Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: California going republican

  1. #1
    God/dess Deogol's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 50 Times in 35 Posts

    Default California going republican

    California sends another republican to the house of representatives.

    Democrats can't get their shit together enough to even send a rep from hippieland.

  2. #2
    Yekhefah
    Guest

    Default Re: California going republican

    Ha ha, I voted as a Republican in the primary election yesterday. That's a noteworthy thing in Hollywood, apparently! I walked in and since I'm registered independent, they asked if I'd like to vote in a party primary. "Yes," I said, "Republican." Everyone in the room stopped what they were doing and looked over at me. I guess a little blonde twentysomething in Hollywood doesn't fit the Republican profile, and I'm not a Republican (they are much too left-wing for me), but I wanted to give Schwarzenegger another shot, so. There was a whole row of Democrat booths and only one Republican booth. That's Hollywood for you!

    But yay, both the propositions were defeated, so I feel like I accomplished something in that regard!

  3. #3
    God/dess dlabtot's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Location
    in your dreams, in my nightmares
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 139 Times in 85 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    Quote Originally Posted by Deogol
    Democrats can't get their shit together enough to even send a rep from hippieland.

    CA-50 = hippieland? LOL what a totally uninformed comment.

  4. #4
    God/dess Deogol's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 50 Times in 35 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    Quote Originally Posted by dlabtot
    CA-50 = hippieland? LOL what a totally uninformed comment.

    I am not uninformed - I use to live there. It's just fun to call California hippieland.

    I should have been more specific and called it barbie land - cuz there is so much plastic surgery they are more and more like barbie.

  5. #5
    God/dess dlabtot's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Location
    in your dreams, in my nightmares
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 139 Times in 85 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    Here is the breakdown for voter registration in that district:


    * Democrats: 105,504 (29.69% of registered voters)
    * Republicans: 156.437 (44.02%)
    * Independent: 7,812 (2.20%)
    * Green: 2,373 (0.67%)
    * Libertarian: 2,232 (0.63%)
    * Natural Law: 666 (0.19% )
    * Peace and Freedom: 582 (0.16%)
    * Other: 1,791 (0.50%)
    * Decline to state: 78,012 (21.95%)
    Source: http://www.ss.ca.gov/elections/ror/1...gressional.pdf

    Those are the facts, though of course, I don't expect you to be interested in a fact-based, reality-based discussion.

  6. #6
    God/dess Deogol's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 50 Times in 35 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    What a quaint barb. I am sure you are so impressive.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Location
    houston
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    its is a republican district. a republican is suppose to win, he should have won by a bigger margin.

  8. #8
    Temporarily Banned Vaughn's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    Quote Originally Posted by Yekhefah
    I'm not a Republican (they are much too left-wing for me)
    Is that just a Cali thing? I have never heard anyone say that Republicans were too left-wing before

    Where I come from Republicans are the polar opposite. Polar isn't even a strong enough word to describe how far apart the two terms are in my personal experiences.

  9. #9
    God/dess Deogol's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 50 Times in 35 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn
    Is that just a Cali thing? I have never heard anyone say that Republicans were too left-wing before

    Where I come from Republicans are the polar opposite. Polar isn't even a strong enough word to describe how far apart the two terms are in my personal experiences.

    I think she is saying something like "I am so far right, the Republicans are left of me."

    Of course, dlabtot might be able to explain the joke to you - or maybe not.

  10. #10
    Temporarily Banned Vaughn's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    Quote Originally Posted by Deogol
    I think she is saying something like "I am so far right, the Republicans are left of me."

    Of course, dlabtot might be able to explain the joke to you - or maybe not.
    Ah, I see now but was that a personal dig at me

    If so, why?

  11. #11
    Yekhefah
    Guest

    Default Re: California going republican

    The Republicans like to call themselves "conservative" but they are not. Conservativism is about small, limited government, low taxes, personal responsibility, and personal freedom. The modern Republican Party controls the White House and both houses of Congress, yet the national debt has increased more than under all 20th century administrations combined. Taxes are obscene, women's rights to their own bodies are being curtailed (with the so-called "conservative" party calling for even more restraint), the government spies on its citizens and demands more and more powers not within its legitimate constitutional authority.

    In other words, whatever its rhetoric, the Republican Party is now just as left-wing as the Democratic Party. Both are abusing their power and overstepping their bounds. I don't agree with the Libertarian Party on everything, but at least they are actually conservative.

  12. #12
    God/dess Casual Observer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    5,670
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 143 Times in 73 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    ^ There's a reason GWB is called the modern-day LBJ.
    Idealism is fine, but as it approaches reality, the costs become prohibitive.

    William F. Buckley, Jr.

  13. #13
    Temporarily Banned Vaughn's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    Quote Originally Posted by Yekhefah
    The Republicans like to call themselves "conservative" but they are not. Conservativism is about small, limited government, low taxes, personal responsibility, and personal freedom. The modern Republican Party controls the White House and both houses of Congress, yet the national debt has increased more than under all 20th century administrations combined. Taxes are obscene, women's rights to their own bodies are being curtailed (with the so-called "conservative" party calling for even more restraint), the government spies on its citizens and demands more and more powers not within its legitimate constitutional authority.

    In other words, whatever its rhetoric, the Republican Party is now just as left-wing as the Democratic Party. Both are abusing their power and overstepping their bounds. I don't agree with the Libertarian Party on everything, but at least they are actually conservative.
    Thankyou for the detailed explanation, Yekhefah. I can certainly understand why you would feel that way about modern day Republicans. I also very much agree with you about the Libertarian party

    I think the U.S. needs more Libertarian party members in government!

  14. #14
    Yekhefah
    Guest

    Default Re: California going republican

    Start voting Libertarian, then!

  15. #15
    madmaxine
    Guest

    Default Re: California going republican

    ****Warning****

    Rant ahead

    If it takes this state swinging toward traditionally, truly Republican ideals, fine...it really sucks here. The cost of living has pushed most middle class California residents into paycheck-to-paycheck existence. Our taxes are so high but nothing ever gets better.

    Where I live, the worst offense is CalTrans not getting roadworks projects finished in time with population growth....this is raising the death rate from motor vehicle accidents.

    I'll take any solution at this point.

    *Ping* I just spoke to some US Postal Service Employees who told me their Retirement funds are getting razed. I told them CalPERS lost money on Enron (yes, CA invested in Enron, look it up) & I was so glad I had separated my pension share from that fund.
    Don't trust the government...they're just a big fricking Mafia, but not run as tightly as La Cosa Nostra. LOL
    Last edited by madmaxine; 06-08-2006 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Erronous grammar + Add Ranting

  16. #16
    God/dess dlabtot's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Location
    in your dreams, in my nightmares
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 139 Times in 85 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    Quote Originally Posted by Yekhefah
    The Republicans like to call themselves "conservative" but they are not. Conservativism is about small, limited government, low taxes, personal responsibility, and personal freedom. The modern Republican Party controls the White House and both houses of Congress, yet the national debt has increased more than under all 20th century administrations combined. Taxes are obscene, women's rights to their own bodies are being curtailed (with the so-called "conservative" party calling for even more restraint), the government spies on its citizens and demands more and more powers not within its legitimate constitutional authority.

    In other words, whatever its rhetoric, the Republican Party is now just as left-wing as the Democratic Party. Both are abusing their power and overstepping their bounds. I don't agree with the Libertarian Party on everything, but at least they are actually conservative.
    I don't really understand why you lump the Democrats together with the Republicans... with the Repubs in control of all three branches of government, I don't see what power the Democrats can abuse.

    I certainly agree with your criticisms of the Republican party, although not with your labelling. That is what the Republican party is all about - dishonest rhetoric used to mask policies that benefit the rich and the corporate class at the expense of the people. Yes there are a lot of idealistic people who believe the rhetoric, but they are not the people in power.

    Mussolini described fascism as the marriage of corporate and government power and that is just what you are seeing now in our country where corporate interests are even invited to write the legislation that is supposed to regulate them.

    FWIW, I'm a libertarian and a Democrat.

  17. #17
    Yekhefah
    Guest

    Default Re: California going republican

    I see no difference between the two parties, beyond their rhetoric. Democrat administrations favor their wealthy corporate sponsors just as much. They're just a little more sly about it.

    The problem is the political mindset in general. Public office is a joke nowadays; it's so sleazy and snoopy that decent people don't go into politics anymore. So whether the person has a D or an R next to his name, he's still most likely a corrupt sleazebag out to line his own pockets.

  18. #18
    Temporarily Banned Vaughn's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    Quote Originally Posted by Yekhefah
    Start voting Libertarian, then!
    When the option is there I do vote Libertarian. However it isn't a very common option Thus I usually vote Democrat because their stance on social issues is more in line with my own.

    The hate that takes such precedence in the modern day Republican position on social issues is extremely disturbing to me. Maybe if there were more "real" Republicans I'd vote that way from time to time. But that isn't the case these days. Sigh.

  19. #19
    God/dess dlabtot's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Location
    in your dreams, in my nightmares
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 139 Times in 85 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    You know there was an interesting thread on DailyKos yesterday on this topic:

    Traditional "libertarianism" holds that government is evil and thus must be minimized. Any and all government intrusion is bad. While practical libertarians (as opposed to those who waste their votes on the Libertarian Party) have traditionally aligned themselves with the Republicans, it's clear that the modern GOP has no qualms about trampling on personal liberties. Heck, it's become their raison d' etre.

    The problem with this form of libertarianism is that it assumes that only two forces can infringe on liberty -- the government and other individuals.

    The Libertarian Democrat understands that there is a third danger to personal liberty -- the corporation. The Libertarian Dem understands that corporations, left unchecked, can be huge dangers to our personal liberties.

    Libertarian Dems are not hostile to government like traditional libertarians. But unlike the liberal Democrats of old times (now all but extinct), the Libertarian Dem doesn't believe government is the solution for everything. But it sure as heck is effective in checking the power of corporations.

    In other words, government can protect our liberties from those who would infringe upon them -- corporations and other individuals.

    So in practical terms, what does a Libertarian Dem look like? A Libertarian Dem rejects government efforts to intrude in our bedrooms and churches. A Libertarian Dem rejects government "Big Brother" efforts, such as the NSA spying of tens of millions of Americans. A Libertarian Dem rejects efforts to strip away rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights -- from the First Amendment to the 10th. And yes, that includes the 2nd Amendment and the right to bear arms.

    So far, this isn't much different than what a traditional libertarian believes. Here is where it begins to differ (and it shouldn't).

    A Libertarian Dem believes that true liberty requires freedom of movement -- we need roads and public transportation to give people freedom to travel wherever they might want. A Libertarian Dem believes that we should have the freedom to enjoy the outdoor without getting poisoned; that corporate polluters infringe on our rights and should be checked. A Libertarian Dem believes that people should have the freedom to make a living without being unduly exploited by employers. A Libertarian Dem understands that no one enjoys true liberty if they constantly fear for their lives, so strong crime and poverty prevention programs can create a safe environment for the pursuit of happiness. A Libertarian Dem gets that no one is truly free if they fear for their health, so social net programs are important to allow individuals to continue to live happily into their old age. Same with health care. And so on.

    The core Democratic values of fairness, opportunity, and investing in our nation and people very much speak to the concept of personal liberties -- an open society where success is predicated on the merit of our ideas and efforts, unduly burdened by the government, corporate America, or other individuals. And rather than always get in the way, government can facilitate this.

    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/6/7/131550/7297

  20. #20
    Yekhefah
    Guest

    Default Re: California going republican

    Traditional "libertarianism" holds that government is evil and thus must be minimized. Any and all government intrusion is bad.
    Actually, that's not true. What this describes is anarchy, not libertarianism. Some government is necessary for a smoothly-functioning society; however, it should stay within its legitimate boundaries. In this country, those boundaries are spelled out in the federal Constitution, state constitutions, city charters, etc. There is nothing "evil" about the desire to keep government within these perfectly reasonable constraints.

    (as opposed to those who waste their votes on the Libertarian Party)
    Wow, no bias there!
    Translation of a "wasted vote": "a vote my party didn't get."

    I vote for candidates, not parties. If the Democratic Party is bitter because it is losing votes to third parties, then perhaps it should run better candidates. I see no reason to vote for candidates who do not represent my values, just because they have a particular party affiliation.

    This country has not always had Republicans vs. Democrats. Lots of parties have come and gone. They start out with new ideas, get comfortable, and then get replaced when they cease to make a difference. This happens through third-party votes.

  21. #21
    God/dess dlabtot's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Location
    in your dreams, in my nightmares
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 139 Times in 85 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    Quote Originally Posted by Yekhefah
    I vote for candidates, not parties. If the Democratic Party is bitter because it is losing votes to third parties, then perhaps it should run better candidates.
    First off, it would be better not to conflate individuals who happen to call themselves Democrats, Republicans, or Libertarians, with the political parties of the same name.

    And I'm certainly not bitter about losing votes to Libertarians because they've never gotten enough votes to matter. There is a Constitution Party that is organized pretty strongly here in Montana, and they tend to take away more votes from the Republicans than the Democrats, I say, yay Constitution Party! lol

    I see no reason to vote for candidates who do not represent my values, just because they have a particular party affiliation.
    I certainly would not either. In fact I actively work within the party to have candidates and a platform that do represent my values. That's part of the process, too. Look at what the grassroots are doing in CT, they are trying to take down an incumbent Senator because he's not representing them, and they have a good shot at it. I hope to do the same thing here in 2008.

    This country has not always had Republicans vs. Democrats. Lots of parties have come and gone. They start out with new ideas, get comfortable, and then get replaced when they cease to make a difference. This happens through third-party votes.
    What we now call the Democratic Party had it's origins way back with Jefferson but didnt really coalesce into a party until Jackson's day (1830s). Which caused the formation of the Whig's in opposition. The Whig's lasted only a few decades, and were replaced by the Republicans in the 1850s. And it's been Democrat vs Republican ever since.
    more details: Evolution of American political parties from the Revolution to the Reconstruction

  22. #22
    God/dess Deogol's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,493
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 50 Times in 35 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn
    When the option is there I do vote Libertarian. However it isn't a very common option Thus I usually vote Democrat because their stance on social issues is more in line with my own.

    The hate that takes such precedence in the modern day Republican position on social issues is extremely disturbing to me. Maybe if there were more "real" Republicans I'd vote that way from time to time. But that isn't the case these days. Sigh.

    But the democrats just smile and stab you in the back. Gore's wife started the Parents Music Resource Center - in other words attempts to censor and fine radio stations for playing certain types of music.

    They sound all alternative energy and such until the time comes for it to show up in their back yard (aka Kennedy not wanting wind turbines on his horizon) - nor have they ever really financed anything. Just a lot of hot air.

    Take a look at the schools and the like in many democratically controlled areas too.

    I don't mean to make ya feel helpless, but they are the same man, they are the same.

    Just write yourself in!

  23. #23
    Yekhefah
    Guest

    Default Re: California going republican

    ^^^ <wild applause>

  24. #24
    God/dess dlabtot's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Location
    in your dreams, in my nightmares
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 139 Times in 85 Posts

    Default Re: California going republican

    To compare the misguided efforts 20 years ago of the private citizen wife of a Democratic politician who hasn't even been in office for five years, with the ongoing assault on the constitution by the people actually in charge of the government is ludicrous.

    The Republicans in power are spying on Americans with warrants, compiling databases of every phone call made in the United States, holding American citizens without charges, kidnapping people and whisking them off to secret prisons, torturing people who havent even been charged with crimes, ignoring the parts of the law they don't choose to abide by with 'signing statements', starting wars of aggression on false premises, ad nauseum, and you are saying that because Tipper Gore (not even a politician, btw) started the PMRC, Republicans and Democrats are the same?

  25. #25
    Yekhefah
    Guest

    Default Re: California going republican

    You don't think any of that happened under Clinton? Really?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. republican political comedy IS possible ...
    By Melonie in forum Member Boards
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 03:54 PM
  2. In Hollywood, Republican is the new Gay !
    By Melonie in forum Member Boards
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 08:07 PM
  3. You Know You're a Republican/Democrat If...
    By Budai in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 12:14 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-14-2007, 04:17 PM
  5. democrat or republican?
    By juan in forum General Board
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 07:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •