Thread: buying phone off ebay

Thanks

Default buying phone off ebay

If I purchase a mobile phone off ebay and the seller is in Hong Kong will the phone still be ok to use in Australia? Would I have to get one of those power converter things and if so is it bad for the phone to use one of those for a long period of time or doesn't it really matter?

The seller has sold thousands of phones and has 100% feedback.

BrunetteGoddess

Default Re: buying phone off ebay

I think when getting a phone from another continent, it's good to look for a GSM phone with quad band, and get a phone that states it is "unlocked" so you can use it with any carrier.

I don't believe it's bad to use a converter for long periods of time, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks

thanks hun, technology has surpased me. I really dont have a clue when it comes to those things.

BrunetteGoddess

No problem. I don't know much either, R helped me get my SLVR when I was in Germany still

Thanks

you have to go about this the right way. Here's how.

Which Service do you want to use?

What phone technologies does it support? (a lot easier than it sounds)

and most importantly

MAKE SURE YOU GET A WALL CHARGER THAT FITS YOUR HOUSE OUTLET

But yea, if you're looking to get a treo off ebay, first, go to the cellular service website you want to use, and see if they offer treos. If they do, find out what technology the phones use.

Like I use Verizon, so since Verizon ONLY supports Verizon provision phones using CDMA technology, if I buy an GSM phone, I'm screwed.

GSM is a global standard for mobile. So if your service talks about gsm phones you should be ok as long as the phone you're getting is unlocked.
    People are not ruled by their memories.

Thanks

I've bought nearly ten mobile phones from HK sellers from ebay in the last four years and have had no problems whatsoever. A good way to tell if you're buying from a reputable seller is to check their feedback rating. A high percentage matters, as well as the count (1000+ is a good sign), as that represents the amount of successful transactions they've made with other ebayers in the past. Because at the end of the day, a seller with 95% feedback rating with over 1000 sales to date would probably be a more reliable seller than one with 100% feedback rating that's based on only a few sales. Also, look out for the coveted PowerSeller status.

And make sure you read the product description carefully to see if the seller includes an adapator in the deal as the voltage in HK is different to that of Australia's and the power sockets are different so the chargers won't match. It's not that big of a deal because adaptors are readily available instores here and aren't expensive, but you shouldn't have to buy one separately because it's the norm for mobile packages on ebay.

...hehehe... email me to ask me where i am ! (i dare you!)
    Thanks

I found one of my two phones off ebay from an aussie seller. Why go with the HK seller? Wouldn't the postage cost kill the "savings" ? My own personal rule of thumb in regards to eBay (and has yet to prove me wrong) is to stick to purchasing items from Australia, UK, Canada, USA only.

Too risky IMO to purchase from anywhere else no matter that their feedback etc.

enter: E3167322D9 for your 10% discount

Thanks

FWIW I have bought several Items form Hong Kong Sellers, and have had 0 problems!
    You Cant Quit until you try, You cant live until you die, You Cant learn to tell the truth until you learn to lie.You Cant Breath Until you choke,You gotta Laugh When your the Joke, Theres Nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive! Will you swear on your life, that no one will cry at my Funeral!
    Quote Originally Posted by cameron_keys View Post
    Yes please save me from this life of debauchery! You can all kneel down and worship at the Church of the Holy Clitoris to convince me!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoldCoastGirl View Post
    I found one of my two phones off ebay from an aussie seller. Why go with the HK seller? Wouldn't the postage cost kill the "savings" ? My own personal rule of thumb in regards to eBay (and has yet to prove me wrong) is to stick to purchasing items from Australia, UK, Canada, USA only.

Too risky IMO to purchase from anywhere else no matter that their feedback etc.
    Postage from HK is super cheap and so is relatively everything in Hong Kong... I bought 5 of the most fabulous crystal watch faces for like $20 including shipping.. it's been 6 years and they're STILL on time.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

- My Great Grandmother Bessie's Recipe for Success

...hehehe... email me to ask me where i am ! (i dare you!)
    Thanks

Okay, I will start to look at HK sellers now on eBay since it seems alot of people are having decent experiences with them.

enter: E3167322D9 for your 10% discount

Thanks

thanks everyone for the advise. The reason I mentioned HK sellers is coz nearly every listibg for the phone that I want the samsung D900 is from HK.

I had this phone and lost it and I was really happy with the D900 so I want another one.

Darcy Foxx

Glad you posted this... there's a Nokia phone from a HK seller listed in eBay Australia that isn't available to buy here yet. My current phone is trashed and I need a new one but haven't been sure as to whether this one will be okay. I guess I'll just buy it anyway.

Thanks

I have never once had a problem with a Hong Kong seller - ever. I mean, they even seem to package shit better. My watches came individually bubblewrapped and then wrapped as a whole. They were just watch faces! And any time I've ever bought from ANY Hong Kong seller, the stuff has been packaged similarly and always had great amazing feedback.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

- My Great Grandmother Bessie's Recipe for Success

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaizaine View Post
    If I purchase a mobile phone off ebay and the seller is in Hong Kong will the phone still be ok to use in Australia? Would I have to get one of those power converter things and if so is it bad for the phone to use one of those for a long period of time or doesn't it really matter?

GSM phone is what you want. You can then put a sim card in it, and bob's your uncle. If you have trouble finding a sim card, just go to 7-Eleven.

A Hong Kong phone will not require a power converter, but drop by a $2dollar store for a plug adaptor. Many phones do come with them. I'll send a pic of what you'll need, if you want to see what they look like, I've got a few laying around.

Ensure the phone is GSM and *not* IDEN or anything like that... or you'll have hell in a handbasket. Most of the places that are in HK and do business with Australia know this.

Watch the shipping!! Many places give a low item price and inflate the shipping to avoid ebay fees, and to make the price look lower.

I bought the last phone for The Empress via ebay, and am happy with it... well its more a woman's phone so um yeah she can keep it.
    I've come a long way since I believed in anything, and I've come half way around the world.

Where you come from is gone.
    Where you thought you were going to was never there,
    and where you are, ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

-Quote from a mix of Ministry's "Jesus Built My Hot Rod"

Help this cat on his quest for World Domination!

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lilithmorrigan View Post
    I have never once had a problem with a Hong Kong seller - ever. I mean, they even seem to package shit better. My watches came individually bubblewrapped and then wrapped as a whole. They were just watch faces! And any time I've ever bought from ANY Hong Kong seller, the stuff has been packaged similarly and always had great amazing feedback.

I have to agree, I've purchased lot of tech stuff from HK and been very happy with packaging etc.
    I've come a long way since I believed in anything, and I've come half way around the world.

Where you come from is gone.
    Where you thought you were going to was never there,
    and where you are, ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

-Quote from a mix of Ministry's "Jesus Built My Hot Rod"

Help this cat on his quest for World Domination!

Thanks

If anyone is looking for an unlocked RAZR type phone or unlocked one's in general, try getting one's from T-Mobile. Stay away from the Cingular version, as they are locked and you need an unlock code to use them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaizaine View Post

If you bought any mobile phone through E-bay,there may be a chance,it's restricted by some network. If you have any locked one,try to unlock your mobile phone for put your own carrier.If you need any phone unlocking service visit Here you can unlock your mobile phone at low cost.When i had the same situation,I followed the same way.So only i would recommend this one.I hope it will be very useful to you.