Thread: What do you do to keep on track?

God/dess
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default What do you do to keep on track?

I am now on the weight loss band wagon. I have been going to the gym and have been cutting back on food intake. I know some what to do to loose weight, but not on what it takes to keep on track. How do you do it? My wife told me if I reach my goal weight she will buy me one of these...(look at pic now). Do rewards work for any of you? Mast has somewhat inspired me, but I have been on this wagon for 2 weeks now. My reason is health and I want a new job. I'm lost on what Masts reasons were. I have done it before, I once lost 115 lbs but I have gained it all back plus about 20 - 25 lbs more. I really need ideas if any of ya got any to give.
    Last edited by big_daddy; 01-10-2007 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Was not done.
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

God/dess
    Thanks

Default Re: What do you do to keep on track?

They say it takes 21 days to create a habit....youre almost there.
    The thing thats helping me now is doing it in 5lbs incriments. That way 10-15lbs doesnt seem so huge when its in smaller chunks. Shoot if someone was going to buy me a car (well before I bought one) Id be loosing weight left and right!

Oh yea I prepare food in bulk. That way I eat almost the same thing for at least 3-4 days. Dont have to think about what to eat when I need food. I try to eat the same thing at least a week in a row before I want a change.

Good Luck!!
    you live like an ivy vine
    you can only survive by clinging onto trees
    that's your flaw
    put down some roots so you can stand on your own
    -Kenpachi

God/dess
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks I never thought about makeing up food like that. I will have to try that. I have a loooooooooooong way to go to my target weight. So I'm making a lot of smaller ones. Like 25 lbs by my birthday 5 months away. I think I can reach that goal faster but I want to be realistic.

Wow I just figured up how much I have to loose to get the jeep. It's like a stripper and a half. Crap I have a lot of work to do!
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Thanks

shoot, the Jeep ought to be a good motivation right there!

I recently started getting back to trying to eat healthier. I went and bought a bunch of veggies and chicken and turkey and fruit and a blender also to make smoothies with the fruit. I'm not a huge fan of fruit but I like it all mushed up in a smoothie. Also, I try to think of how good for me what I'm eating is, and then I remember how much I paid for all that food too so I better eat it! I am not really big on cooking and work a lot so I need to get more like TigersMilk and start cooking a bunch and freeze it.

I allow myself some cheating on the weekends. In my opinion, if you totally deny yourself something you crave it drives you nuts where as if you get it out of your system you'll be fine. That's just me though. Some people can eat perfectly all week long and forever and ever but I'm not one of them.

Lola Rose

I use rewards for everything! Call me undeciplined, I don't care. The only way I can really accomplish things that aren't fun to to get something out of it. I reward myself for reaching monetary goals, going to work a more then 3x a week. Doing my math homework, washing dishes.

the rewards can be small..... just as long as they work. Like, for every 2 math problems, I "earned" 5 minutes of computer time. Or once I've saved x amount of $, I get a spa day/ipod/designer shoes. I only get starbucks on my way to work or school. I can't go to a movie until I've worked 3 days that week.

Idk, some people just do well with rewards....

try coming up with smaller ones for yourself, like, say you want to go to the gym 5x a week. Once you've done that, go to a movie, do something nice for yourself, w/ev. A car is a great reward, but it's too long term. Maye try coming up with more short term things for every 10-15?

best of luck!

Thanks

Surround yourself with positive energy and influences. Put reminders of what your goals are in places you can see them. For instance, I'm training for a figure competition, so my refrigerator has pictures of hot fitness models all over it.

When I feel compelled to cheat, I stop myself, and THINK about the repercussions. Is it worth it? Will the few moments of satisfaction be worth the remorse? I usually think myself out of it.

You've done it before! Think back to how good you felt and looked last time you lost the weight. Commit to getting back there again. You deserve it. Life is TOO SHORT to sit back and dream about things happening - MAKE them happen!!!

Darcy Foxx

i constantly say to myself, "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels". that's my motto at the moment. i know that's a very common 'pro-anorexia' saying but i don't mean it to that extent. but whenever i think to myself, "oooh, i feel like some fries", i have a little mental debate with myself

"i want some fries"
    "no! bad!"
    "but they're soooo good"
    "no, have a carrot instead"
    "but fries taste better than a carrot!"
    "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels"

and that wins my little mental argument. another thing that motivates me is thinking about things people have said to me, for example i have had countless photographers, agents, modeling industry people tell me, "you have the perfect face for modeling... it's a shame about your body". i keep reminding myself of that, and telling myself how successful i could be if i can become thinner.

Thanks

I know this sounds hard... but it works... at least for me...

I cut out all fast food. I dont' even go near it... I prepare everything myself, and I eat at home as much as possible. If I am faced with having to eat out, I stick strictly to the salad menu.

Get some Tonalin CLA (at GNC) to assist with your fat burning.. I saw amazing results when I lost my last 24 pounds (which has stayed off for two plus years now), Start with taking two caplets twice per day... working up to four per day.. do your cardio and your weights on alternating days... you only need twenty minutes of cardio contrary to what people say..

As for cravings... cutting out sugar is probably the hardest thing, for me it wasn't that hard because I found that once I cut it out, I felt better, I also have a blood/sugar inbalance that I wasn't aware of until I did this... so now, if I have sugar, it really whacks me out if I have too much.

Southbeach diet has a lot of yummy things to help you with those sugar cravings though... I swear by their peanutbutter cereal bars.. they have 4 grams of sugar and 10 grams of protein per serving... this is dessert for me or when I feel like something sweet I grab one of these.

Get lots of fiber, drink lots of water and stick to lean meats and veggies...

Good luck!

[/URL]
    [/URL]

Chicagoeditor

Quote Originally Posted by Gynger View Post
    I cut out all fast food. I dont' even go near it... I prepare everything myself, and I eat at home as much as possible.

Yes. Keep away from Fast Food. Read "Fast Food Nation" if you want to make yourself literally sick at the thought of having a Big Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Gynger View Post

Get some Tonalin CLA (at GNC) to assist with your fat burning.. I saw amazing results when I lost my last 24 pounds (which has stayed off for two plus years now), Start with taking two caplets twice per day... working up to four per day..
    4 a day? I was taking 1/day, saw no effect and quit. I'll go back to it, based on Gynger's report! (I've lost 27lbs but seem to be stuck at the moment. )

BrunetteGoddess

I'm watching this thread because I've been slacking. No more are the days of stick thin CF.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Weighing yourself weekly as you get thinner shows your progress and makes you reluctant to mess it up, as does fitting into smaller clothes. Also keep a mental picture of what you want to look like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Foxx View Post
    i constantly say to myself, "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels".
    I love this saying! It works so well and it's so simple. I've been saying it to myself for the last few weeks and have managed to keep off those pesky 10 pounds I just lost.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Fast food is almost out, once a week is it. I get to have 2 dognuts sunday mornings too. I drink diet soda but I'm going to cut that out too. Cutting the sugar is going to kill me.
    Yes the jeep is keeping me going, but will it be enough in 2 weeks, 2 months....etc.
    My biggest problem is while working out on the elliptical machine it hurts my feet but I love it. The bottoms of my feet and toes tingle and go to sleep while I'm on it. I need to go to the doctor I know, but who has the time.

Darcy Foxx

mine do the exact same thing on the elliptical. my feet always hurt and go numb on it, i'm pretty sure it's due to bad circulation.

BrunetteGoddess

You have to MAKE time for your health Get thee to the doc!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Foxx View Post
    mine do the exact same thing on the elliptical. my feet always hurt and go numb on it, i'm pretty sure it's due to bad circulation.

actually, this is a VERY common problem. It most likely isn't anything to be concerned about. Think about it, your feet are still, in a position where you are putting constant pressure on them for the duration of your cardio. Try one of these: use some gel insoles in your shoes; wiggle your toes every couple of minutes; or as you stride, focus on slightly raising up on your toes (slightly!) at the top of each stride.

Hope that helps

God/dess
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's what I have to do to get the tingling to stop. It's nice to know I'm not the only one it happends to. I think I will make a doc appointment and get me some gel insoles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big_daddy View Post
    Fast food is almost out, once a week is it. I get to have 2 dognuts sunday mornings too.
    The second worst time of the day to have sugar. Also, if you are going to break your diet, don't do it in a fixed schedule.
    I drink diet soda but I'm going to cut that out too.
    I'd rather shoot myself.
    Cutting the sugar is going to kill me.
    I thought you were doing this for your health?
    Yes the jeep is keeping me going, but will it be enough in 2 weeks, 2 months....etc.
    What about after you get the Jeep? Then what, time to ride that roller coaster back up 125 lbs?
    My biggest problem is while working out on the elliptical machine it hurts my feet but I love it. The bottoms of my feet and toes tingle and go to sleep while I'm on it. I need to go to the doctor I know, but who has the time.
    lift weights and try a tread climber.

Sorry if this sounds negative, I was aiming for swift kick of reality.