Thread: s-video cables

God/dess
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default s-video cables

I got my wife a tivo for christmas, I went to hook it up and I had to unplug the dvd player to hook up the tivo. I have 2 sets of hook ups on the back of my tv, one has the all importaint ps2 hooked up and the tivo to the other. I have a sony home theatre system and I can hook up everything to run throught it, but I can't get a video to come on the tv. When I hook up the video s cable from the system to the tv I get nothing. If I unhook it the tivo comes on and I can see the ps2. Do I have to have a s cable and the red, white and yellow cables hooked up? Or do I need to unhook the yellow video cable? Can anyone help me out?
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Thanks

Default Re: s-video cables

Quote Originally Posted by big_daddy View Post
    I got my wife a tivo for christmas, I went to hook it up and I had to unplug the dvd player to hook up the tivo. I have 2 sets of hook ups on the back of my tv, one has the all importaint ps2 hooked up and the tivo to the other. I have a sony home theatre system and I can hook up everything to run throught it, but I can't get a video to come on the tv. When I hook up the video s cable from the system to the tv I get nothing. If I unhook it the tivo comes on and I can see the ps2. Do I have to have a s cable and the red, white and yellow cables hooked up? Or do I need to unhook the yellow video cable? Can anyone help me out?
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking... but

TVs usually have S-video modes. You might have to select it within the menu of the tv. Or you could use the RCA cables (Red, White, Yellow) for it but the picture wont be as good as the S-video. You will still use the Red and White for the audio either way.

Their website has some diagrams.
    http://customersupport.tivo.com/Laun...chor=undefined

God/dess
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks I'm going to do some more trial and error. I will check to see if my tv has a setting like that.
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

God/dess
    Thanks

Getting video out of the hi-fi can be a pain in the ass. Generally I could do it by setting the hi-fi to the video option, or the correct video option. It does work, but in my experience I've found switch boxes or the built in to the tv inputs better. Pity most TVs don't have enough inputs. Last big tv had 4 so just plug everything in, and use av/input to cycle through them. Much easier than the stereo option.

Use the same video in / video out throughout the operation. If you use some RCA (red, white and yellow cables) and some S-Video, you'll find that S-video works on S-video and not with RCA. Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by cherryripeboy; 12-31-2006 at 07:45 PM.
    One more cup of coffee for the road,
    One more cup of coffee 'fore I go
    To the valley below....

Slowly moseying my way to the exit.
    A Blogging?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It could also be that you had both the S-Video and RCA hookups under the same Line inputs causing a conflict (i.e., Line 1 should be S-Video only, Line 2 should be your PS2, etc.)