Thread: Taking time off until I get panic attacks under control

Thanks

Default Taking time off until I get panic attacks under control

Hi Ladies...

So here's the deal. I've been getting horrible panic attacks again. Like in the middle of Super Walmart at 12am while picking out spaghetti sauce. I figure that if I can get out of the store without blacking out and someone calling an ambulance that I'll be fine. So i drive home ok, lay down in my comfy bed, and have more panic attacks just lying there by myself. Good grief!! Here's some info on what it's like. If you haven't had one, this will give you an idea of what it's like... http://www.anxietynetwork.com/pdfacts.html#pdfact1

It's utter terror. Like someone is out to get me and punish me for everything i've done wrong in the last seven or so years.... all crushing down on me in agonizing minute by minute torture while I hyperventilate and wish i could black out. but you never black out because your rapid heart beat actually RAISES your blood pressure. There's nothing you can do but ride it out while all you want to do is crawl out of your skin or grab a knife to end it all because you feel as though you are navigating the depths of hell. The fear of getting another one can actually make you have another one, (as if it can't get any worse!!) Gah...

I've taken the last two nights off of work, and REALLY WANT TO WORK TONIGHT. But...i'm afraid that I will get an attack at work. And let me tell you, dancing is the best thing in my life right now. Nothing makes me feel more free, alive, worthy, happy, and in tune with the world. It's been overall a wonderful experience besides the occaisional crap that comes with the job. I'm worried that if I go to work and have one there, that I will associate the attacks with work and will continue to have them there... and... it will ruin the best thing in my life.

So I made a hard decision. I'm not going back until I can get on anti-anxiety medication and anti-depressants. I'm trying to do the best thing that I can for myself. I don't want this anxiety and these panic attacks to run my life. So now starts the wait to get into a doctor to get a prescription. I have an appointment with my psychologist/counselor that knows me from a couple years back and knows my issues. I'm also going to call tomorrow to see the same psychiatric person that originally prescribed this stuff for me last time I had issues with panic attacks and depression.

I can't believe I'm going through this AGAIN. Just when everything in my life seems fine... here we go again. I don't want to quit dancing. I just think it's best to take a break and return when I have some medication under my belt to fight back at this disorder. And then hopefully I can move forward again.

I can afford it financially alright... I just won't be able to pay off my school loans in the timeframe that I originally expected. But that was an artificial deadline anyway.

Does anyone else out there suffer from these? If you do, you'll immediately know what I'm talking about. Generalized anxiety I think I could deal with, but unfortunately, I have a panic disorder. Bah.... why me!!?!?!?!

All I want to do is dance. But I want to do it without the debilitating attacks. I figure that I'll work out at home to keep my body and spirits up, but how boring is that?

Any words of wisdom and/or support would be welcome. I love you ladies (and gents) of SW. What would I do without you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Lysondra View Post
    Strippers are like ninjas. You never know how many there are or if the person next to you is one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    ...I assume you probably don't want to deal with pervs, and the guys that just don't give a fuck about money are like unicorns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinder View Post
    I know I have said it before, and I'll say it again.... THE VAGINA IS NOT A CLOWN CAR!

Yekhefah

Default Re: Taking time off until I get panic attacks under control

I used to get these all the time. The drugs made it worse, and had horrible side effects. I finally learned how to coach myself out of them - just relax, remind myself it's just a panic attack and I survived all the other ones just fine, and calm myself down. I also avoided triggers, like "The X-Files" (don't laugh; I used to love that show but it freaked me out).

I haven't had one in about six years. I've started to, but as soon as I start getting nervous, I think, "Oh, stop it, it's just another panic attack" and it goes away. Mind over matter!

God/dess
    Thanks

Hang in there. I think drugs are great, and they helped me a lot, but I also think that therapy and learning how to change how you think is important. It's an ongoing struggle and I've sort of admitted to myself that anxiety and depression are just fascinating little facets of my personality, and doing what it takes to deal with them are part of what I have to do to take care of myself.

And of course, give yourself a lot of credit for seeking halp and knowing when you need it. You're in excellent mental health if you can take that step. Just think about all the people who keep self-medicating with alcohol or other (non-prescription) drugs and don't get to find real help . . .

buffie06

I have panic attacks too, but i am scared to go to the dr. and tell them I am afraid they will tell me I can't have the medication b/c my job is the problem. I know that sounds silly but most of my attacks are at work, and they are gettin g worse. I have never told a dr. I was a dancer before and am afraid they will see me as a stereotypical stripper that wants drugs. When I have a panic attack I usually will just sit in the bathroom and cry until i feel better or it is time to leave. I feel lost on the issue.

Thanks

Buffie, why would any trained professional stereotype you and screw you out of needed medication? Let me encourage you to go get what you need. It sounds like you might have social anxiety... I'm not a doctor and not sure. Here we are... the sick leading the sick...lol. But seriously... let me encourage you to go get some meds or go to someone that you can talk to. Professional therapists aren't going to tell you what to do... they help you figure that out for yourself. And if you need meds, you need meds.

If anything, it might help you to read up on anxiety so that you know you're not alone.

My regret now is not working... at least you're still suffering through. I can't believe I'm taking off work for this, but they're really that bad. I feel like $hit for being a pansy... but... what am i to do?

Strippers are like ninjas. You never know how many there are or if the person next to you is one.
    ...I assume you probably don't want to deal with pervs, and the guys that just don't give a fuck about money are like unicorns...
    I know I have said it before, and I'll say it again.... THE VAGINA IS NOT A CLOWN CAR!

Yekhefah

Meds don't always help, y'all. Lots of the time they make it worse. They mask the symptoms without getting to the core of the problem! You can do far better by breathing slowly and reminding yourself that it's just a panic attack, and it will go away like all the other ones did before it. It doesn't take long to completely take control this way and stop having them. IMO, that's better and cheaper than being drug-dependent.

Pharmaceutical companies are making a fortune off people who don't need drugs. It's sick.

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Yekhefah is exactly right. When a panic attack comes on, the worst thing you can do is try to run. Even worse is avoiding a place or situation because you are afraid of the possibility of getting a panic attack. The thing about them is that they are all in your head. Getting worked up and thinking "I have to get out of here, now!" is completely detrimental. Instead, stay where you are, taking long, deep, relaxing breaths, and remind yourself that you it is just in your head and as long as you calm down, you will be fine, and it will pass.

I started getting panic attacks ever since I was 14. It got so bad at one point that I never left my house, because every time I did I got an attack. I thought I'd be fine as long as I just stayed home. Then I had a panic attack in my bathtub - possibly the safest, most relaxing place in the world. That is when I realized I would not be safe anywhere if I did not try and fight this thing. If the thought of doing something panics you, the only way to get over it is to do that thing.

You say that you are afraid of going to work, having a panic attack, and then associating work with panic attacks. I understand exactly how you feel. I used to do that. But you have it wrong. You have to go to work, and if you feel an attack coming on, then you have to face it, giving it the smackdown right then and there. Once the feelings start coming on, don't accelerate them by freaking out and thinking you have to get away. Just stay where you are, start doing the deep breathing, and talk soothingly to yourself.

Don't ever be afraid of going anywhere or doing anything. That will just feed your panic. It's like, the only thing we are afraid of is BECOMMING afraid. You need to feel like you have complete control of yourself and KNOW that no matter what happens, you will be fine. Eventually, they will just go away on their own. You certainly don't need any medication! Relying on a medication will not help. The only thing you need to rely on to fight panic is yourself. Good luck!

God/dess
    Thanks

Buffie, do you think a doctor would refuse to give an air traffic controller meds because their anxiety could be blamed on their job? I am positive that in a city the size of Dallas, TX you can find any number of good, open-minded doctors who would be happy to help treat you with medication, therapy, or whatever you need!

And Yek, while I appreciate your POV and agree that treating panic disorders should incorporate physical and mental exercises, there is no doubt that medications can provide desperately needed short term relief for people who are in a lot of pain. Please don't dismiss them entirely. It takes time to learn to use the kinds of techniques that help control panic, and in the meantime, people often need something to get through day-to-day life.

Conversely, Xanax or Klonopin are not a long-term solution and it's important to explore more deep-seated lifestyle/attitude changes; that's why I highly recommend therapy of some kind for anyone with panic/anxiety/depression issues.

AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIE ABOUT BEING A STRIPPER! There are plenty of wonderful health professionals in this world who will show you compassion and never pass judgement on your lifestyle. If any doctor, therapist, or nurse ever makes you uncomfortable, you have every right to leave her office and go find someone who won't.

Thanks

Oh wow honey I know how you feel...Six months ago I had a nervous breakdown and I think i posted a thread on here if I should continue dancing b/c now I have an anxiety disorder. My anxiety/panic attacks are something I deal with on a daily basis. I am going back to dancing though in about a week here, because I need to pay bills and staying inside has made me even more sicker. Hmm Agoraphobia...Sometimes too intense of physical activity gives me panic attacks, which was part of the reason I quit dancing. But lately I just have told myself thats it this isnt going to control my life because I love dancing just as much as you do. Medications are good like xanax or klonopin, but I am not into the whole anti-depressent thing...b/c I feel there are other safer ways to combat this horrible thing, plus sometimes they make panic attacks worse. But hey if they work for you take em..
    Meditation, change of diet, supplements, yoga, exercise, positive thinking, breathing techniques, etc...all can decrease your anxiety by at least 50 percent.
    Message me dear and I will give you a list of books that have some valuable information.

Thanks

I have been diagnosed w/ generalized anxiety w/ panic disorder. I was at my worst 2 years ago. The medication saved my life and sanity. I was an absolute mess, couldn't sleep, I was obsessed w/ my health and would have several attacks a day, they were so dibilitating, I was praying that I had to have something physical wrong w/ me. I would be in a state of constant anxiety. I was prescribed klonipin short term, and it helped tremendously. I continue to take zoloft. I no longer have the generalized anxiey and occasional suffer from a panic attack. I have had friends that told me that the meds are not good, one friend beat her anxiety with these tapes from the Midwest Center for Stress, I ordered them also, and learned techniques, but I really feel since I have been taking zoloft that I finally feel normal, I don;t fixate upon senseless things. I wish I didn't have to take it, but I have accepted that this is part of my life. Some people can get over it w/o meds, but personally they saved my sanity

Thanks

I have panic attacks a lot. At least once a day. EVERY day. The medication I take now is for my OCD but it tends to calm the attacks a little too. Not enough sometimes. I agree that meds dont always work, but hey, sometimes they do. Go see someone. Maybe you WONT need them, but if you do, go for it. Dont let this control your life. I cant count the times my panic attacks have ended me up running away literally and ending up in strange places, ended me up moving suddenly, etc... It's crippling sometimes but I have great friends who help me, even if they're only on SW or on AIM or something... sometimes just talking it out, or typing it out... can really help. I dont know if you're anywhere near my area here in FL, but if you have AIM or YIM or somesuch, drop me a PM, I'm online a lot. I'd be glad to lend a proverbial ear
    Number of times Rickrolled on stage: 6

Marasmus ... "Ladies don't fart. They butt-laugh."
    Marasmus says, "Oh no, that wasn't gas, it was merely a rectal chuckle."

Marek says, "A friend of mine got punched in the face by a dominatrix stripper about two weeks ago and I thought of you."

Thanks

Paintgoddess, I know how you feel. When I am having a panic attack I would just assume someone knock me out or kill me. I haven't had one in quite a while, especially since I have been on Effexor. Effexor is more of a long-term med for panic disorder. Xanax or Klonopin will give you short-term relief or alleviate the symptoms at hand.

Featured Member venusofwillendorf's Avatar
    Thanks

i have them too. i've had success with taking ativan prn, but i have to take one half of the smallest pill available, because anything larger makes me high. long term therapy has also helped a great deal. if you want to treat it naturally, a strong chamomile tea can help, as well as taking valerian regularly, though you can't take valerian if you have a heart condition. acupuncture can also help with panic disorders. but in my experience, the only thing that really holds it at bay is therapy. i understand the problem with anti-sex and and anti-sex work therapists- it's one of the reasons i'm looking for a new one myself. but don't let that frighten you away from looking for help. you are NOT a pansy, you have a medical condition, and you deserve treatment. you are no less worthy of help than any other human being, and quite a bit more worthy than some, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. you are strong hon, and you'll make it through this. good luck. we're here for you. *(~hugs~)*
    be the change you wish to see in the world....
    ~ghandi

i really love your peaches wanna shake your tree....
    ~steve miller

why not?
    ~anon

Thanks

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this now. I've been there, and worked my way out of it with accupressure/thought energy sycnronization therapy. If you want to know how to use those techniques, I'd be happy to show you... just drop me a PM. Or even if you don't want to know about those and just want to vent...

Lena

Thanks

I have a question for all you gals that are working and struggling with this...What do you do when you have a panic attack at work? I plan to go back to dancing in a week and I do not know what ot do when i have extreme anxiety/a panic attack...i mean what if I am having one and then have to go on stage
    Any tips gals?

Thanks

I don't usually encourage drinking but I have drank a glass of wine to calm me down.

Thanks

YEAH

SO i used to get them everyonce in a while, but recently, after a major breakdown, they were more frequent, every week, then every day, then 5 or more times a day. it was driving everyone close to me crazy. i started meds, depakote, which is for mania but the panic/anxiety attacks stoped right away.
    before i got to meds though, the one thing that would help me was immediatly if i felt like i was gonna have one or even in the middle i would just go for a very fast walk around the block. that gets blood flowing to your brain, and really DOES help fight those attacks.
    so yes i turned to meds when it really got out of control, but as a general rule, exercise, diet, meditation/prayer, mind over matter, those things all really help and play key roles in centering yourself. but dont ever be afraid to get help before its too late.
    (i waited too long and now its a slow road to recovery)

think of dancing as exercise, cause it is. relief through release. i know dancing has helped me SO MUCH!
    Blackeyed Angel

Thanks

Smiley Re: Taking time off until I get panic attacks under control

First of all let me state very clearly that I do believe that medicines are helpful to a lot of people. I am in no way against them and and I think they have saved countless lives. Having said that I have a very strong suggestion if you are going to start an anti-anxiety drug or mood elevator. Let someone you know and trust know that you are starting it, please. I had some problems with anxiety before a spinal surgery and my GP gave me Xanax for it. I was on it for two weeks before my husband came home one day and found me on the kitchen floor bleeding from the cuts I had put all over my body with a straight edge razor. I don't remember any of it but was immediately put in a mental institution. I had no previous history of depression and was just nervous about having the surgery and ended up being committed. Apparently I had a pretty common reaction to the Xanax. After 3 days the medicine was out of my system and I was fine. (Except for the fact that I now have numerous ugly scars on my body ) The Dr's told me these kind of reactions are much more common than any of the manufacturers will admit. These medicines can be a Godsend but it would help if you had a close friend or someone keeping an eye on you and your state of mind. I just would hate for someone to have to go through the Hell I went through. Hope you feel better very soon.

Featured Member xbloodydewdropx's Avatar
    Thanks

i'm sorry you feel this way paint. almost 5 years ago i was assulted, and had panic attacks after that. some were from the drugs i took after said assult to cope, but they continued sometimes even after being clean. my doc gave me xanax and ativan to use as needed, and they could stop an attack. people are right in that benzos aren't good for the long term unless your situation really warrents it (they are addictive, and some people build up tolerances quickly). it's good to get at the root of the problem and use cognitive behavior stuff to resolve any issues and find coping skills to end attacks.

however, i found that having a pill or two on hand gave me the reassurance that if i had an attack, i could stop it with the pill. maybe this was purely psychosomatic. i wouldn't necessarily take it, but it was there in case i needed it, and therefore the fear of having an attack and its consequences subsided. this may or may not be right for you....but if dancing is a good thing in your life, then maybe continue it and have a pill as a backup. and talk to a good therapist to find the root of the problem and resolve it. good luck to you hun

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Rational Emotive Therapy and Zoloft.

Take two and call me in the morning. (you know what I mean)

(RET is the same, I believe, as behavior cognitive therapy mentioned below)
    Last edited by threlayer; 01-12-2006 at 12:32 PM.
    chances are if he looked at my profile he got an instant boner. Men get horny around me all the time. That is their fault.. not mine.
    Yeah! Right!
    Customers are not entitled to grope, disrespect, or rob strippers. This is their job, not their hobby, and they all need income. Clubs are not just some erotic show for guys to view while drinking.

NOTE: anything I post here, outside of a direct quote, is my opinion only, which I am entitled to. Take it for what you estimate it is worth.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Oh honey, I went through the same thing for a long time, and it came to a head a couple months ago. I have general anxiety and panic disorder. I know JUST what you're talking about. Panic attacks are the worst feeling in the world. I've actually lost consciousness during panic attacks several times in public (thankfully always when I was with someone), and it is so embarrassing and scary. Get yourself to a doctor so you can get meds immediately and relief. I was prescribed Klonopin as needed and an SSRI daily. The benzo was such an immediate relief, and the SSRI kicked in a few weeks later in helping with my general anxiety. Ultimately though, you need to do some type of cognitive therapy to learn how to coach yourself out of attacks. I'm in the process of finding therapy right now, because the success rate is so much higher with people who combine therapy and medication. One thing that helped me during my attacks was my husband. He's great. He would lay down in bed & cuddle with me and assure me everything would be all right. Something about feeling the warmth of another person made me feel sooo much better. The attacks would subside much faster and they were much milder once I had him to feel safe with and talk me through it. You'll be fine. I can't wait to have you back on the panic-free side

buffie06

Quote Originally Posted by paintgoddess
    Buffie, why would any trained professional stereotype you and screw you out of needed medication? Let me encourage you to go get what you need. It sounds like you might have social anxiety... I'm not a doctor and not sure. Here we are... the sick leading the sick...lol. But seriously... let me encourage you to go get some meds or go to someone that you can talk to. Professional therapists aren't going to tell you what to do... they help you figure that out for yourself. And if you need meds, you need meds.

If anything, it might help you to read up on anxiety so that you know you're not alone.

My regret now is not working... at least you're still suffering through. I can't believe I'm taking off work for this, but they're really that bad. I feel like $hit for being a pansy... but... what am i to do?
    You are right it is social anxiety, major at that. You can see it is my anxiety that also prevents me from getting medication. I try not to let the anxiety control me, but there are many times when I don't go to work at all for the fears I have. I have been to doctors and they try to put me on anti depressants instead of anti anxiety meds. I haven't been back since I started dancing though. I guess I will try to get up the nerve and go again. Thanks for the encouragement and good luck to you.

Thanks

Just wanted to give you all an update...

And a HUGE THANKS to all for your support and insight.

Im gonna try to start dancing again in a couple of nights, without meds. There are a LOT of issues that i've been ignoring for quite some time... and they've all come back to bash me in the back of the head at the worst time, dammit! I went back to my old therapist... and i dont know if it's gonna work out with her or not. I"m taking it a day at a time, and have weekly appointments with her.

I've read online that there is no way you can pass out or die from a panic attack...and once I was a little bit educated about it.. it made me feel like I have more control over them now. Thanks especially to Yek... you're right... I can coach myself out of them... it's awesome... and pretty self-empowering. It doesnt mean i'll never get another one, but I do know that IT"S JUST AN ATTACK and that i'm not going crazy even if i think i am.

Im not sure I really trust going on medication. Especially after what a few of you told me. I HATE drugs, but was desperate for a short-term solution to get me through the worst of this hump and get me back into my life and society as i'm used to.

I can't wait to dance again... I had my bootie shorts on and my platforms on last night and was wearing them around the house and dancing. I lost half of my bootie and a bit of my muscle tone from not eating all week though!! I've been force-feeding myself to keep my blood sugar up and to get the needed calories to get through the day. But I have NO APPETITE. IT returns for oh... about 2-5 minutes at a time, and then i get too freaked to eat. Bah... But I guess i'm on the uphill instead of the downhill. Two steps forward, one step back... etc etc etc.

Thank you SO MUCH ladies for jumping in with your advice and suggestions. you all are wonderful.

Thanks

Only who lives a panic attack can describe the hell!!!. I ts a VERY VERY TERRIFIC EXPERIENCE, you are able to kill yourself for avoiding the shymptoms. I ve lived about 6 panic attacks in my life, but one was the worst. It seems that i was going die!!. Believe me, drugs does not work!!! no no no. They can be addictive and you could fall in worse attacks. YOUR AUTOCONTROL IS THE WAY FOR FINISHING THE PROBLEM. Exercise was a very useful arm against th attacks, you can do a lot of exercise and your brain will produce more "serotonina", it seems incredible but the solution is in you, your actittude acomplished with exercise and avoid certainly substances like cafein, and another are the definitive solution
    God bless my friends
    Christian
    Ecuador