Thread: How to balance job and "real" job....

Thanks

How to balance job and "real" job....

Ok im going to start dancing this Friday and I have a set schedule its
    wensday - night 6:30PM-1AM
    thursday - night 6:30PM-1AM
    friday - night 6:30PM-1AM
    Saturday - Day 12PM-6:30PM
    and maybe ill pick up a Sunday day/night....

I have 2 kids and a regular job fulltime during the week Mon-Fri 8AM-4:30PM....

Do you think its too much or should I be able to get used to it and deal with it... I really didnt want to work less than 4 days/nights a week.... To be honest I would rather cut the hours at my regular job (i hate it here)....

~kisses~
    If you love something let it go, If it comes back to you....

Take it out back and bury it!

Tell Kylie how you like it...

Thanks

Default Re: How to balance job and "real" job....

i think it's a bit much...
    you're doing 4 full shifts a week which is basically full time...Plus a regular full time job...
    i mean, wed-fri you'll be working about 15 hours a day... Plus kids.
    That's nuts, but maybe you can handle it.
    But If i even work even 3 days in a row, i'm exhausted.
    I do 4 shifts a week which are spread out through the week and goto school and that is exhausting enough for me. But maybe you'll handle it fine...

Thanks

I'm still new to this myself, but I was just going to ask the same question to see how other girls handle this. I only work 1 night during the week, then weekends, but I am required to stay until 3 am and I have 1 1/2 hour drive home and have to up at 6:30 to go to work. So needless to say I don't get much sleep that day.

I think it sounds like you are going to be taking on a very big work load. I don't think I could be away from my family that much.

Amanda

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I don't do a 9-5er. I work Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat 4pm -1 am.

During the day I spend time with my kids. I have 2 also. 3 1/2 year old daughter, 8 month old son. They and my Honey are my entire life.

Does your day job give you health benefits? Because those are important. Luckily for me I am covered under Dudes... but, HEALTH INSURANCE is important. Especially in this profession.

Thanks

No I get my health insurance through the state so I dont have to take my health insurance here (which is ridiculously expensive) so im all set with that.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Stick with dancing for a few weeks... 4 at the least. See how everything flys, $$, timing ,if you really like it. Then cut back the hours at which ever job gives you the least money.

Thanks

good idea thanks

Thanks

your schedule is going to kill you! You have a full time day job and you are working more hours than most full-time dancers.

I used to do both a 9-5 and dance. I was able to handle it doing Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. That's it! I lived about 45 minutes from the club, so I remember feeling like I was going to fall asleep at the wheel all the time (bad) and I don't have kids.

I would suggest NOT doing Saturday day shift. It's pretty bad and you're already drained. And have at least one day a week where you don't work at all. if you work every day, you will have nothing to look forward to every week and no time to spend doing normal stuff with your family.

Thanks

well I have to do Saturday Day because its mandatory to do atleast one day shift and I cant do it during the week because I have my normal job. So I have to do atleast that Saturday Day. I think I might drop Wensday after a few weeks if it really gets to me, but if im making more money dancing then im going to go part time at my regular job... its 8AM-12PM.

Thanks

you will make more money. After about a year of doing both, I dropped my day job and just dance full time now. It's three years since I did that and it's been good for me.

Yekhefah

When are you going to raise your children?

Thanks

its so fing hard, but you can do it if I can do it every other week maybe take a thursday off!!!! I work a full time job another part time job and dance 3 nights a week I like it but I feel wore like an old shoe. Its only for a little while

Thanks

you have to do weekend shifts thats where the $ is at least at my club

Thanks

Ive decided to not work on Sunday at all. They dont have that many girls right now (alot of them went to this new club that opened up recently) so for right now 4 shifts a week is mandatory until they get more girls. And one day shift is mandatory out of those 4 shifts so thats why I picked the shifts I did because of babysitting situations. Im going through a divorse right now and Im home with my mom and shes gonna help me out. Im gonna try it for a few weeks and then see which makes more money and then cut the hours at the other job.

Thanks

I think that is a little too much to start off with...Right now I bartend at night and I am going to audition tonight for a dancing position...Point being, you already have a full-time job and 2 children...I know how it is, I have a 2 year old daughter and do the 9-5 mon-fri thing...When I picked up my night job, I started out monday, 7-2, wednesday, 7-2, and every other saturday, 6:30-3:30...Trust me, that is plenty to wear you out, plus, It really sucks after a couple weeks when I realize how much time with my daughter I am sacrificing. I am hoping to dance 2 nights a week now, and It should be plenty. I know you feel like you really just need the money, but you can always add on shifts, and for me, I don't like cutting down the hours I work...Anyway, sorry for the length of this, but I really do hope you read it and understand that I know what its like, and it basically sucks

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

You'll burn yourself out really quick if you work that much. When do you plan on getting any sleep in there, not to mention a little time for yourself. I work 3 sometimes 4 days a week at my "regular" job and dance 2-3 times per week depending on my day job schedule. I'm usually working 6 days a week but I rarely will do a full day at my regular job and then a full night shift. I've done it before, worked 7-4 (real job), 8-3 dancing job, so basically a 16 hour work day. You can do it but you'll be so drained the next day, you'll need to sleep at least 10 hours, maybe more. Maybe try only dancing Wed, Fri, Sat. You definitely need to take a break after 2 days of dancing (I do anyway), by day 3, I'm bitchy and so not in the mood to even talk to anyone. You'll figure it out what works best for you and your kids. Good luck.

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Hey,

That's great advice as I'm thinking of starting in this line of work too but the main thing/worry for me is if I get recognised by work collegues from my day job. The club I am wanting to start in is about 50 mins drive from where I live/work but I have heard that some of the men from my work have gone there for special work celebrations! I need advice as to if any dancers have been in this situation of getting recognised if they dance part time and how do they cope with it?

Ta x

Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding

if they recognize you, they will spend money.

i'm pretty sure they are attracted to you anyway.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Corgan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

the thing about dancing is that you have to put in 100% to make any money. you can't be tired or not feeling good, and you are going to be extremely tired with a schedule like that. i used to dance tues, wed, thurs, fri, & sat on nightshift (7pm - 2:30am) and i would just lay around on sunday and monday because i needed time to recover. after going to bed at 3am every night i don't wake up until noon the next day or later! so i could have NEVER worked a 9-5 day job every day in addition to stripping. there were days when my legs and back were so sore that it was painful to do simple things like sit down and get up again. even though it gets a lot easier once you get in shape, it is extremely tiring. but if you are up for the challenge you are going to have a very nice income.
    hits from the boooong

Banned
    Thanks

This may be a dumb question but why are/were alot of you girls working a full time "regular" job AND dancing full time? For the insurence/stability or just a workolcholic? That just seems like overkill to me, unless there are outstanding circumstances that you have to take care of. I just can't see needing money like that, that bad. Im just curious as to why yall choose to work like that?

Thanks

this is in response to joplin:

it is sad, but sometimes stripping is so unreliable that we have to work regular day jobs just to have some guaranteed income. sometimes there are bad nights where we work a whole 8-hour shift and only leave with like $50 after house fee, which is about the equivilant of minimum wage. so if we have a regular job, then at least we can be sure that our income is decent.
    hits from the boooong

Thanks

I have a 9-5 job, AND I teach pole 3 nights a week until 9.30. My club gets pissed that I only work once a week (I either do fri or sat). It's more than enough for me, and I am feeling the burnout!

Honestly, what's the point of earning money if you don't have time to enjoy what you've done with it? Even if you say it's just to pay the rent, if you are never in your place, then what are you paying for?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    your schedule is going to kill you! You have a full time day job and you are working more hours than most full-time dancers.

I used to do both a 9-5 and dance. I was able to handle it doing Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. That's it! I lived about 45 minutes from the club, so I remember feeling like I was going to fall asleep at the wheel all the time (bad) and I don't have kids.

I would suggest NOT doing Saturday day shift. It's pretty bad and you're already drained. And have at least one day a week where you don't work at all. if you work every day, you will have nothing to look forward to every week and no time to spend doing normal stuff with your family.
    I agree with Emily. Before my son was born I worked both a day job and danced 3 nights a week. It was hard! I was a walking zombie most days. Don't burn yourself out before you even get started.