Thread: a little thread help please?

Thanks

Default a little thread help please?

I can't remember the name of the thread tha concerns that herb that youcan take and give your pets to calm them down.

I ave a Chi mix, and she's too wild, lol. I really don't mind it most of the time, except she always whines. I'm hoping if I give her this, it will calm her down a little, and make her not as vocal in her anxiety.

other than that, she a perfect dog, and maybe I am a little too sensitive to it since all my other dogs have been big and didn't do anything like that.

Thanks guys!

I know pet questions, really don't belong in body , but the original post was here, and I figured that you guys could direct me to it again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by ExoticEngineer View Post
    Feel like a damn salt lick at the goats petting zoo!
    <08SM>

Thanks

Default Re: a little thread help please?

No one remembers this?

It's an herbal supplment that is supposta relax you and can be used instead of like paxil and such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <08SM>

Thanks

I have three shih-tzus. Two females, one male. The females are very laid back and easy going. They will usually do what you want to do. The male is a wild man and is more attached to my husband than me. I thought getting him fixed would change things but he is naturally just a hyper dog. Everybody knows the command "lay down" but him. He likes to jump all over my furniture including my table and has broke things. When he starts getting too out of hand I put him in his crate. I yell at him sometimes too. If he doesn't want to listen he gets popped on the butt and told to go to your cage. He knows the command "go to your cage". And he knows he is being punished when he is in there. I refuse to live in a dog house. The dogs are living in my house and will obey me not visa versa. Maybe a trainer can help you or you can talk to your vet about some meds to calm him. But you can't alter his/her personality with meds. I think the best advise would be to get a trainer.

Thanks

No it's not like that at all.

She is very well behaved. She just get whiney when one of leaves or comes back. Like she has anxiety.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <08SM>

Thanks

I would comfort her and tell her it's okay, give her a treat or something like that. Let her go out and play or try to distract her from it. If she still doesn't calm down I would have to discipline her. Maybe put her in the cage when you know company is arriving. How old is she? People are always going to be coming and going. I have a good friend that has a little dog (mix breed) and she gets really excited and urinates on herself when company comes but she is fine after they leave. My dogs will bark if someone comes over but once they get settled in everything is fine. Maybe she feels inferior of other people being around you. Some dogs are really jealous and some just don't deal well with changes.

Thanks

I don't think yuo are really understanding. If it was something that small, I wouldn't care.

It's not all company, it's just when one of us leaves or comes back. (Her momma and daddy.)

If I know Luke is going to be back soon, I will have her in my lap till he walks in the door, and she will still whine until he comes in, same for me. No amount of petting or caressing, or treats will help.

She is too anxious, and if she were my daughter, I would put her anti axiety meds (herbal first though), and that's what I want to try with her (Tink).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <08SM>

Thanks

Oh, I am sorry. You mean not guests, just you and your S.O. My dogs get really hyper and excited too when my husband pulls up in the driveway. They can tell by the sound of the car it's him. Sure, I would ask you vet if you think it's an anxiety problem. I wouldn't want to try anything without knowing whether it would hurt him or her. I know the scent of Lavender is suppose to be calming. Maybe some lavender scented candles or incense?

Featured Member venusofwillendorf's Avatar
    Thanks

you can use valerian capsules safely on dogs. also, bach's herbal flower essences are excellent for dogs- try rescue remedy. i'm living with a dog with severe psychological problems right now, and those two are a lifesaver.
    be the change you wish to see in the world....
    ~ghandi

i really love your peaches wanna shake your tree....
    ~steve miller

why not?
    ~anon

Cally

There is a herbal meds we use on horses with anxiety problems called 'calmer' it might be the same thing you use on dogs? I would check pet stores... or talk to a vet that prefers natural and herbal over regular drugs.

Thanks

I don't know about herbs but I got my dog a DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) plug in. It is supposed to emit a subtle scent of a mother dog to calm the dog. You just plug it into the outlet. I think it might help my dog some but I'm not sure. She used to bite her tail a lot and she seems to have stopped.

Thanks

Rescue Remedy, or even better find someone certified to make Bach Flower Essences and have them concoct one for your dog.

Thanks

Kava Kava Root can be used for people anxiety. I might try this with my cat. She has been prescribed Valium by the vet before. She used to be on prescription antidepressents too. My little baby is a nutcase. I don't have the heart to put her down.

Featured Member venusofwillendorf's Avatar
    Thanks

there is some concern about kava kava toxicity in cats, lizette. they have strangely sensitive systems, and react badly to many different things. try a feliway plug in (like the dap, but for kitties). bach's rescure remedy is also great for cats.

if any of you know a veterinary acupuncturist, it seems to be very useful in helping pets with severe anxiety.
    be the change you wish to see in the world....
    ~ghandi

i really love your peaches wanna shake your tree....
    ~steve miller

why not?
    ~anon