Thread: Family Traditions

Thanks

Default Family Traditions

What are some of the family traditions you can't get rid of?

Mine:
    -Making popcorn every time I watch a movie.
    -Man of the house puts on the Xmas tree topper each year.

I'll think of some more later. What are some of yours?

madmaxine

Default Re: Family Traditions

Fighting a lot! LOL

No seriously, my dad goes to Mexico every 1-2 years during winter/Christmas...Now that my mom doesn't interfere, we're all starting to make a "traditional" holiday visit to Mexico with him.

& We're proud to say someone in the family is always earning a college degree every few years. That's probably the happiest family affair that keeps happening.

Thanks

I miss my family. They're living in Florida still and I'm here in Oregon. Booo.

Growing up I loved our "odd" traditions (according to all my friends they were). I wouldn't change any of them for anything.

My dad would always take my sisters and me out for fast food for dinner or an ice cream if we already ate and always on Sundays. All my friends would complain about having to go to church on Sundays and I would be all excited knowing Sundays to me was father/daughter/sister time. Once my baby is born *pats belly* I hope to carry that on.

haha, My mom always would make popcorn whenever we'd watch a movie. I'd be in my room doing homework or whatever, smell the popcorn cooking and know that she was about to watch a movie without asking her. It was nice for a while until I started to get sick of popcorn! I only eat it once in a blue moon when my husband and I go out to see a movie in the theaters now. My mom still chows down on it.

hmm, We didn't have a rule about the Christmas tree topper..at least who would put it up. I just know that my mom alwaysss wanted us to put up the paper angel topper that my oldest sister made when she was young. I still need to ask my mom the meaning behind it..

Oh! Another Christmas tradition I loved was that my mom would alwaysss buy each one of us a new ornament each year. She'd buy them plain from the store and spend hours painting them especially for each of us. It was such a treat to wake up on Christmas day and search for our very own new ornament.

Another...my mom wouldn't put name tags on any of the presents..ever. She'd make a game out of it putting symbols and whatnot on them..putting a few new presents out every week until the day..making us think..trying to figure out her code every year..sooo much fun. One year my mom actually forgot the code..hahaha. She accidentally mixed up a few presents because she forgot the code but it was okay in the end..

Thanks

my mom used to make oyster stew every christmas eve.

God/dess
    Thanks

donuts for breakfast thanksgiving morning while we're watching the macys parade!

and on christmas eve for my entire life me and my brother get to open one present and theyre always in these snowman boxes with stick on pointy noses that are so old and taped up and almost falling apart since theyre so old. but we still use them!

Kaylinn

^^ We got to open 1 present on christmas eve to. Just cause I was a little shit who couldn't wait for christmas day...

but my mom got to pick what gift we opened, and mien was always a book. I think she just bought me a book to open every year on xmas eve so I'd have somehtin gto do and stop nagging her, LOL.

But as for family traditions that have carried over into adult life....I can't really think of any. My boyfriend and I are creating our own traditions....I bake christmas cookies every year. I bake enough for an army....and noone eats them. I thik this year I'll take them to a retirement or nursing home, so at least someone eats my cookies. They are good!

We hang stocking every year, 12 for each of us, and our 2 cats. And I fill the stockigns with ktty treats, and silly stuff for my guy...like a lump of rocks, a clit tickler, just stupid shit.

Every valentines day, I buy him a box of kid valentine cards, and I leave one in his car every day for like, 2 weeks. Last year, he got superman cards.the year before, it was sponge bob. They say the silliest things....

Thanks

Every sunday night everyone in the whole extended family would watch the simpsons. grandparents,cousins...all at different houses,then call and talk about it. I don't know what we'll do now!

Thanks

Every single year we celebrate Christmas and 'being a kid again' by eating a jar of babyfood. It's my favourite part. Picking my babyfood and eating it! My favourite is strawberry and banana pudding!

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

- My Great Grandmother Bessie's Recipe for Success

Thanks

Oh! And every Christmas is recognized with a new ornament. We always get eachother one. Last year I got her a kangaroo jumping out of a mailbox with a present in it's paws. I thought that one was PERFECT. For myself I got a large heart that said 'Australia' in gold. My mum got me a blue glass snowflake.

Every year we try to outdo eachother. She's never outdone my solid gold opal-winged dragonfly!... and she never will... MWAHAHAHA.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

- My Great Grandmother Bessie's Recipe for Success

Thanks

Watching Strange Brew and Blazing Saddles at every family gathering/holiday.

Beer.

Fishing in the summer, hunting in the fall/winter.

Summers in Joisey.

Boating on the Hudson.

Weekend nights at the track.

Beer.

OMFG so much food all the time.

BEER!

Gathering around for the sports games.

Um... beer.
    Number of times Rickrolled on stage: 6

Marasmus ... "Ladies don't fart. They butt-laugh."
    Marasmus says, "Oh no, that wasn't gas, it was merely a rectal chuckle."

Marek says, "A friend of mine got punched in the face by a dominatrix stripper about two weeks ago and I thought of you."

sun child

My family traditions?

-- going to Vegas on Thanksgiving (two years running now, and totally my father's idea)
    -- getting totally shitty on New Year's Eve (my parents decided to give my 13-year-old brother a shot, etc.)
    -- sweet potato casserole on Thanksgiving Day (thanks Mom)
    -- reading The Night Before Christmas Christmas Eve
    -- my mother and I share the same birthday, so it would be a tradition that we would celebrate together
    -- opening the presents on Christmas Eve and being lazy fucks on Christmas

Oh yeah, we're not even Christian. Well, my mom sort of is, but I remember my father explaining to me about Joseph Heller and Catch-22 in relation to Christianity when I was very small. No wonder I'm so fucking jaded. They used to give us sherry if we couldn't sleep. Going to Vegas is also a family tradition. I don't even know how many times I've been, especially as a child, because "it's not an addiction if you're winning," according to Pops. I stayed in the Excalibur when it was the largest hotel in the world.

God/dess
    Thanks

Summer holiday weekends down the shore.

Having to make the stuffing on Thanksgiving (the family's recipe)

Opening one present on Christmas Eve.

Celebrating all the September birthdays in the family together.

Easter egg hunt for the smaller children (plastic eggs with money inside)

Ranger playoff games at a local bar with my brothers

Watching History of the World Part II at least one gathering during the year and reciting it word for word

GODZILLA MOVIES!!!!!!!

Thanks

Eating after making money. It's been hard to get rid of.

Thanks

- Every Christmas when we were younger, my Dad had to be the first one in the living room where the tree was. We all woke up super early, and got my parents up. Then, with us 4 girls standing there, he would stand at the corner of the living room door. He wouldn't let us see in, instead he looked in first saying 'nope, no presents in here' or something silly. We would all disagree until he said 'okay, look for yourselves.' Then we'd rush in and find our pile of gifts. I think this way we didn't just get up without them and start tearing shit open... Seems stupid, but we still do it now and we are all pretty much grown up!

Lola Rose

matzo baLL soup when I'm sick, cholent (slowcooker stewish) on shabbos, hamentoshin (triangle silled pastries) made by the c hildren for purim...

my mom c alls me on my dirthday at 4:55pm, b/c that's the time I was born....

Thanks

Well me and my family don't have that many traditions, as I have a weird relationship with them. But there are a few.

- Every single fall my mom would make homemade caramel popcorn with peanuts and m&m's in it. Now that I'm older, I do the same thing.

-Thanksgiving dinner. No matter if we are all in the middle of a huge family argument and don't want to see each other, we all show up. There is something so comforting about waking up super early and cooking all day long with everyone. It's my favorite holiday not because of the food, but because of the bonding. Differences are set aside for that day and we just enjoy each other's company.

- For family reunions we all have a "white elephant" gift. And each year we try and outdo each other. I remember one year someone gave a toaster...that was used. It was hilarious.
    There's a wild side behind every innocent face.

End violence against women.
    I support Dottie.

Thanks

Group Showers.
    People are not ruled by their memories.

Lola Rose

I think masties fawmily should have a tv special... i'd watch....

cameron_keys

Its usually just me and hubby now, but we've integrated our traditions and come up with one ow two of our own.

Open 1 gift on x-mas eve

always full thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings...even if its just the two of us

go out to breakfast thanksgiving morning

listening to hubbys old radio show recordngs x-mas eve(all the old radio shows...Kukla, Fran and Ollie, amos and andy, etc...)

I have apple jacks for breakfast on my birthday

midnight snacks
    Last edited by cameron_keys; 08-24-2007 at 08:24 AM.

242_fair

Chicken soup homemade for anybody who gets sick.

Driving hundreds of miles after the oil / check engine light comes on before going to have it checked (grew up with a single mother)

Rinse out the kitchen sink with bleach (I remember my grandma doing this, stressing the importance, going home, finding my mom doing the same thing, stressing the importance of it, hahaha, now I do it too)

Spaghetti sause that cooks for 3 hours ... hmmm a lot of these are kitchen/food rituals

Allocating income tax returns money a long long long time before it actually arrives...

God/dess
    Thanks

this is a cute thread, i like it

my mom makes pumpkin bread every fall.

every december my mom and my aunt get together and make a TON of christmas cookies, every kind you can imagine.

going to ocean city in the summer. its silly, but i prefer that to a fancy vacation like a cruise or something.

easter at one of my aunt's houses, thanksgiving at ours, christmas at the other aunt's.

at christmas time, driving to see this one house that goes allllllll out like crazy, and seeing the 'big tree,' this tree that is freaking huge in someones yard that they decorate for christmas every year.

me and my mom going to nyc at the end of nov or beginning of dec for a weekend to shop and see a show.

God/dess
    Thanks

Most if our family traditions have died off, now that we live far apart, don't get along, and my grandfather has died. Used to be:

Going out for Italian for my grandmother's b-day and to the kosher deli for my grandfather's. (sadly, we never do this anymore)

Lemon meriangue pie at every family occasion, made by my grandmother. (This still happens sometimes)

Tea before bed-I think most of my family does this, even alone. Traditionally, it's with my grandma.

Women do all the washing up after dinners, the men hang out. <--hate that one.

Naming every girl Mary in some way or another. We all sound like Irish laundresses or something.

Yekhefah

Christmas stands out in my mind... after the kids go to bed, my parents stay up and create an awesome display of all the gifts under the tree. Santa doesn't wrap gifts in our family, just lays everything out in a department-store kind of display, with everything assembled already so the kids can dive right in when they get up. My parents would stay up until the wee hours setting everything up and drinking wine or beer. When I was about 16, I joined them to set up my baby brothers' Santa displays, and then they did mine after I went to bed.

Then in the morning, of course we'd wake up early as hell and want to go see what we got, but we weren't allowed downstairs until my grandparents came over. They only live about five minutes away, but it seemed like forever to wake up my parents and nag them to call my grandparents to come over. I felt so grown up when I was about 12 and from that point on was allowed to join my parents in a cup of coffee with a little bit of Bailey's in it while we waited. I haven't been home for Christmas in several years and I miss sitting on the stairs with my little brothers, wrapped up in a blanket, waiting to see what Santa brought.

I still have coffee with Bailey's on Christmas morning, just because I know my mom is doing it too. It's weird, my mom and I aren't really all that close but I find it really comforting to know we're having the same coffee and Bailey's on Christmas even though we're a thousand miles apart.

Featured Member teeth_of_the_hydra's Avatar
    Thanks

Growing up, my family always had dinner together. Dad cooked, Mom washed the dishes. Sometimes Mom would cook, but she only ever made roast chicken, rack of lamb, pot roast, or soup (usually cream of carrot... blah! Her other dishes were excellent, though). These days, my parents sometimes sit down to eat, but I think they go out more often than they used to, as it's usually just the two of them. My younger brother lives at home but he's not usually home from work by dinnertime (heehee, I'm so proud of him. He's only 20 but he has a big-deal sound design job). However, when I go home to visit now, my brother grumbles because it means he has to come home for dinner.

On birthdays and holidays and special events like graduations, we always got greeting cards from the pets. My mom was in charge of this... we had guinea pigs for years and she'd get them to chew on the corner of the card, as that was their "signature." These days, she finds cards with pictures of cats on them, and then includes a brief discussion (from the cat's perspective) of how this card was selected because "it looked like me." My mom is cute with her wacky antics.

Dad prepared homemade gelfilte fish on Passover. This involved taking the fancy copper fish-shaped mold off the wall, which we never used for anything else. It was always my job to whip the egg whites, because according to my dad I had "quite an arm for meringue."

Thanks

I loved reading all the responses! I got kinda teary eyed on some!