Thread: Oh what the hell did I get myself into?

Thanks

Default Oh what the hell did I get myself into?

Hahaha I just signed up to be a Mary Kay beauty consultant. I don't even use the stuff. But the giant haul of products you get when you sign up is badass. (When it comes I'll post what's in it) I have no idea why I did this..but I figure I can make some money by doing free facials and selling products at the club, my apt., the base I'll be stationed at and for little old ladies at old homes might make me some extra cash.

Has anyone ever done this? Did you make any money? Any suggestions of where to find clients?
    Emiliana

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Oh what the hell did I get myself into?

When do you get the pink Cadillac? I've always wanted a pink car, but it would be cooler if it was something more gas friendly.

I'm an avon fan myself sorry (I love the mark glosses). I thought about selling it once in hopes of getting free products but I hate, hate, hate retail work so that hits a little too close to home. Do you have to buy some huge "decision kit" or whatever they call them to start up?

I'm not a fan of those home party type situations either because I always feel like I have to buy something so the hostess gets her "free gift" or whatever. I know of a drag queen around here that makes beaucoup bucks doing tupperware parties though. Maybe theres a shtick you can do?

Thanks

I would love to get the caddy Apparently they pay for the title, 80% of your insurance, etc. Yeah you have to buy the party kit for 100 bucks but you get like 400 bucks worth of stuff. Heh I was thinking of combining little beginner pole lessons with the facials and whatnot at my house. I dunno I'll probably regret spending the hundred bucks later but who knows. Apparently you get half of whatever you sell so maybe there is a little money in it.
    Emiliana

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I like the idea of combining pole lessons with the makeup. If you don't make anything off the Mary Kay at least you can charge them for the pole classes and call it a "girls night out" party or something. When I think of Mary Kay I do think of older women, but every time I drive past this one pole dance studio its always women around their 40s (hopefully they'll have money to spend then lol) Theres got to be a brilliant way to market it to them, but I'd just be talking out my ass trying about that. I know a bajilion people that sell Mary Kay (and post really pathetic sounding craigslist ads) so whats to make them come to you?

I can't believe how many pole dance studios have popped up on every corner here in the last few months. In the couple blocks around my house I can count at least couple months: Sheila Kelly's (although that might have been here a bit longer) and 3 small independent ones (two within the past month). The prices are through the roof and there are soo many people per class, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to offer a class with less people and therefore seem higher quality.

I'm not a sales pro like some of the girls on here though so I'd take my advice with a grain of salt. Something to chew on..

Goodluck!

...hehehe... email me to ask me where i am ! (i dare you!)
    Thanks

You have to sell alot to really make a go of it. I did sign up to be an AVON rep at one stage however realised that for the initial and on-going costs (purchasing the catalogues etc) it wouldn't be worth it for me until I had more 'free' time (and the inclination).

AVON can work if you put the work in ... the same goes with Mary Kay.

enter: E3167322D9 for your 10% discount

Thanks

Yeah I figured I would have to make the facial parties more enticing. I'm by no means a pole pro at all but I figure I could just show them how to warm up, dance around the pole all sexy like and maybe some super simple spins..I don't have insurance and I wouldn't want anyone getting hurt. just a girly "Boost your confidence and sex appeal" party. I mean who doesn't want a facial, little mani/pedi and makeover while learning to sexy dance for their boy right? Oh ok I'm getting excited now
    Emiliana

Featured Member NatalieFRPhilly's Avatar
    Thanks

I sold Meet Mark when I was 16 (that's the age they let girls start selling mark, then you have to be 18 for AVON.) and at first it was ok because I sold it to all my friends at school and all the girls on my hockey team, and all the mom's I babysat for. And I also worked at a salon so that helped. But then people start to realize that they want their products like asap, unless they are buying gifts. However I notice many women with their mary kay seem to be loyal to the brand so I'm sure you could still do well. It's just a lot of work, and following up on the customers to see if they want to place a new order.

Thanks

Im not sure how much monthly you have to purchase to keep in the program.. but I did avon a few years ago.. I calculated all i spend going to the grocery store on lotions and potions and special trips to sephora and figured i spent about $100 a month on products.. so just bought it through avon instead.. i broke "even" but i never lost money.. actually each month id get a box in the mail it was like christmas and was funner to do shopping .. I stopped because i didnt like the fragrances too much and they didnt send me samples so couldnt try them all like you can at a store.. and the makeup i didnt care for so much .. and alot of the lotions had mineral oils.. ect.. ect.. but if you just buy for yourself what youd normally get at a store i think you wont loose money.. a good friend of mine did mary kay for years and still loves it.. she also gets out there and has parties for her friends..so if done right it could be alot of fun and i think their products are a wee better than avon

Naomi12

How cute Mary Kay. My good friend started selling it and she did really well, I mean you have a lot of people who are interested in it...Go for it girl...!!!

Thanks

So I just had my intro meeting with the sales director. This is looking like an expensive and time consuming venture. No wonder I'm not a good saleswoman..I absolutely despise making commitments. The cheapest inventory set is 600 bucks plus tax! I'm suddenly overwhelmed with a "But i don't wanna!!" feeling. Hah..the second I agree to do something like this i start looking for a way to back out.
    Emiliana

Thanks

I have a client who is a Mary Kay lady, and she has introduced me to several. You can do REALLY well with it if you network and get way up there. I met one of the Austin executives (forgot their actual title). You'll prob. meet her too if you stick with it. They have excellent benefits for their upper tiers.

Or, worse comes to worse, you can get some cheap makeup for yourself and make a little cash out of it.

Also, FYI, its good day-to-day makeup, but probably not the best for that dramatic stripper look.

"Have you ever been to American wedding? Where is the vodka, where's marinated herring?" - GB
    "And do the cats give a shit? No, they do not. Why? Because they're cats."-from The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Mia M
    If a cupcake was tossed at me... well, I'd only be upset if it missed my mouth

Featured Member NatalieFRPhilly's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh and I forgot to add, and I remembered because of Katrine's post...the best way to make money easily is to get girls under you. Lol that sounds funny but if you recruit girls then you get a percentage of their earnings, plus you get bonuses when you sign on a certain amount. So you could sign on a lot of girls from your club, then go to another club and another and have a whole army of stripper mary Kay sellers. It works like a tree, you get money from all your little branches..if you sign up a girl and she signs up a girl and has a lineage of 10 girls signed up, you still get a percentage.

You could think of it this way, if you do decide to do it....selling your makeup is like selling lapdances, but what you really want to sell is memberships aka "vips." When you are dancing the vips (hopefully) are what distinguish the top earners from the other girls.

Good lucka nd keep us updated, I am starting to miss Meet Mark, but not really.:p