Thread: saving tips for particular goal

Thanks

Default saving tips for particular goal

I am trying to save $5,000AU because I want to get rhinoplasty (aka nose job).
    I am really REALLY bad with money, I just spend everything I make.

So I have decided to work 3 nights per week (maybe 4) and if I am averaging between $300 and $500 per shift how much should I expect to be able to save and how long for?

I probably sound really dumb but I don't ever seem to be able to save anything.
    I have started a savings diary to try to keep track of what I am earning and my expenses.

I still live at home so my only expenses are:

Mobile phone bill - approx $90-$100 per month.
    House fee - $30 per shift X 3 shifts = $90 per week.
    Spray tan - $35 per week.
    Then I have my other cosmetics etc that I use for work I am not sure how much these would cost me.

Can anyone help me out here?
    Thanks

Thanks

Default Re: saving tips for particular goal

wait a sec, you count your housefee as an expense? are you making 3-500 *before* paying housefee?? im good at budgeting.. but that's important info to know before i can really help you jaizaine. but btw, i like the new avatar.

edit:

ok, putting the above question aside, assuming you bring home on average anywhere from 300-500 a night (avged at 400) you make approx 1200 a week. therefore that's 4800 a month. your total expenses ignoring the housefees add up to around $240 a month. 4800-240 = 4560. now, we all know that none of us can manage to *not* spend some of what we make, so lets say you budget yourself $1000 a month that you are ALLOWED to spend on anything including food, movies etc.. that seems fair to me. now you should be saving $3560 a month. therefore, if you do this for 2 months, you will have more than enough for a nose job and then some.

bottom line, you shouldn't be spending more than a thousand to 1500 a month, so the rest should be saved, regardless of what you are saving for- make it your goal to save $38,000-40,000 in 2007. and that may sound overwhelming but girl, you make in the high fifties! you can do it! goals are important, and hopefully you will be able to stick to it. if you make more than 1200 in a given week, treat yourself by spending the excess on a new purse/pair of jeans etc. this method works best. plus, if you ever got hurt and couldn't work, you'd need some cash to help you get thru the months you couldnt work in. just friendly advice.

Love it!

Thanks

get an ING online account - call it 'rhino' or something else cute and pick up your 6% interest for zero fees. it hooks up to your regular bank account and you can just syphon off your nose money over there.

upside to those accounts is that you have to wait 'overnight' to raid it... which takes the glow off pillaging your savings.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy68 View Post
    wait a sec, you count your housefee as an expense? are you making 3-500 *before* paying housefee??

Oh I was talking about house fee included. I pay $30 before each shift and I would say my average is usually about $430 - sometimes it's closer to $400 but sometimes it's about $530. Then I have to minus the house fee from what I earned that night to work out what I actually earned.

but btw, i like the new avatar.

Thanks!

just friendly advice.
    thanks Chrissy that's really excellent advise. much appreciated!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    get an ING online account - call it 'rhino' or something else cute and pick up your 6% interest for zero fees. it hooks up to your regular bank account and you can just syphon off your nose money over there.

upside to those accounts is that you have to wait 'overnight' to raid it... which takes the glow off pillaging your savings.
    i actually have a similar account, an online one with st george bank. i agree that waiting period is definately good and has saved me many times from buying shoes!

Thanks

If you're working 3 nights a week, a really easy way to do it might be to use the first night's earnings as your spending/expenses money, and the other two go straight into an envelope that gets marched straight to the bank at the end of the week. You should be able to save up in 2 months easy.

Feature costumes for sale!

Thanks

I'm saving for a big purchase too (horse!!!) and my method is to take 10% off of every paycheck (corporate) or every night I work (at the club)...for the paycheck, I have 10% taken right off, so that way I don't have to have that battle of wills about putting that 10% away...as for the club money, i'm like a little kid, and put that 10% in an envelope and seal it, to prevent myself from just spending it, and keeping that envelope sealed until I can make the next trip to the bank to deposit it.

Thanks

I'm just the opposite, when I have something to save for specifically, I'm really good about it. It's only when it comes to times when there's nothing specific to save for that I spend a lot-- I need to get better at considering "savings" something specific, but it's not as easy as a short-term goal.