a cupcake was tossed at me... well, I'd only be upset if it missed my mouth

Thanks

Also, check out Roxy Music, Joy Division, The Runaways, The Sisters of Mercy(Floodland)

More disco, check out the songs off of this album:

I LOVE "Don't leave me this way", it alternates fast and slow. Hehehe, and of course, "Bad Girls"! Lots of errr, "macho" SC guys hate disco, but fuck 'em!

Blondie!!!
    Eurythmics
    Billy Idol
    Pat Benatar,
    The Bangles
    Michael Jackson
    Pretenders
    Heaven 17
    Berlin
    Ministry
    Bauhaus (hmmmm...)

The patron saint of the Strip Club, Mr. Prince himself

Helllooooo, MADONNA!!! You know all her stuff too most likely!
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

Ok, enough, enough from me!

"Have you ever been to American wedding? Where is the vodka, where's marinated herring?" - GB
    "And do the cats give a shit? No, they do not. Why? Because they're cats."-from The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Mia M
    If a cupcake was tossed at me... well, I'd only be upset if it missed my mouth

Featured Member
    Thanks

Yess.. Bowie is awesome... the song that goes.. "Let's dance.. put on your red shoes and dance the blues... would work well.

Prince song... "Erotic City" is my theme song. VERy hot....
    I love 80's!! and need to wowrk at any club when they have an 80's theme night bc i have yet to do so

God/dess
    Thanks

Thanks everyone- I've been looking through some of these bands this week, and it's been a fun education.

Merci encore!