View Poll Results: Have you ever been a victim of Identity Fraud?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 37.50%
  • No

15 62.50%

Thread: Identity Fraud..way long rant..

God/dess
    Thanks

Default Identity Fraud..way long rant..

Uuuggghhh... I am going through the process of disputing fraud on my credit report. This sucks so bad, it's taking forever and such a pain in the ass!!
    I realized there was a problem when I couldn't get approved for a credit card. I have limited credit history, as I am so young, but I should have been able to get SOMETHING, especially since I have good factors in my history like student loans paid off on time, etc.
    So since I was having a hard time, I bought a copy of my credit report from Experian. I saw an account (credit card) with Citi Bank on there, and I have never banked w/ Citi, and I've never even had a credit card (yet). Also, there was an address in my personal information file that I have never lived at.
    The address did clue me in on something though, it is my step-mother's parent's address.
    Yeah, so my dad and step-mother are on my bad side. I have been living on my own since I was 15 years old thanks to them. My grandma told me that they took all their debt and put it on HER credit cards and made her file for bankruptcy. She did this willingly, because she loves her son, and he paid for the lawyers and everything... and she figures since she's old she won't need credit for anything anyways.
    So after she told me this story, I became very suspicious of things..and what do you know, there is that weird address on my credit history.
    So I call Citi, and we start this whole long process of disputing that account. They send me affidavits in the mail to fill out, they want copies of records of where I DID live when this happened .. they want me to file a police report (which I did reluctantly). And they sent notices to the other credit reporting beaureaus (sp.?) to send me copies of my credit report, in case I need to fix anything else.
    So TransUnion is the one I guess Citi is having me work with, but yesterday, I got a letter from Experian. They gave me a report number, and told me to check online to see what's going on. So I check just now .. and there is stuff they never showed me on the last report I got from them (which I ordered like April 5th!) There's more accounts showing up, although they are legit accounts. But under personal information, there's more addresses that aren't mine. I recognize them as my parent's PO box, and that one that is my step-mother's parents. Also, at the very bottom, I see that in the last 90 days, that step-mother's parents address is listed as my BUSINESS address!! WTF?!
    So I just got off the phone w/ Experian. I never got to talk to a person, there's not even an option to do so. I attempted to dispute these addresses (since, when I spoke w/ TransUnion last week, they said they took off the address/credit card that's not mine) but everytime I entered the address I wanted to dispute, I get this error message:

Error We store address information as it is sent to us by your credit grantors or from public records. This address is historical information and will remain on file.

(I copied and pasted bc I get the same response on the phone as online)
    So basically, am I stuck w/ these false addresses and shit bc it's HISTORICAL INFORMATION?? Plus, it's freaking FALSE historical information ... grrrr. This is so frustrating!!
    I want to call Experian back and talk to a human being, but right now it's just too much .. I'm so irritated, I want to just go and knock the teeth out of both my dad and step-mother's heads... grrrrrrr...

Sorry it's so long, I had to get it out ...

P.S. I added the poll, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering who else has gone through this hellish experience..

God/dess
    Thanks

Default Re: Identity Fraud..way long rant..

Ugh, how awful. It's bad enough to have this happen, but to have your family do it is terrible.

You know about statements, right? You can add a letter to your file that explains what your parents did and how those accounts were never used by you. But I do think that you will be able to get these removed -- you can show you didn't live there, right?

And with the fraud alert that's certainly on there now, at least they won't be able to do any more damage, thank god.

Oh, and make sure you check with all three credit bureaus (TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax) -- get your free annual credit report and start cleaning all this up.

ooooh. I just want to smack your parents. How hideous!

God/dess
    Thanks

I want to smack them too! But yeah, I've got my lease from my old apartment to prove I lived in another city at the time. And I spoke w/ some ppl, they're putting that fraud alert and I guess whenever I (or anyone else) apply for credit in my name, they call MY cell phone number which I gave. So I can say -NO!! I will be able to get this shit off my credit (although the whole bullshit about 'historical address', idk). According to TransUnion, the accounts not mine are already gone, now I'm just in the process of filling out these affidavits and stuff so Citibank and the local law enforcement can go through with their investigations.
    The only thing I was concerned about was filing a police report. My younger sister still lives w/ my parents, she's 15 and an angel. I'm worried that this is going to piss them off and they will retaliate against her. So I've already warned her, and my mother is trying to get custody of her. Also, when I talked to Citibank, they said it looked like there was another account w/ my same address, but the birthdate of a minor. So I hope they're not doing this shit to her also!! Grrr.

God/dess
    Thanks

Oooh, you bet your ass they are -- I wonder if there's a way for you to alert them for her? Or if she can do it? And I hope that this knowledge helps your mom get custody -- you know, the fact that your dad is a sleazeball who uses his children to get credit.

Good luck with everything!

Thanks

PCQ,

A quick couple of notes. Make sure that you have a paper trail for everything. When you mail something to the credit bureaus or credit card companies, make a copy for your records and send it by Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested.

When you talk to someone from the bureaus or credit card companies, keep track of the names of the representatives.

File a dispute with the credit bureaus not just about the fake accounts but also the fake addresses.

Good luck.

Yekhefah

Wow, your dad and stepmother are some scuzzy assholes.

This won't come off your record unless you press criminal charges, which you should do anyway. Identity theft is bad enough, but subjecting your OWN CHILDREN to identity theft (as well as sticking your own mother with your debts) is about as vile as it gets. They need to be in jail.

If your mom demonstrates to the court that your dad and stepmother have stolen your sister's identity to commit fraud, she will most likely be awarded custody. She and your sister should gather the evidence here.

Thanks

Oh my God!! This sounds EXACTLY like what one of my friends and her siblings went through a few years ago! In fact, they found out that with all of them combined, that their father had taken out over $750,000 in loans in their names without them knowing! The only way they found out is because a creditor tracked them down. Took 3 years for that shit to get straightened out (and he did land in jail).

Don't feel bad for your asshole dad and his wife. That's wrong...they'll learn the true meaning of reaping what they sow. Unbelievable.

Since your sister is too young to have credit, you definitely need to pull her credit and see what the've got on there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCurlieQ View Post

P.S. I added the poll, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering who else has gone through this hellish experience..
    I'm so sorry about what sort of hell you are going through. In all honesty, i think you would find an enormous amount of support if you went here.This is my favorite website. There are THOUSANDS of people on that site who are in the same boat as you. They share their experiences, and how they got these situations fixed.

So before you get back on the phone with those CRA's (Experien, TransUnion, Eq) check out the boards..

Good luck!

Some Douchebag: "[Pimp C] 12:43 am: its true we got to stick together the black people on SW CK you is teh condoleeza of SW"

Thanks

I don't know about in the USA, but in the UK, the authorities believe that (I forget the exact figure) something like 17% is committed by friends and family members. Scary really.

I really don't envy you. This stuff is hard enough to deal with, without the added complication that you are a family member. I must confess that I'd get pretty ruthless in return and I would see them in court about it, but I can easily imagine that most people could not do this.

Good luck!

Thanks

sent you a PM

God/dess
    Thanks

Everybody, thanks so much for your advice and support. This really is a tough situation, and I'm a tough girl..but damn it's really wearing me out. I'm definitely trying to research all possible angles before I make any moves, but I think I'm getting half-way close to being done with MY part of it.. of course I will have to wait for the CRA's to catch up. (p.s. idk what CRA stands for, I stole that from CinnamonKisses..lol)

Thanks again for everything guys.. hopefully I'll have this BS settled soon and I can start posting threads about how I ruined my own credit buying cars and diamonds and couture!!!

And if I DO post a thread like that^^ please, jump out of my monitor and slap me! I should know better!!

God/dess
    Thanks

OKAY, UPDATE:

I called my dad like 2 days ago to give him a heads up about the investigation, because he's got two young children, and I've got a conscience. Also, we bought a car (FOR ME) a few years ago, w/ my name as a co-signer, but I'm not using the car (because he took it from me), and he's paying late on the note, so I'm having more 'legit' credit problems bc of it.. anyways I asked him to refinance it w/out my name on it, or give me the car, and I'd refinance it in my name only and take over payments.
    So anyways at like 7 this morning, someone is knocking on my door. It goes away, so I assume I was dreaming. I get this weird feeling in my stomach, and around 8 get up to go to the door..not like whoever it was would still be there, but whatever. So I go the the front door and there's a paper sticking out from under it.
    It's a letter w/ my name on the envelope (in my father's handwriting). I don't know how he got my address, that's the number one thing pissing me off right now. I go to great lengths to keep my whereabouts a secret.
    Secondly, the contents of the letter. He's basically saying he refuses to refinance the car and since I am only a cosigner, there is nothing I can do about it. He says (of the accounts opened in my name) that I directly benefited from them ... which is bullshit because the last account was opened in the last 90 days and listed as a business account!! And I haven't spoken to them in at least a year. But he told me I need to retract any reports I have filed thus far, and not file any more, otherwise I'd better get me a lawyer. He says he can use my 'extracurricular activities' in highschool against me. Like, I was a trouble-maker, I don't have a record, other than the fact that I was court-ordered to get my GED bc I skipped school so much. I did lots of drugs, but there is no official record of such, bc I never got caught. Anyways, I don't know how they can use that against me, but they have a great lawyer. That's how they got custody of my little sister in the first place.....I'm so upset, I'm about to start crying.
    I'm sure I left something out but right now I'm not in my right mind. I need something to take the edge off..I'll be back...

Thanks
    Thanked 10,566 Times in 4,646 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

Actually, there's a large number of options open to you in dealing with these 'family' financial issues. However, given the degree of non-cooperation and 'stickitupyourassedness' coming from family members, all of your options probably begin with a good attorney and end with family members hating your guts. It would appear that the next order of business will be a decision whether or not you're willing to go along with the financial losses and bad credit repurcussions that are stemming from these 'family' financial issues, or whether you're resolved to start 'playing hardball' in order to begin straightening them out.

God/dess
    Thanks

Melonie ..

I'm ready to 'play hardball'. I'm so tired of them taking advantage of me, and everyone else. I don't understand how you can do this to your own children...
    I'm very frustrated right now, but I'm worried about acting too soon, only because right now I KNOW my actions will be emotional. But if I wait this out, I'm worried they'll get the upper hand and I'll end up losing this fight. They already have the advantage because they have money (for legal fees, etc), and they have a court history of kicking ass becuase anyone they've taken to court (my mother for one) has had to pay them dearly, and it's undeserved.
    The part that makes me the angriest is that they don't need my credit, they're only trying to avoid ruining their own... In the letter, he even specifically said, "Do you have some vast amount of money that we'd want to defraud you of? Of course you don't." And I think much of this letter was written in a way to avoid any guilt if we do go to court over this. But my dad and stepmother both make at least 80k a year, and get 12k from my mother for child support. They go on vacation like twice a month ..
    The only reason I even wanted to start this is because my credit is going to shit because of this. I don't give a rats ass about the car, or them... but I can't even buy a new car bc the loan on that first isn't paid yet. Plus, the delinquent credit card accounts... I only want to live my life, and I would love if they had nothing to do with it. But I guess I just ruined my chances for saving up money any time soon...

Thanks
    Thanked 10,566 Times in 4,646 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

well, if you're ready to play 'hardball', take a ride down to the bank that holds the note on the car in question. Sit down with a loan officer ... tell them that you have absolutely no intention of fulfilling your cosigner's responsibilities, and encourage them to repo the car. In this way your credit rating will take a hit, but the clock will start ticking and 3 years from now the car loan will fall off your credit report. If you continue to let the car loan drift on in delinquency, the clock won't start ticking on your credit report and every passing month will add more bad news to your credit report.

The bank loan officer may also be receptive to a cash buy-out ... i.e. repoing the car and 'selling' it to you in exchange for you paying off the outstanding balance in cash. This would get you a clear title so that you could resell the car if you wish. However, not all banks are willing to work these sort of deals, since the banks usually earn more money as a result of late fees, penalty interest rates etc. by letting the delinquent loan limp on and on.

Thanks

Go get a lawyer. Tell them the situation. Keep that letter. It's a nice little letter from your father ADMITTING that he's using your credit (and threatening you against taking your right to legal action against him for fraudulently using your credit). In these cases, past history has no bearing on whether or not it is ok for your parent to use your credit. It's NOT helping your credit if you father is taking these loans out under your name for TWO reasons: 1) he's making all kinds of late payments...which is causing your credit score to go down. 2) his taking these loans out in your name is a great way to get you red-flagged at the IRS. You have $80,000 in debt (or whatever) and you are (rightfully) claiming that you only make $40,000/year...that's a big no-no. So, make sure you also think about contacting the IRS and telling them that your dear old dad is fraudulently using your credit...possibly to using you as a "tax shelter". At the very least, it'll get the IRS doing an audit/investigation.

Do not allow him to intimidate you. He's doing it because he knows he's wrong. But, bastard forgot to consult with his lawyer before writing that letter...and that will help you. Go file a police report against your father for harassment...call all of those companies that they opened accounts with and close them NOW...and tell them that you are closing these accounts due to them being opened fraudulently (and tell them you'll furnish a copy of the police reports) and make sure that the credit agencies know about it all. The good thing about all of this is that in order to open an account anywhere, you have to have a siggy on file. While they may get your siggy "close" they won't get it exact and you can always request to have the siggys done forensic matching to prove you never signed those docs.

There is so much you can do. It may take a while and if your "parents" (they're not really your parents since real parents don't do this to their children) are making all this money, they can certainly afford to pay all of the expenses you've incurred to right this wrong. Hit them where it hurts them the most. The pocket.

Go consult with several different lawyers and see what they have to say and what direction they send you.

Good for you for standing up for yourself!!